The TV Series discussion thread

Grimm is probably a decent reference point. SH foreshadowed the crap out of an "ongoing battle between good and evil" where both sides are fitting in with society and doing their dirty work in the shadows. Didn't get much detail of it in the pilot, so we'll see where it goes. I'd say Grimm has a fundamental advantage with the ability to introduce new mythical creatures every week while SH will be largely limited to The Horseman and a bunch of witches, but it's really too early to say how SH will develop.

Does anyone watch Wilfred (US)? I was kinda intrigued about it because it was so unique but the novelty has worn off and I started to wonder why I was still watching it. It's just the dog manipulating or abusing Ryan. That's it. I got to the end of the first season where Ryan meets the Italian girl and she invites him to go away with her, but Wilfred guilts him into staying. I just thought that was so stupid and gave up.

I jumped ahead to season two to see if it got better and it was a bit interesting beause it started to explore Ryan's sanity and what part of his life was real and what was just an illusion. But does it get better from there or does it just go back to Wilred abusing him?

That nobody seems to watch? You're basing this on what? Sopranos had per episode US viewership as high as 13.4 million. That's comparable in terms of gross viewers to some recent seasons of the current most popular broadcast shows like the big bang theory, despite being on a premium network and from an earlier year. Sex and the City didn't have quite the same peak viewership, but its finale did make it to number 77 of the top 100 most watched airings on TV of all time.

yep, those are some pretty good numbers in this day and age. it takes awhile though I noticed to get decent numbers for a cable show even when its hyped. in the case of Netflix and its new shows I'm guessing they don't need as many numbers, so long as they're tracking you.

I'm wondering with binge show direct viewing if we could see the end of commercials and product placement (in theory) like cable tried to hype itself onetime.

I wonder if they quite realize that they they can dispense with episodic type series. If your binge watching why does everything need to be broken up into 1/2 hour - 1 hour long segments? Why not continuous play?

R.I.P. Breaking Bad. You were one hell of a ride. :clap:

+1. The finale started off a little slow imo, but brought everything together nicely if not slightly far-fetched. It certainly beat the hell out of the Seinfeld finale :)

I watched Talking Bad a few times this season and were it not for the insider tidbits from the guests on the show would not. The host is irritating and his whole schtick about "getting through this" had become tiresome over the past few episodes.

Last edited:
The end was quite predictable, and at least he died. Walter living after all the damage he'd caused would have been unbelievable for me. I would have preferred to see him rotting (literally) in jail for a bit, but death worked too. Poor Huell, I guess he's just gonna be stuck in that motel room forever. The wife lives and gets away with her faults, but I think she'll be paying a price for the rest of her life.

I wanna know who the original idiot was that decided that having a show to talk about a show made any kind of sense. Perhaps this is where network tv would at least draw a line, lol. I think I've only seen AMC do this so far, I find it hard to believe that these shows would attract any audience whatsoever, but then again I don't get reality tv either.

-Carn

I wanna know who the original idiot was that decided that having a show to talk about a show made any kind of sense. Perhaps this is where network tv would at least draw a line, lol. I think I've only seen AMC do this so far, I find it hard to believe that these shows would attract any audience whatsoever, but then again I don't get reality tv either.
Don't know that it's really a unique approach. Most of the singing contests have been doing it that way. You get one day of performances followed by a second day of replays and chit-chat and 3 minutes of voting results. A slightly different take on the ploy is being done by FX for their popular series- the separately scheduled "3 minute review" of their big shows like Sons of Anarchy and The Bridge.

I think they'd have better luck if they used their unique resources (actors and crew) to give insider/backstage views rather than just having a gabfest with a host who's best talent is a carnival barker voice.

Had some time lately to watch a few shows…

Broen (Danish crime show) - 8/10. Fantastic show, overall - and a very nice ending. I actually think it's on par or better than Forbrydelsen. Saga Norén went from being the most annoying female character ever - to being my favorite female character ever ;)

Breaking Bad - 7/10. I liked it and I thought the ending was good - but I guess I never got all that worked up over it. I never found the characters all that interesting.

