Dragon Age: Inquisition - New Game Details

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gaming Everything has shared some info from Game Informer's coverage of Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Story

- Game begins as Thedas is in chaos
- Chantry and the mages are at war
- The Seekers of the Truth and Templars are no longer tied to Chantry rule
- Ferelden continues to recover from the darkspwan Blight that ended 10 years ago
- Orlais is involved with a civil war
- Tear in the sky links the real world to the Fade
- Magic and demons come from Fade
- Rip allows demons to cross freely instead of using a mage host
- Demons/abominations are running free all over
- With everything going on, “there is a suspicious level of chaos in anticipation of this event”
- Reinstitute the Inquisition
- This is an organization that doesn’t answer to any outside power
- Inquisition puts aside politics and extracts answers
- “…about looking into what conspiracies happen, what kind of dastardly deeds could occur, when people are weak and naturally torn apart”

Inquisitor

- Your hero acts as the head of the Inquisition
- Lead the organization rather than controlling a foot soldier
- You’re left as the only survivor early on, which leads to this ascension
- Create and guide the Inquisitor however you please
- 3 classes: warrior, rogue, and mage
- At least 3 races: human, elf, dwarf
- No pre-set name
- Fully voiced
- Can be male/female
- Events take place as you perform them, not being relayed by another character
- Will need to overcome resistance, but this becomes easier as the Inquisition gains more power/respect
- Inquisition’s reputation/strength go up as you finish objectives, gain items, help others
More information.

Last edited:
I am very, very skeptical.

Honestly, I want BioWare to prove my skepticism wrong. What they say (voiced PC aside) sounds good. But I'm holding judgement until I see a lot more.

That is the wrong way for an Inquisitor to gain reputation and instead they are supposed to gain reputation based on the number of people they have tortured.

- Chantry and the mages are at war
Good. As a head of inquisition, I want to wipe them. Both parties.

Sadly, it's Bioware. I can't. I have to choose one of two sides and that's it.
But it's in fact irrelevant. Once the game comes close to the end, this is shown no matter what choice you've made:
- Tear in the sky links the real world to the Fade
And we discover that the Fade is a familiar place since Normandy crashes in front of our feet. Whatta fantastic ending for DA trilogy!
Yea, it'll need some work and "director's cut" later since fans will rage, but hell, who cares.

Yea, and DA4… It'll be about whatever. Morrigan there? Flemmeth? Someone else? Nah. They dead. Or somewhere with Sheppard. In Limbo or whatnot.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Played Mass Effect, and liked it. Didn't touch ME2, and had no desire to play ME3.

Played Dragon Age, and liked it. Didn't touch DA2, and have no desire to play DA3.

If the entire Mass Effect series comes out in one big package, and then drops to a cheap-o price, I will probably give them all a spin. Same thing with Dragon Age. I figure it'll be about 3-4 years before I ever see DA2 or 3...

You should buy and play both ME2 and ME3. They're good games. Don't buy DLC, currently it's almost as expensive as Train Simulator 2013 all-DLC pack (yea, I'm evil).

Don't buy DA2 unless you can get the game plus all DLC in a package cheaper than DX:HR currently is. Hard to happen, I know.

You guys try it out for me when it's released. If enough fawning-at-the-mouth is abound, I might give it a whirl 6 months post-launch.

Or bioware will stop selling them, like they did the NWN DLC. :/

Or the antitrust/antimonopol laws will kick in and there will be some way to buy them cheap on ebay.

Ok as I understand it, we the player shape the Inquisition. I wonder, how far it CAN be your own making? In DA2 the player was just tossed through a story and his impact on the outcome was close to NIL. That is what makes me skeptical about the idea, that in the end we will be hook-nosed down the same end anyway.

Ideally we would be able to shape the Inquisition into any form, from a power-mad Nazi-like rulership to a wise Jedi order simile.

Sidenote: Are they aware that the name "Inquisition" is a VERY VERY bad choice of word? The Inquisition of real history killed millions of people. It's a bit like calling a game organization after some Nazi group like "SS" or what. I am not feeling too fond being called "leader of the Inquisition".

Yeah, I have the same reaction. I can only assume its intentional - everybody knows what the inquisition was.

unless, of course, it's the spanish inquisition. cos no one expects that! :D

unless, of course, it's the spanish inquisition. cos no one expects that! :D

Heh heh good one... I hope there's a recurring conversation option! :)

Ok, so now we are down to 3 different races and 3 different classes? Hurray Bioware.

Ok, so now we are down to 3 different races and 3 different classes? Hurray Bioware.

Yeah it could be better - was hoping for qunari as a playable race. But to be fair, three races and three classes is the same choice that we had in Origins, and an improvement on DA2.

I am optimistic about this. All I want them to add is (1) the isometric camera and (2) better dialog choices (stats based dialog choices, etc.) and I will buy it.

Sidenote:The Inquisition of real history killed millions of people.

Not trying to nitpick or trivialize here, but the Spanish Inquisition (which was supposed to be the worst) is probably "only" responsible for between 3,000 and 5,000 executions (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition#Death_tolls), with about 150,000 people processed by the Inquisition. Considering the demographics of that time, "killing millions of people" along with plague, war, and famine would have left Europe basically empty.

Personally I just hope you can actually play a celibate hard-ass who crushes all the wimps. Also, I wonder what the first DLC is gonna be. Maybe "DA:I Cat-O-Nine-Tails Pack"? :D

Oh, and if they keep their DA2 spawning method, they just MUST add somewhere the line "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!" and then have some guys in red robes parachute in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE

Last edited:
Or bioware will stop selling them, like they did the NWN DLC. :/

Actually Atari was what stopped the sale of the premium modules for NWN and Bioware was still planning on releasing more before Atari stopped it.

PS. You can get NWN with everything (including all premium modules) on gog so you can easily get it now.

So far nothing to suggest that it won't be a first person slasher a la Skyrim... Also, we will never get an answer to the maturity&tone question. Will there be more 'come felicitate me' -style writing with zombie mother -type quests, or are they actually designing DAI for people older than 13. Thirdly - will this be an Origin exclusive again?

Back
Top Bottom