Risen - Screenshot @ WoR

Pretty but turn down the bloom.

I still find one of the most striking visual sky effects I've seen in games was the Barrier in the original Gothic, especially at night, when it would flare up and then disappear. Beautiful.

who knows, they might also wish to implement AA one day! :p
(at least for samples/advertising)
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana

Last edited:
wtf it doesn't look shiny and colorful like modern games. I may actually like graphic in Risen. And after turning off bloom it might actually look great.

It does look great. Don't know for the bloom or not, but I defintely liked it

I don't understand why people always complain about bloom (actually, HDR lighting). That is what it looks like in real life, so what's the problem?

I really like the look, and the 'small head' thing doesn't look bad there.

I don't mind lens flare but bloom is rarely done well. See some rather unfortunate examples here:

Bloom disasters

Also this screen is from Risen:

Screenshot link

Why is everything white glowing? Including the monster's face? It's just a completely crap effect.

I still find one of the most striking visual sky effects I've seen in games was the Barrier in the original Gothic, especially at night, when it would flare up and then disappear. Beautiful.

Definitely. Rather than just a pretty effect, it really added to the atmosphere of the game. I hope they can be that inventive with the effects in Risen.

I don't mind lens flare but bloom is rarely done well. See some rather unfortunate examples here:

Bloom disasters

Also this screen is from Risen:

Screenshot link

Why is everything white glowing? Including the monster's face? It's just a completely crap effect.

Thanks for that first link ... that was good for a laugh!

Yeah, Gothic 3 did not look that similar to Oblivion imo. The foliage in Gothic 3 was *much* better, and the bloom, while bad in some parts, wasn't nearly as obtrusive as what was used in Oblivion.

...and the bloom, while bad in some parts, wasn't nearly as obtrusive as what was used in Oblivion.

Well, *puts on his geek glasses*... that would depend on whether you were using "real" bloom or HDR (the even more "real" version of bloom ;) ) in Oblivion. The HDR in Oblivion was very intrusive and you were tempted to put on sun glasses, especially around the bright white Ayleid ruins structures, but the bloom effect was actually pretty modest in Oblivion. It's why I chose to play only with bloom despite HDR being the more advanced (and supposedly better looking but the cons outweighed the pros IMHO) technology.
Comparing both "pure" bloom (i.e. non-HDR... well, G3 didn't even support HDR anyway) technologies I'd say that Gothic 3 was worse, especially the shiny, bright white NPC heads and faces. That just looked really fake like Madame Tussaud's or something.
Of course there's no doubt that both games were (are) really state of the art in the graphical department so this really is just geeky semantics in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom