The Incredible Brilliance of Might & Magic (VI)

yeah you can always count on the good ol' M&M series, just installed 8, only tried it fairly recently, and havent finished it. 6,7 i've played through so many times, starting to have some hopes for X, its looking pretty good..

I've only played through M&M7 and I have to say the gameplay was quite gripping.

It got a bit boring once you got that special weapon imo. It's a bit the same with Fallout once you get some special item too. The game gets somewhat too easy and the sense of character advancement and magic disappears to me.

The story wasn't great, but the way you had to advance your characters was quite good. (special class quests)

I had played the game a long time ago when it came out and those skills were too daunting for me. I tried again two years ago I believe and I really enjoyed it.

A bit of a ramble, but hey, who cares ?

It got a bit boring once you got that special weapon imo. It's a bit the same with Fallout once you get some special item too. The game gets somewhat too easy and the sense of character advancement and magic disappears to me.

I tend to agree.

Once you get the blasters and tackle the last 2 or 3 dungeons (particularly the last dungeon in M&M6) so much of your development and tactics sort of goes out the window.

In M&M6 I don't even think it's possible to play through that while paused, it's a lot better to keep things in real-time and just have blaster rifles and the highest possible blaster skill you can muster.

It is sort of an old-school equivalent to what Risen and Two Worlds 2 did with their end bosses - sort of throw out all your character development and fight the last bad guy totally differently. Not sure why so many devs have chosen to do this.

Last edited:
I tend to agree.

<SPOILER ALERT> - Couldn't for the life of me find where I put the below text in spoiler wrapping…

Once you get the blasters and tackle the last 2 or 3 dungeons (particularly the last dungeon in M&M6) so much of your development and tactics sort of goes out the window.

In M&M6 I don't even think it's possible to play through that while paused, it's a lot better to keep things in real-time and just have blaster rifles and the highest possible blaster skill you can muster.

It is sort of an old-school equivalent to what Risen and Two Worlds 2 did with their end bosses - sort of throw out all your character development and fight the last bad guy totally differently. Not sure why so many devs have chosen to do this.

You use {spoiler} Text here {/spoiler} but with square brackets, like the quote ones…

I'm guessing it's because they thought it would be "cool"…

There is always the option of not using the blasters if you want to challenge yourselves.

@Pladio - thank you!

There is always the option of not using the blasters if you want to challenge yourselves.

I tried to but my party kept getting overwhelmed. It was just too hard and by the end of M&M6 I was ready for the game to end as the last 1/3 of the game is quite the grind as it is.

There is always the option of not using the ******* if you want to challenge yourselves.

It's not my role to restrict myself in games when they are designed in a certain way (imo).
And it wouldn't be much more challenging, just more tedious since the only thing they did when adding the weapons that were supposed to be in spoiler tags :D, is add 99999999 monsters to the last few levels.

Also, to be honest, it was the worst thing in the plot. Again, might have looked cool on paper, but to me seemed very tacked on for little purpose.

The plot was not the greatest, but it was fun to have one house plotting against the other and saving little villagers from dragons.
The end seemed tacked on by someone who had a few too many joints one day and ran to the board room:
X : High out of his mind, the writer pitches the idea, "Guys!, Guys! I just had the best possible, coolest, blow your mind out of the sky idea!". Pauses
Y : "So what is it ?"
X : "What is what ?"
Y: "The idea"
X : "Which idea ?"
Z : "Get him out of here, he's a goner"
X : "Gone where ?"
Y : "To another planet, maybe ?" and smiles at Z.
Z : Laughs
X : "That's it ! Let's make it so the world isn't actually a fantasy world ! It's another planet. And aliens have landed on it. They had to crash land and all these evil creatures are now terrorising the lands"
Z : "Uh, no?!"
Y : Looks at X, then at Z. "But, maybe..."
Z : "Just no!"
X : Looking out through the window, thinking of his next tube of ice cream to eat.
Y : "But, just listen, not like he said. But we could integrate into our story. Some aliens crash-landed and the heroes could get their weapons" Pauses. "One of the villains could have gotten his hands on one and terrorises people with it, gaining lots of power"
Z : "But isn't magic our game's special weapon?"
X : "Shut up and do it!" (Talking to his imaginary friend)
Z : "You guys are mad, let's do it anyway. It sounds cool."

Glad someone else likes MM6. I'm more of a MM3-5 guy myself but of the "modern" MM games, 6 is by far my favorite.

I love the Tomb of Varn, the seemingly never-ending spawn of dragons in the bombed out wastes out west, the true end boss fight (The only other true end boss fight in a MM game was 4, IMO)…MM6 doesn't have the alignment play of 7 or the imaginative races of 8, but it does have the best dungeons and the most incredibly outlandish fights.

I probably think of the last boss fight with the queen differently than most, since I never use blasters and refuse to learn the skill. I do it old school style: Shrapmetal and dual swords.

It's also one of my go-too games when I'm bored with the ho-hum new stuff. Right now I'm playing a lot of Morrowind with the new overhaul mod.

Back
Top Bottom