Frayed Knights 2 - Small Steps Forward

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
We missed the latest blog from Jay last week on the Frayed Knights 2 development, so here it is. In this blog he talks about how his workload prevents him from making major steps forward.
The impact on home life and game development, especially over the last six months, has been far from insignificant. Fortunately, slow progress is not zero progress – most nights I managed to get at least a token effort put into the game. And during some stretches of time off, like Christmas and Thanksgiving, I made some lovely progress in just having a solid block of uninterrupted time to work on the game. But the rest of the time, it’s been a slow slog, making progress inch by inch. It’s a level of effort that I call “tinkering” rather than development. Unless you are making a very simple game, tinkering will not get it done.
This can be pretty demoralizing. Like I said, I’m still working on some basic functionality that should have been done months ago, but it takes me all month to get something done that should take only a week (or less). Fortunately, a couple of halfway decent weeks with actual time to put into things have done wonders. It’s amazing how, after long stretches of slow progress, sudden sprints can feel like breakthroughs of epic proportions. I’m hoping this is a trend that can continue.
More information.

So Jay's still working a 40 hour/week day job? Unfortunate.

HAHAHAHAHA!

For most of the time since FK1 was released, it's been closer to a 60-hour / week job.

I really wish I could even make minimum wage making Frayed Knights, but it hasn't happened yet.

However, things have settled down a little bit with the Day Job right now, and I've had people coming to me the last few days offering to help (even on a budget that's still almost as much of a shoestring as last time), so I'm really, really excited. Actually, the last few days I've been spending a lot of my time trying to coordinate these efforts.

So it feels like the worst is over, at least until beta test... :)

Hey Jay, I bought the first when it first came out but haven't had time to play it so much. If I lost the program who can I contact to get it again?

I always support you indie guys, and I like the work you did here.

Email me if the download link no longer works for you. I'll be happy to set you up with a new link.

Jay - was there ever a patch for FK1? You mentioned one back in October so I put it on pause and played Skyrim for the time being.

Yup, there was an update after the initial release. Current version is 1.04.

I'll certainly be available for advanced beta testing and a review like last time once you're ready. This game is at the top of my list I so enjoyed the original.

I hope the sequel is 10x better.

(I wouldn't mind it selling 10x more, too....)

Corwin you suck up;)

Back
Top Bottom