Good Old Games - Age of Wonders Released

I have this one on disc, but I will probably be rebuying it to have it in "GOG-format".

I'd just like to say that I highly recommend GOG.com, which is easily my favorite games shop. Their games come completely DRM free, you may download whenever and however many times you want, their prices are good, and they often provide extras. There's no client or other nonesense required, the games mostly come as single installation files.

Kay

I'm actually replaying Age of Wonders 2 right now. Excellent game. I still have my original AoW disc, but I might just buy this and replay it after AoW2 (I know, I know, I should've played it before AoW2, but I didn't think I was going to get this hooked).

Since i got a family nowadays i dont have the time i would like to have to play games.
So can someone be so kind to tell me which is better to play, AoW 1 or AoW2+ addons.?

Actually, Shadow Magic is a stand alone game, not really an add-on. It's pretty much identical to AoW2 in terms of gameplay though (with a few additions).

I personally prefer the campaign of AoW2, but since it's now possible to grab AoW1 for a small sum, I'd probably go with that one. All AoW games are rock solid.

AOW 1 has a far more "tolkienesque" feel to it, than the other two games. And in some respects both "lines" differ from one another.

I think, AOW2 & AOW: SM don't include giving experience points (or what was it ?) to heroes anymore. But I don't remember this anymore, it's too long now since I've played the games.

But there core is still there in all of them.

There are lots of maps & mods (for example including more hero pictures from various sources for the games) in the community.

AOW 1 portal : http://aow.heavengames.com/

AOW 2 portal : http://aow2.heavengames.com/

Hackers don't even spare these niche games, it seems :

July 19, 2009 Posted @ 2:40 PM | Enginerd
Security Breach

Angel Zen, HG's Chief Technology Officer, has confirmed a security breach of our servers which left virus-infected files in our database. At this time, we are not prepared to release any details as to the origin of the breach or the specific threat level, however we strongly recommend that that all users, particularly those who have accessed the site since 16 July, run deep virus scans, as well as a current spyware scanner such as Spybot Search & Destroy as there is a chance you may have been affected.

In other words, there equally good ;)
O well, gonna play 1 first then.

Last edited:
Equally good ;) , only a tiny bit different. ;)

Brilliant games. IIRC the first game has branching campaigns which are great for replayability. The only minor negative is that heroes are overpowered (I ended up clearing some maps with my hero alone) but what the hell, I quite enjoyed that :)

What do you mean with "no extras" ? There weren't any.

Gog.com usually bundles things like manuals, wallpapers, soundtracks and so forth with the products they sell. It's rare (I've not seen it before, actually) for them to sell just a game.

I didnt like AOW, just sold my bargain-bin copy on Amazon for double what I bought it for (a whole 5.oo) ='.'=

If they put up the sequel or Shadow Magic I'm willling to give it a shot tho, curious about what improvements to the formula they made

Back
Top Bottom