Fallout 3 - Previews @ TeamXbox, RPGamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPGamer has a blow-by-blow description of the Fallout 3 presentation. Here's a grab:
As we explored the Wasteland, it wasn't too long before we came across some enemies: giant ants. This was the first opportunity we got to see how combat played out. There were two modes available. The first seemed pretty reminiscent of first-person shooters. The game's cursor was moved overtop the enemies and the hero fired his gun. In the second mode, Todd brought up a targeting HUD that displayed different sections of the enemy's body (like arms, legs, torso, head). Each section had a health gauge and an attack success percentage. Attacking through this method seemed much more like a typical RPG setup and should be more comfortable with those leery of FPS games. However, it definitely seemed like a lot of work was put into both styles of attack, and later battles in the demo showed that there was a lot more to both of them. For instance, our hero got into a pretty intense shooting firefight later on in the midst of DC's ruins, and this involved lots of rapid running and gunning. Meanwhile, a battle in some old abandoned metro tunnels showed us how the targetting system could be used to strategically queue up successive attacks against multiple enemies, and another battle against some giant ants demonstrated how hitting their antennae could cause them to become frenzied and attack their own allies.
...and TeamXbox are just discovering this Fallout thing for the first time:
One of the things that most impressed us about Fallout 3 is the writing and overall tone of the game, which puts the player in what someone from the 1950’s might imagine is the future. The design is excellent, featuring a retro-futuristic aesthetic that could best be described as the bastard child of The Jetsons and Mad Max. I mean, the fact that shooting the fusion reactor in a car that looks like a Studebaker will cause a miniature nuclear explosion speaks volumes about the artists.
VoodooExtreme has also kicked up three screens from the first magazine article, although the quality is obviously much better than a scan.
More information.

That preview from teamexbox is the best preview I've ever seen. Hardly any mistakes, and goes straight to the point, seeing Fallout 3 as the game it actually is. Very good preview, actually. And this one here is gold:

Although some people wonder if it’s just going to be Oblivion with guns, we’re happy to report that the game also features plenty of over-the-top gore, profanity, and laugh-out-loud funny dialogue.

:cool:

Yeah, that's really what FO is all about!!!! (assume sarcastic emoticon!!)

Well, the funny dialogue is a good sign at least. In Oblivion I don't think I came across anything even remotely funny. I seem to recall Bethesda being able to write fairly well back in the old days, in Daggerfall for example, so all hope is not lost (yet). :)

Back
Top Bottom