Greywalkers: Purgatory - Pre-Alpha Combat Demo

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The thing that struck me first was the music, oddly enough.

It was like Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear stumbled into Chaos Overlords. An intense sound gearing you up for special tactical ops shot through with synthesizers and a slightly cyberpunk feel. It screamed post-apocalyptic combat, and it was fun to listen to. Dreamlords Digital's got a slick composer.

The graphics were bad, almost painful, but hey, it's a pre-alpha build, so I'll cut them some slack. The 3D models were passable, certainly, but the use of Arial reminds you that this game is still fairly early in development. Let's hope that Dreamlords isn't one of those studios that keeps their placeholder fonts and releases them with the game.

Combat takes place on a square-based grid, a la the Realms of Arkania series. Items like medkits and other accessories still aren't operational yet, but you can definitely kick some demons around. The team you're given is an all-human squad, speckled with different character classes. The Diviner is sort of a post-nuclear cleric, wielding a sledgehammer of iron and concrete freshly ripped from a broken highway, hiding behind a shield that was once a road sign. The Armsman is a chick with a katana and a spellbook. The two traditional soldiers holding your flanks are more or less what you'd expect - army guys with assault rifles and kevlar. This world claims to be chock full of strange gods, magic, and demons, sort of like Fallout running headlong into Rifts…or something.

The animations seem mostly in place, but the effects are lackluster or nonexistent at this early stage. Scaling has yet to be implemented, so if you decide to play, you may get beaten up unless you really work at winning. And everything is on fire, since the demons you have to slay are trying to build a forward base to ferry in more demons. So there's that.

I've seen this game compared to XCom: Enemy Unknown, but the only real similarity I'm seeing is in the way characters are sort of premade for you, with their own classes and stats and names pre-assigned. Aside from that, there's not a ton of similarities in place yet. Time may reveal more.

Couchpotato posted a newsbit about the demo on the front page, but if you're feeling lazy and don't want to go back and look for it, the demo can be found here. The dev team wants all the feedback it can get, so if you try it out, you might think about stopping over and putting your two cents in. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write =). Btw what about rpg mechanics, is there a possibility to modify your characters as they progress up? Such as tweaking their stats or their gear perhaps?

God bless you guys that do betas and alphas these days, haven't done anything like that myself since the 90's, but I can appreciate the time and effort it takes. Thanks for the write-up.

Thanks for taking the time to write =). Btw what about rpg mechanics, is there a possibility to modify your characters as they progress up? Such as tweaking their stats or their gear perhaps?

I believe so. :)

The way I understand it is there's a single hero character - you. You design the hero of the story and play him or her through the campaign, deciding all of his/her stats, etc. The rest of the characters aren't people you get to invent, per se, but you can tweak anyone's gear and equipment as you see fit. Stats are something I'm not entirely sure about on these side characters, but my guess would be you have some say over how they level.

You may find more concrete information at the Graywalkers Kickstarter and at their main page. :)

Your avatar and every other team member you recruit can be modified. When you get the character, he starts out as the general concept of what he is. As he grows in experience, you can make some choices that will change him to a certain degree. Your choices will change their stats, abilities, skills and gear to certain degree. For example, let's say the soldier focuses on guns obviously, but along the way, he decides he wants to pick up some swordsman type skills, then picks up a weapon of choice like a machete or a katana, he can do this. :)

Thanks for taking the time Aubrielle to do a review of the demo. Will let Cedric know you love the music. It was our weakest point the last time and its good that we've somehow solved that issue. As for the graphics, thanks for cutting us slack because that really is just temporary. This demo was more for gameplay, to see if how we managed the combat system is acceptable and enjoyable for people. ...and yes, time will indeed reveal more... :)

Again, thank you for taking the time for the review and feedback. It will go a long way in improving the game as we move forward

Thanks for reading, Wyldekarde! I'm really excited to see how this game will look as it moves closer to release...:)

"Combat takes place on a square-based grid..."

That would be why it's being compared to X-Com. Most people don't see that sort of combat much. (Though they're getting more and more of it now!)

"Combat takes place on a square-based grid…"

That would be why it's being compared to X-Com. Most people don't see that sort of combat much. (Though they're getting more and more of it now!)

I guess you're right. I think I based my statement on aesthetics alone, since the squares seemed so tiny in comparison, and the view/controls/feel was a bit different. But you're right! Thank you for pointing that out. :)

Back
Top Bottom