Space Siege - Preview @ GameSpot

magerette

Hedgewitch
In more Space Seige news, GameSpot has posted a preview of Gas Powered Games ' Dungeon Seige successor, giving their impressions of a presentation with Chris Taylor:
Like Dungeon Siege before it, Space Siege will be an action role-playing game, but this time, it transports its action out of the underground and into outer space for a full-on sci-fi makeover...
...The focus on just one character is very different from previous games by Chris Taylor, particularly Dungeon Siege II, which offered control of up to eight players at any one time. Taylor says that having so many characters was an open option in his previous game, but it was one that players always took advantage of for fear of missing out on something. The result was that things became unmanageable, especially when it came to managing inventories. This time, he wants to place the focus on one character, which he hopes will not only strengthen the narrative (comparing the hero to John McClane in Die Hard), but also simplify things for novice and advanced players alike...
...Aside from speaking specifically about the game, Chris Taylor spent much of the presentation talking about his revised ethos behind game design. Influenced by recent successes, such as Half-Life 2 and specifically BioShock, Taylor says his thinking has done a full U-turn since Dungeon Siege II. His previous opinion on the importance of game design over storyline has now been reassessed, with a much greater emphasis on narrative and character development. He also made the point that modern game design has moved away from creating ways of punishing players to developing a model that rewards them as regularly as possible. This means eradicating the old "game over" screens, removing manual save/load systems, and allowing regeneration points that allow players to carry on where they were even when they've died. All of the above will apply to Space Siege.
More information.

Talk about dumbing down, an already dumbed-down game.

PC Gamer Column

Taylor did a column in last month's PC gamer, which I found insulting to basically every gamer I know. Basically he said that the coming revolution (of which of course he is leading the way) is essentially to make games like movies, no thought or complexity, just reward for propping your fat ass up and looking at the screen. I wanted to go find im in the PC gamer parking lot and thrash him about the head and neck with a Louisville slugger after reading this "manifesto."

"Space siege"...bwahahaha!

I won't be touching this game with a very long barge pole...I'm amazed to see people slavering in anticipation ... ugh... this epitomizes the way "role playing games" are being transmuted into something base (perhaps "Pure Green" to quote a certain Black Adder character ;-) )

Doh, I was actually looking forward to this game before knowing anything about it. I have a hankering for a good Sci Fi rpg at the moment.

After Dungeon Siege, I lost all faith in his ability to make a good action RPG.

It's like he thinks games are better the less interactive they are.

I guess it's the new trend of making games into movies, and witnessing the praise Bioshock got, I guess it's what people want.

I remember the same kind of "phase" when cd-rom was first introduced to the world of PC gaming. Anyone remember 7th Guest or Rebel Assault? I'd say we're witnessing the 2007 equivalent "revolution" of gameplay.

Only this time, we're not playing back pre-recorded movies, we're making them with realtime 3D graphics and they're much more interactive, in that you have to point and click a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom