UFO: Extraterrestrials - Review @ Game Over

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A fairly low score of UFO: ET at Game Over with their review handing down 61% and citing poor production values and balance:
In concept, Extraterrestrials could work. I sometimes feel nostalgic for X-COM: UFO Defense, and Extraterrestrials is a game that attempts to be as much like it as possible. But there are two things that utterly and completely sabotage the game: the amateurish production values, and a whole host of incomprehensible design and balance decisions.
More information.

Can't really say I agree. Comments about the music just point to a lack of perspective. Remember the X-Com music? 3 notes. And when you get down to it, who gives a hoot about the music? It usually just gets in the way of tactical sounds like footsteps and dying civilians.

The game has zero "wizz-bang" value. It's all about re-creating the gameplay that made X-Com a classic. I think it does that pretty faithfully and successfully. The complaint about base defense is legit, and I don't care for the way the game handles ammo (it throws away partial clips), but those issues don't get in the way of the gameplay. For that matter, there's already a ton of user mods available to tweak the game if one so desires (I play vanilla).

Sounds to me like the reviewer needs to go back to SuperMario.

Sounds to me like the reviewer needs to go back to SuperMario.
Like the review that statement is to harsh. UFO: ET is an uninspired clone and the criticism is valid. And no Reviewer should consider user mods - if a game needs mods something is wrong and UFO: ET is crying to be modded. But despite all flaws I can't stop playing, the (still vanilla) game. The old X-Com fever got me again...

And no Reviewer should consider user mods - if a game needs mods something is wrong and UFO: ET is crying to be modded. But despite all flaws I can't stop playing, the (still vanilla) game. The old X-Com fever got me again...

I never bothered with any mods because the base game is just fine. Looks like you agree so I don't understand your comment.

I never bothered with any mods because the base game is just fine. Looks like you agree so I don't understand your comment.
Maybe my comment appears to be contradictory so I will explain it: I don't think that the base game is "just fine". Ok, it works and the game is almost bugfree, but like I said it's just an uninspired clone and it's missing many features of the original X-Com. Just compare X-Coms intro-movie with UFO: ETs long, boring and badly voiced one.

I'm playing UFO: ET unmodded now because:

- I really like this kind of game
- I haven't finished my first playthrough (got the game last week)
- The mod I want to play still needs some balancing - but take a look at the features of Bman's Ease of Use Mod v3.05 - X-COM Alien Invasion! Just amazing. Here is a screenshot of the additional options this mod offers.

Actually, we all seem to agree on the merits of the game, even about reviews being done on the "vanilla" release. I think the difference is in how much weight is assigned to "uninspired clone". I've had the same dispute when it comes to music, actually. I'm perfectly fine with something that doesn't "move the industry in new and exciting directions" and such. You've got a game that's bug-free and addictively fun to play. That's really all that matters in my book. Yeah, if Microprose was still around they'd probably have a pretty solid lawsuit, but so what. I just hate for a reviewer to trash a game based on the "ooo and aaaah" factor when that's largely irrelevant. After watching the intro movie one time, I escape out of it forever more, regardless of quality, so why penalize the game for a bad one (and yes UFO:ET's intro movie does indeed blow)?

As for missing features from X-Com, I'm not sure I see many after the official patch. The only feature I miss is the button that took a soldier out of the viewing rotation. The patch added hotkeys for most functions I thought were lacking/poorly implemented in the out-of-the-box release.

That's one of the key things that amazes me in the variety of opinions of UFO:ET. It feels so much like X-Com that there are ex-X-Commies that criticize the subtle differences this game over Microprose's original, such as lack of recruitment.

This is where every reviewer needs an "Intangibles" category. The game does not blow away anything in terms of graphics or originality but its fun to play and the only place to show that would be in a Fun Factor or Intangbile category (I once saw this on a hockey scouting book).

Again I say it: we need to have a review of this for this site between the three of us or Ubbarax or all four. My only problem at this point is it has been awhile since I played but I'm sure I could scratch something together.

So I'll put my foot down and say I'll do this now. Where do I sign up?

I'll join in a review effort once my new shiny shows up and I'm playing again.

If one or all of you want to write a review for us, you are more than welcome. Our review guidelines are here and we can support a main/headline review and multiple "second opinions".

Anyone can PM me about details or with sample/outline text and feel free to agree on some sort of work split between yourselves -- but let me know if you get going so I know the game is "allocated".

Standard editorial rules and standards apply - I retain the right to reject below standard writing or reasoning (sorry - don't mean to sound harsh but I think you understand).

I'd love a review, by the way, so go for it...

I'd say you can consider the game "allocated". We'll figure out how to manage the logistics.

I could go on -- and on, and on -- but you probably get the idea. UFO: Extraterrestrials is just a poorly made game. Almost nothing about it works, and there’s absolutely no reason why you should buy it when you could play UFO: Afterlight (or even Silent Storm) instead. So stay far away from this game, even if you see it being dangled enticingly from a bargain bin somewhere.

And so ends the so called review

I'm so glad the general gamer consensus is that this is a good game. A very good game. The first one I finished this year. The other ufo After-something just didn't work for me. But UFO Extraterrestrials just about played like the original X-com. I would say if anyone is interested in UFO Ext, go visit some gamer forums on this game. You'll get a far better picture of the game than that nonsense review.

dte - check your PM box. I sent you a little something.

Back
Top Bottom