While the cat decided to show at the little door at last, did anyone watched some new BBC show Atlantis? The word is they're airing it for fantasy hungry audience since Merlin ended.

Is it any good?

I saw it, but am ambivalent so far. It wasn't bad, and I plan to watch more before making a final judgement, but it certainly wasn't great.

The end was quite predictable, and at least he died. Walter living after all the damage he'd caused would have been unbelievable for me. I would have preferred to see him rotting (literally) in jail for a bit, but death worked too. Poor Huell, I guess he's just gonna be stuck in that motel room forever. The wife lives and gets away with her faults, but I think she'll be paying a price for the rest of her life.

Yeah I guess there were a few loose ends left. It seemed as though the sisters were on their way to reconciliation after only a short few days, but it's not as though Skyler had much right to be angry at her sister. And poor Huell I had forgotten about. I had expected/hoped for some type of scene taking place years after the end with an update, like a short paragraph or something telling us what happened to the characters, but maybe conjecture is more fun.

The thing I never understood is the camp that really was pulling for Walt to get away. He was an interesting variation on the stereotypical meth cooker, but still deserved his comeuppance.

I find its value only in getting to hear the insiders' stories. Since I rarely buy TV series DVDs (except you, Downton Abbey. Damn!) I won't get to hear that stuff from the extra features.

It seemed as though the sisters were on their way to reconciliation after only a short few days, but it's not as though Skyler had much right to be angry at her sister.

I think a lot more time had passed than that. They gave the impression that Walt had been hiding in that cabin for over a month.

As far as the finale in general, I think it was close to impossible for it to live up to expectations. Personally, I was a little disappointed, but it doesn't change my opinion about the show in general. Breaking Bad was easily a 9/10 for me.

There's going to be a spinoff starring Bob Odenkirk titled "Better Call Saul". :)

Walt was in the cabin for way more than a month, the snowfall actually changed 2-3 during the time he was there.

Hmmm I don't know a single person that was pulling for Walter to live. He was a criminal, at best he's lucky he didn't get what he truly deserved.....actually, he died where he was most happy imo, in a meth lab. Let me go a bit further with Walter, because calling him a criminal could imply he stole a twinkie or two....this cat waged war on children.

Also, I'm fairly sure once Skyler alerts the police to where the two agents' corpses are buried, she and Marie will be right as rain. The phone call started it, getting to put her husband to rest in a plot will bring the sisters back together for life.

-Carn

Walter was just a person caught up in very bad choices with no way out. I think that's one of the best parts of the show - that they dared to portray a character change so significant in a realistic way.

I'm not surprised a lot of people wanted him dead :)

But I felt great pity for him.

So anyone seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? I must admit that my expectations were low but yet it managed to dissapoint. I mean, what a joke. Characters were laughable cliché and the show really lacked ambition. The first episode didn't leave me wanting more.

So anyone seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? I must admit that my expectations were low but yet it managed to dissapoint. I mean, what a joke. Characters were laughable cliché and the show really lacked ambition. The first episode didn't leave me wanting more.
I've watched all 3 episodes so far and the series is hanging by a thread for me. I was also hoping for mindless entertainment and they've struggled to hit even that low bar. If they don't improve soon, I'll be dropping that one.

I've been watching S.H.I.E.L.D, have to be honest I expected it to be far better than it has been, at least so far. The 3rd episode gives me hope, at least we saw the origin of one of the major villains for the Avengers, so I'm really hopeful that we may see more of him in the future, or other origins may come along. The Jackson cameo at the end of the 2nd episode didn't hurt, either.

Well I liked it. So far first two episodes though, it's aired later here than in USA.
Then again, I've expected a action no-drama no-romance no-soap no-deep-thoughts no-cry-me-a-river-yuck-stuff series and that's what I got.

Well I liked it. So far first two episodes though, it's aired later here than in USA.
Then again, I've expected a action no-drama no-romance no-soap no-deep-thoughts no-cry-me-a-river-yuck-stuff series and that's what I got.
The romance angle is in full force as of episode 3. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom