Gothic 4 - First Look @ Gamespot

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Gamespot have had a look at an early build of Gothic 4 giving a little more info on the game.
Arcania picks up ten years after the events of Gothic 3. The Nameless Hero from the original games has vanquished the orcs from the land and has ascended to the throne. But as the king, our former hero has become consumed with power and is no longer held in favor by much of the population, including the Witches of Fate that started him on his noble journey in the first place. Betrayed, the witches find a new Nameless Hero, most likely a humble fisherman, and charge him with righting the wrongs of the new king. Of course, being a Gothic game, you can do pretty much whatever you want, be it join the king, overthrow him, convince him to change his evil ways, or set up shop as a mercenary and mind your own business.
More information.

Ha!

To all those people who were so sure that we would be playing the same nameless hero again.

I like what I'm hearing about G4 so far....

ha!
to the witches of fate
this game will be on consoles
and probably with a teen rating

i never thought they would use the nameless hero by the way
as difficult (impossible) as its going to be for the gothic franchise to be continued/saved by someone other than pirahna bytes, it would be twice as hard if they didn't go the spinoff route, where they can and will do pretty much as they please.

oh and i'm looking forward to the gothic picnic

and actually if these 'witches of fate' otherswise known as a deus ex machina, are somehow going to play a role in the addon, well then looks like i will have ended my gothic career with those 2 fabulous playthroughs of gothic 3 of 2006.

Last edited:
"And gaining popularity in the good old US-of-A is goal one for Dreamcatcher. The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty)."

"Bright and beautiful" like Oblivion... a sure way to f*&k it up :(

What's this game called? In the first half it's Arcania, while in the second it's Arcadia!! Anything containing the name Dreamcatcher is a total NO GO area for me; DL was enough to last a lifetime!!

I love how so many people seem to be flushing G4 down the toilet before even playing it. If you're so sure it's going to be terrible then just don't buy it and stop posting about it.

but we love you jdr, and would hate to see you waste your money as well

*sigh* Why wasn't I born with the power to see the future like so many others here seem to have.

...I feel so cheated...

don't worry i've seen the future and you'll be happy to know you have many fine talents that may even save us all some day

to be serious for a moment which i can assure you is much less fun than being curious
while i can't speak for anyone else, i personally have recinded any kind of benefitofthedoubt from jowood/dreamcatcher now? as not only did they not develop the gothic games, they didn't even publish the original (my favourite) that was xicat. we did however in the us have to wait a terribly long time for gothic 2, and even longer for the addon. how on earth that is the pirahnas fault and not jowoods i would love to see. and we won't even need to talk about the tangled chaos of gothic 3, which at the end of the day, as they say, i enjoyed.

so with jowood, et al, blacklisted in my book, the 'story so far' on news of the upcoming games, makes bethesda look good. and in rpg terms i can't think of too many other who could claim such a title.

that said, i have nothing against spellbound who could do wonders and turn 'water into wine', though even if they are fans of the game, they don't really have to much experience in the rpg market, let alone a mature one like gothic. and while a new direction is fine to take with the franchise. the same attitude, and overall harshness absolutely need to be preserved for it to be a gothic game in anything other the name.

Last edited:
What's this game called? In the first half it's Arcania, while in the second it's Arcadia!! Anything containing the name Dreamcatcher is a total NO GO area for me; DL was enough to last a lifetime!!
There is no Dreamcatcher. They have been consolidated into JoWooD. Some of the management let go, the company restructured, at least one subsidiary closed. Now they´re just the NA branch of the JoWooD Group.

That article is weird. Arcania ... Arcadia ... maybe an XBox 360 version. Seems the author was assigned to listen to some marketing manager for an hour and then write a summary. So I wouldn´t believe anything in this article that´s not confirmed somewhere else.

edit:
Gamespot has 29 pics in the gallery. Maybe some of them are new.

Last edited:
What's this game called? In the first half it's Arcania, while in the second it's Arcadia!!
Well, Arcania is probably the grim and gritty European version, while Arcadia is the bright and cheerful US one :D.

I can't help it. While this distinction looks commercially sound, I somewhat worry about the execution. There will be many people who will want to have the respective other version. Although, from a budget standpoint, the differences might not be as pronounced as they want us believe to be.

Yes there are, READ the article!! :p :)

Yes there are, READ the article!! :p :)

You must be refering to the different color palettes for the NA and European versions.

I was talking about the name typo...Arcania\Arcadia.

Very stupid idea btw to have 2 different palettes, it's just going to delay development imo.

Last edited:
He made the 'typo' error several times!! Two pallettes is moronic IMVHO!!

Re quote:-
[hopes that fans of the epic RPG genre will eventually see Gothic in the same bright light as Oblivion]

....ugghhh...yuk...spew! :tears:

Meh, The hope I have for that game isn't based on Jowood but rather on Spellbound, who made some damn good games (Desperado 1 & 2). So I just hope that they can deliver a fun to play rpg.

You would be able to dance around and singing with birds in the North American version.

Back
Top Bottom