RPGWatch - Subterranea Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Subterranea is the one of the newest RPG Kickstarters to go live this week. It's the brain child of a man called John Mabbott who founded a studio called Cloud Nine Games.

He describes his game as the following, " An Adventure through a world rife with peril and intrigue, to solve a dangerous mystery in this fantasy, turn-based CRPG".

I had the chance to ask him a few questions in my latest interview. We talked about his game, his Kickstarter, and a few other various questions.

RPGWatch:Thanks for agreeing to the interview John. Can you tell us a little about yourself, and your game Subterranea?

Cloud Nine Games: I'm a long-time fan of single-player CRPGs, and grew up on Pool of Radiance, Bards Tale, Ultima, Might & Magic and some Wizardry. My day job took me into software development for banks, however I've always had a burning desire to build a CRPG like the ones I used to play, in a modern engine with all that offers, including "newer" graphics, smooth animations, physics, etc. The time has come to make this come true!

Although I know it's an over-used setting, I still love the typical D&D high fantasy setting, and think that there still some ways to keep parts of it fresh. I like a realistic/gritty world rather than a cartoony/over-the-top one, so Subterranea will be closer to the vibe of a Witcher or Gothic, rather than a Kingdoms of Amalur, although obviously the gameplay will not be like those ARPGs!

My design philosophy with Subterranea is to push some of the technical boundaries of what's been seen in tactical, party-based CRPGs to-date. The best examples of the genre tend to use beautifully-drawn, but static, 2D backgrounds. I want a dynamic, vibrant, fully-3D world, full of emergent gameplay possibilities.
More information.

Enjoy the second interview this week, and I hope you find it longer than the last two. I have one more this week, but it's more of a short Q&A for Saga Heroes.

Also don't forget to post your questions for the developers of Darkest Dungeon.

Here is the link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061244179#post1061244179

As for Subterranea keep spreading the word as the games funding has stalled, and needs a boost. So far the game has made $2,245 of the $12,500 goal.

Yep definitely meatier this time ;)

Wish the project creator luck.

The interviews won't matter if it doesn't get people here to back. Subterranea got $2200 on the first day and it's still sitting there five days later. The guy is only seeking 12,500 and he's not going to get close unless there is a massive change.

The game specification holds a lot of promise - I'll keep an eye on this one.

Thanks for the interview!

The interviews won't matter if it doesn't get people here to back. Subterranea got $2200 on the first day and it's still sitting there five days later. The guy is only seeking 12,500 and he's not going to get close unless there is a massive change.

What's crazy is JMab just said in the KS comments he has already received 1,000 yes votes on his Steam Greenlight page, yet only 60 people have backed the game.

While I know some people just "don't do Kickstarter" or don't have a lot disposable income to spend on a game that won't be out for about a year, you would think more than 60 would be willing to put down a mere ~$16 to get a copy of the game. Sadly, most of these yes voters probably hope to get the game for a few bucks on a Steam sale down the line.

Game need more coverage from sites like RPS.Having coverage on watch and codex unfortunately isn't enough.

I didn't backed this because there are months I buy several games and back several kickstarters and there are months I suffer for it:).I might have some money later at the end of month.

Last edited:
Game need more coverage from sites like RPS.Having coverage on watch and codex unfortunately isn't enough.

That's easier said then done as most larger sites wont even cover a kickstarter unless it's half funded. RPS used to post roundups, but has stopped in favor of more idiotic articles. It's a site I visit just for the interviews now. :disappointed:

That's easier said then done as most larger sites wont even cover a kickstarter unless it's half funded. RPS used to post roundups, but has stopped in favor of more idiotic articles. It's a site I visit just for the interviews now. :disappointed:

I truly miss Kickstarter Katchup, was a great feature that helped a lot of projects imo.

That's easier said then done as most larger sites wont even cover a kickstarter unless it's half funded.

I am aware that it's hard to get coverage form mainstream sites, so I am not criticizing developer just stating obvious.To even get to them and other mainstream sites you need to hire PR agency and most of them don't even do kickstarters.

RPS used to post roundups, but has stopped in favor of more idiotic articles. It's a site I visit just for the interviews now. :disappointed:

Quality of interviews has gone down also but less than everything else on RPS.

I am aware that it's hard to get coverage form mainstream sites, so I am not criticizing developer just stating obvious.To even get to them and other mainstream sites you need to hire PR agency and most of them don't even do kickstarters.
I agree with hiring a PR agency. The problem with them is cost, and finding one that will represent you the right way. Various projects have shared the problem finding one.

This project along with Zaharia are both promising. I hope both find a way to developed. As of right now one has seven days left, and the other twenty four days.:please:
Quality of interviews has gone down also but less than everything else on RPS.
Yes the quality of interviews is slipping also. I wonder if it has to do with certain staff leaving, and the sites new agenda when it comes to certain topics.:thinking:

Last edited:
I reached out to Chris Avellone and Brian Fargo via Twitter to ask them if the could take a look at the Subterranea KS. Chris got back to me straight away and said he'd put it on his "to review" list and get to it if he could. So, if anyone knows Chris, giving him a nudge might be very helpful! ;)

Yes the quality of interviews is slipping also. I wonder if it has to do with certain staff leaving, and the sites new agenda when it comes to certain topics.
People leaving? Don't they have six full time staff and about six other regular writers? What mostly irks me about RPS is that they insist on being regarded as "professional" games journalists, yet don't do basic proofreading of their own articles.

I reached out to Chris Avellone and Brian Fargo via Twitter to ask them if the could take a look at the Subterranea KS. Chris got back to me straight away and said he'd put it on his "to review" list and get to it if he could. So, if anyone knows Chris, giving him a nudge might be very helpful! ;)

CA and BF seem like awesome guys. Only problem is they probably get contacted by every single KS game developer... If you haven't already, try reaching out to some less famous KS project creators, too. Numantian games (developers of Lords of Xulima) comes to mind as one you should ; while their game is very different visually from Subterranea it has some gameplay elements in common: turn-based combat, create your own party members. They "only" have 1300 backers but might be more likely to do a shout-out in their next update or give you some tips.

Back
Top Bottom