Sui Generis - Combat Video

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
And as we are with Kickstarter updates here is the latest for Sui Generis (currently at 10% of its goal), showing some pre-alpha combat.

More information.

I'm liking the style pf passing underneath attacks, attacks flowing into each other... it looks like a non-mashy-buttons game to me. Like Elveon might have been.
I'll be keeping my evil eye on this one even if all the characters look as if they want to fall over all the time at the moment :)

I like how there seems to be real weight to the weapons and blows. I suspect the combat looks a bit "drunken" in part because we are so used to see Hollywood-combat with plastic and balsa-wood weapons...

I have pledged - I like the look of physical mechanics etc. But I see they are not doing too well :-/ I hope they can drum up more support - at the moment the campaign seems a bit sparse on game mechanics, world etc. It seems they did not realise how much work it wouydl be to run a good KS campaign, and they do not really have time?

this is definitely original, but at times because of the physics engine, the fighting looks a little sloppy. Just two combatants haphazardly flailing away at each other. It would be better to see more control and better timing with the fighting techniques. Don't get me wrong, I think it's super cool! It almost looks real, and that is a big accomplishment!

I would also like to see them use shields and see how that would change how the fight plays out.

I like how there seems to be real weight to the weapons and blows. I suspect the combat looks a bit "drunken" in part because we are so used to see Hollywood-combat with plastic and balsa-wood weapons…

It looks like a string puppet show. You can tell where the string are attached.

The model's feet aren't flat on the ground all the time, which is, you know, important for balance. They fix the feet and the whole thing would look much better.

Trouble here is that team came up with a historical and singular project.

It is historical as it resumes a major video gaming aspect where it was dropped off and it is singular as so few other studios are attempting the same.

On the paper, both these two characteristics should have been enough to muster enough support (and more actually) to fund the project.

The miscalculation here is to assume that players want novelty and not more of the same. Very often, people throw stones at corporations for the lack of innovation when corporations have more likely well profiled their customers who when saying to say something new actually want to play the old same, a bit redressed.

They showed up to reduce the risks that nothing will be delivered arond March 2014.

But as potential backers are not attracted to the substance of the project, they are now forced to provide on secondary features in the game.

Like combat while they stated that combat will not be that big in the combat department and story.

It's been a while I did not play a game for its scripted story but even without that, looking at the rooster, it is obvious the story can not be a central point in the game. No professional writer in it.

Added to that, the story will go on dynamically which makes it even harder to report on that dimension, contrary to a well structured story when every ins and outs are known beforehand.

They are going to be slowly forced to give what they wanted to avoid as gamers want them to give the same exact old.

KS is a very valuable source of information.

This is really impressive. I have already decided to pledge this. (i will tomorrow when I get my salary:)

I was already convinced by the pitch video. Maddoc Evans (i hope recall his name right), actually has the tech side ready. Same cannot be said about other ks projects i've backed. I understand Sui Generis concept and what they are wanting to do. However they would get more backers if they shared more details about gameplay, rpg rulesset, lore, character development, quests (if there are such), characters etc.

Tech demo is really impressive, but the devs need to share their vision more clearly. Maybe do some interviews too?

About the combat: I've never been in a fight before but I imagine a "fight for your life" situation would look like that… I think all technique and stance go to hell when you're facing a giant ogre or a madman waving an axe at you =/
The physics are such a huge plus too! I like the fact that you can cast spells, kick you opponent when he's on the ground and it actually has a real effect on his balance and fighting capability because of the physics. I think it's genius and I really want this game to happen.

Yeah, I'm going to pledge today but this game isn't going to make it without a lot more effort from the team. So far, we've only seen one guy pitch the game and that isn't going to fly.

That was a breath of fresh air, seriously. More realistic than most of what I've seen. Real combat is raggedy-assed and disjointed. There are no style points; you're trying to survive while attempting to kill the other guy any way you can

That was amazing. I have never seen more realistic responses to hit and the environment like this before; are they using motion capture or a rag doll physics algorithm of some sort - this must be very computation intensive if not motion capture.

I still however agree with crpgnut, I have yet to see something about the story, writters, lore, and rpg mechanics before pledging. A tech demo is a tech demo, not a game.

Superb! I love the slow, clunky feel of the combat. Almost as much as I love their promise of an open, dynamic world. To me, this is the best kickstarter yet. Well, perhaps not counting Project Eternity.

It also highligts how awful the combat was in Dragon Age 2. It's ridiculous when some skinny dude makes high jumps while swinging an enormous two-handed axe as if it was a fly swatter.

I still however agree with crpgnut, I have yet to see something about the story, writters, lore, and rpg mechanics before pledging. A tech demo is a tech demo, not a game.

New updates is about characters progression.

This game has so much potential. What bugs me is that if the devs had a little bit more dedication or know how about kickstarter mechanics this would be such a great campaign =/

I see there's a ranged spell that knocks an opponent to the ground. Wouldn't that basically become an "I win" button?

I see there's a ranged spell that knocks an opponent to the ground. Wouldn't that basically become an "I win" button?

No.
Without giving it too much thought I can see four solutions for that.
1) It takes some time for the mage to cast the spell so when you see he`s casting, get out of the way or disrupt him. Also, the devs could make the mage move and aim at a slower speed when casting.
2) If the target is lightweight, send him flailing and make him fall when struck by the spell BUT since he`s lighter and nimbler, and depending on his health and constitution, make it so he can recover from the fall quickly. On the other hand, if he`s heavy and big, he should not be sent flying but just stagger, unless the spell is really strong.
3)The spell should have a cooldown time so you can`t spam it.
4) If you`re a mage too you should have counterspells.

Back
Top Bottom