Gothic 3 Disabling Auto-Retreat?

Acleacius

SasqWatch
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off Auto-Retreat of the towns and camps,
possibly a Console or Debug command?

Thanks. :)

Yeah, knowing how to do that would have made my game much better. What's the point of it anyway? I thought it was just plain stupid that after only killing 10 or so people (not even all guards or fighters), an entire city the size of (terrible at remembering names) Bakaresh would just run away and disappear. Player's should at least have to battle their way to the leader of the city they're fighting in and the people in the city shouldn't even think about running away until their leader is dead. Some of the orc leaders ran away for me when I was trying to liberate the cities and in some cases I didn't even make it past the front entrance before the city people just ran away! ....very disappointing!

Right at the very least having a Shawman magiclly disappear with a quest item is, well not good. :)

i really don't see how so many people had this problem. the shaman were the first to kill for me as getting hit by their magic is a sure way to die quickly. how are so many people surviving the shaman attacks? also since shaman are the important ones in orc culture anyone who has played any of the prior gothics has no excuse for not seeking them out as even if they weren't carrying a quest item they would be the only ones carrying anything of value/signifigance.

there might be a way to drop the bodies when enemies retreat as in case no one noticed although the enemies run off/disappear they still register xp points when they 'disappear'. so maybe whatever triggers them reaching that limit and cause them to basically die but not leave a body could be changed to die and leave their body. not really sure if that would be easier though than making them not retreat in the first place...

Quest NPCs running away is a problem if you start the assault by attacking guards near the outskirts of a town, and make the city retreat before you reach the quest NPCs. Quest NPCs should not be able to retreat in my opinion, altho the rest should be able to - it makes it easier to clear out a town, so you don't have to spend hours searching for that last orc outside of town behind a bush.

just like a thief must case a joint to make a succesful heist. a 'killer' who wants to go around killing everyone better do a good job at making sure he takes down the most important people. if you were really attacking a city then the guards would attack first realisticly in order to give the 'important' people time to escape. should they hudle in a corner and wait for you to butcher them? also if you were an assassin or mercenary important npcs would also carry a high 'bounty' in addition to items so not trying to get to them first or know at least where they are so you could catch them on the run is simply bad roleplaying. i really don't think that gothic or any game (especially a roleplaying game) should be built around/cater to not thinking and just going on a blind rampage.

people complain about combat being to simple/easy, but when it comes to interactions and reputations with npcs being sometimes realisticly challenging/unforgiving then people get upset. there will always be something for people to complain about...

That's all well and good except in Attack on Site areas like Nordmar, you can't plan, talk, negociate or case the joint (for the most part).
Personally I like to control battles so killing the leader first only means you can get help from Rebels for the most part, since I can't watch over 30 Slaves at ground level to assist or give healing, it's not important to me.

So finding a choke point then running through town with a crappy weapon (as not to kill) to activate the AI making the whole town follow you to the choke point.
Best case is leading everyone up to a tower and jumping off and coming in behind them, so they can't run, sadly that is not always possible. :(

Yes it makes great sence to attack the gurads on the edge of a city first and move inward, the majority of wars work this way.
Certinaly having a small contngent inside is good but it's not like armies start in the center of town and work outward, well except in games. ;)

It's even more annoying when you are fighting one of these guys with a quest item and they run straight through a cliff wall and go underground....

If you follow the people out of the town as they retreat you will eventually come to a spot where they just run in circles and you can kill them then.

Right, but you can never lose site of them and in most towns there are more than one exit.

I have been working on ways to control this, since we can't seem to turn it off atm and I have found that you can start assassinating them from the outside to the inside.

First a few quick pointers, during Sneaking you can't change Spells or Weapons (sadly) so you need to stop moving (motion), release Sneak, change Spells, then crouch again because you will be switching between Fireball and Sleep, right next to enemies, so you need to be able to do this without any kind of motion, so they don't hear you move.

Take an tougher example like Geldern, once you know you are going to free a town, wait till about midnight, start with the mines first cause you don't want to lose this xp.
As an example the one near the wolf mine where Samuel and his two hands go.

