Good Old Games - Starflight 1 & 2 Released

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Starflight 1 & 2 are now available on GOG. They were the best space opera adventure RPG games I played as a kid and still replay to this day. If you can handle the clunky UI (compared to games now-a-days) and the basic graphics then you are in for a treat.
Overview:
In Starflight 1 you embark on a mission to save the galaxy’s future by discovering the secrets of its past. With over 800 unique planets in 270 systems to explore, you never know what might lurk behind the next star. Each newly explored system might lead to a powerful artifact, a mysterious alien race, or another piece of the puzzle that will unravel the ultimate mystery. And that's the really great thing about this game: the feeling of exploration and fulfilling that deep human need that drives us towards the unknown.
Starflight 2 keeps all the great gameplay of its predecessor, but makes everything bigger and better. Many aspects of the game were vastly enhanced: the game’s diplomacy, the size of the galaxy, and the number of alien races you can interact with are all improved the second time out. The gameplay—if not the graphics—are reminiscent of another classic game in our catalog where you wander around the galaxy exploring stars and chatting with humorous aliens who want to control the galaxy. The plot starts you out in a standard science fiction mode, but it builds to a fascinating and satisfying climax at the end. Basically, if you enjoyed Starflight 1, the sequel will be right up your alley.
More information.

/orgasm mode enabled

Yeeeessssss! With manuals and stuff!

/orgasm mode failed to end properly

Starflight 1 & 2 are now available on GOG. They were the best space opera adventure RPG games I played as a kid and still replay to this day. If you can handle the clunky UI (compared to games now-a-days) and the basic graphics then you are in for a treat.

More information.

Never was able to complete these two. But I totally disagree about the sentiment that pt. 2 was everything pt. 1 was and better. IMHO it really plays very different. Less exploration and much more trade. The atmosphere was a lot less mysterious.

Now this is a "good Old Game" I think I played it on a C-64.

The best version was the one for the Mega Drive.

This series also had had an unofficial sequel called Star Control II and it looks like Joe Ybarra developed another game called Alien Legacy.

I remember Starflight having this paper DRM that was really cool (you had to turn a wheel) - what is funny is that it was automatically cracked 10 years later on our faster machine.

A wheel ? Monkey Islands 1 & 2 had this, too.

Back
Top Bottom