Remember all this needs to be done Sneaking even moving in the town and once this gets started if you get caught, its auto kill on site, so make a Hard Save before all this and Quick Save occasionally, maybe after you learn to clear a full room of say 5 Sleeping Orcs. ;)
It's interesting because you actually need to put 4 of the Orcs to Sleep even though they are currently sleeping because they will wake from normal sleep but not the Spell.

I put the merchant guy and the two hands to Sleep, then Fireball Samuel and his two hands, it's not necessary to put the Slaves to Sleep as they don't report you even in town (unless you kill one of them).
Once you clear all the mines like this of potential xp it's time to move to the Gate Guards, I found starting with the Gate where you teleport in easiest, because remember you have a couple of Guards at the Treasure room.
So same plan Sneak up to one Gate guard from the side (behind if possible) put him to Sleep and while Sneaking Fireball the other, then the sleeping one.

The safest bet is to work your way around to the other gate from the inside then Sleeping the two Treasure Guards and on Gate Guard, then killing each in the order you put them to sleep as the first cast will wake first and so forth.
(I would avoid even walking close to or going near the Leaders Temple, at this time)
What you want to do is kill all patrols, even the ones on the walls so moving through the streets "taking out da trash" :)
Then you can take care of the indoor areas like the mine and bunk rooms, but still avoiding the actual Temple Headquarters.

This is a bit slow going so if your not comfortable moving the clock back to midnight due to a strict personal RPing style, then you can leave go do something else and come back the next night, since you have taken out the Gate Guards you won’t get auto attacked by teleporting back the next midnight. :)

The Temple is the Hardest, but you must come at it from the second level from the bunks which you have cleaned out, since the problem is about 6 constantly roaming guards.
As you ease out occasionally one will be to the left in the dark but you should be able to see any with your Sleep spell active.
The best way I found was looking at it as three sections, the front (nearest you) and the right and left side.
There are stationary Guard (s) on the right so attacking the front is very risky, so the best bet is to Sleep the front Guard (s) then trying to Sleep one on the left and then killing the other and then quickly back into the shadows near the starting point in the front before the others wake up.
Then starting over again Sleeping the front Guards and trying to take out the ones on the left till you have no roaming guards, finally Sleeping the front and killing that pesky Guard on the right and finishing off the front guard.

Now you take out the three Shaman, but stopping short of entering the Temple here and going all the way back to the front of the Temple you have been avoiding.
Depending on how many people you killed in the houses we are getting very close to Auto Retreat here maybe a Semi Hard Save, also iirc the alchemist and merchants turn on you as well so you might want to go head and take them out, oddly enough the guy whom wants to me Lares turns on you as well.

Ok here I Slept the Entrance Guard(s) at the entrance then killed Nerick, now basically you should have two entrance Guards one outside and one just inside sort of hidden to the left.
So I Slept the outside Guard then Fireball the inside Guard if you still haven't gotten a pop by now your pretty lucky as you should only have a Guard and the Head Shaman whom speaks like an Italian Godfather. :p

Basically you want to work in to be able to keep them bottled up and this way when they run they all run the same direction and you can follow them to their looping AI spot, weeee! :)

Basically you want to work in to be able to keep them bottled up and this way when they run they all run the same direction and you can follow them to their looping AI spot, weeee! :)

And if you can't cast Fireball/Sleep, you take another strategy... :D
But to your post...in Geldern most of the Orks (and "orklovers"->merchants etc.) take the southern Entrance of the town to run away...

Is it still that you can murder as many people in a town (without witnesses) and if a guard wanted you for murder you answer "bite me", knock him down (not kill) and everything is forgotten? Or kill him - without others seeing it - and continue this with the next guard...

Haven't played since 1.12 because I reformated my pc and no games installed at the moment... :)

Is it still that you can murder as many people in a town (without witnesses) and if a guard wanted you for murder you answer "bite me", knock him down (not kill) and everything is forgotten? Or kill him - without others seeing it - and continue this with the next guard...

My experience with 1.12 is: kill enough inhabitants and the next murder will trigger the liberation battle without any previous dialog(I tried whittling down the population of Bakaresh by leading sand crawlers into town, and triggered liberation simply by attacking one of the sentries outside of town)...

After all these years, still looking for a command, script or edit to stop the forced Retreats.

Too bad, WoG English forums got shut down, might have been a good place to try and find the solution too.

Back
Top Bottom