Bethesda Softworks - Fallout 4 Trademark

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If you have been following the news in the forums about Fallout 4 it seems there might be some truth to them. According to The Vault Bethesda has trademarked the next Fallout game.

Bethesda registers Fallout 4 trademark

The Internet exploded in speculation as it turned out that a few days ago, Bethesda filed for a Fallout 4 trademark with the Office for the Harmonization of the Internal Market through their usual legal firm, DLA Piper.

You can find the filings here and here. Both are Nice classes 9, 16, 25, 41.

In human terms, this means Bethesda filed for trademarks for games, online information about games, printed media, and clothing. If you want the precise legal definition, look up the above links.

Now, does that mean anything? Maybe. Digging up the trademark filing for Fallout: New Vegas, it can be plainly seen that the European trademark was registered in October 2009, in Nice classes 9 and 41, about four months before the teaser trailer was released in February 2010. This might be a similar situation. Might just be the company protecting its IP.

Is it related to the thesurvivor2299.com website? That remains to be seen. Reddit users have traced the countdown code to a Polish web developer, Krzysztof Furtak. The code is available publicly under the GNU GPL license. Does this explain the presence of Polish variables in the code? Maybe. It doesn't explain, however, why the site was initially hosted on a Polish server or why a multimillion dollar gaming company would use a GPL code when they have enough web designers of their own. A strong dose of skepticism is recommended.
More information.

Predictable as ever, Doctor... ummm I mean Bethesda.

Jeez, this 50th anniversary thing is really getting to me.

What if they go back to isometric style? That would be cool.

Nah, I want them to bring back the awe of leaving the bomb shelter....that first step out in fallout 3 was awesome.

Nah, I want them to bring back the awe of leaving the bomb shelter….that first step out in fallout 3 was awesome.
How about something else instead of walking out of a vault again. It's been almost 300 years since the first game, and it would be nice to start in a town or city.

Agreed. Bethesda gets stuck on an opening vignette and never changes. It's okay for a TES not to start in prison and okay for Fallout not to start in a vault. Start it at the Institute or in the Commonwealth.

Yes, bethesda was the one who started with the whole Vault thing.

Yes, bethesda was the one who started with the whole Vault thing.
No they didn't but every Fallout game except Fallout NV had you leaving a vault. That's all I meant.;) Though Bethesda does have a habit of havng you start as a prisoner in the Elder Scroll games.

No they didn't but every Fallout game except Fallout NV had you leaving a vault. That's all I meant.;) Though Bethesda does have a habit of havng you start as a prisoner in the Elder Scroll games.

I think, and this is just my opinion, is it is almost a running joke going back to the original arena....which I can see as sort of a calling card.

So far bethesda vault = 1 interplay = 2 :p

I don't really care where I start - as long as they retain the brilliant exploration. Beyond that, I'm hoping for better writing and mechanics.

Considering how excellent Skyrim was, this is great news. After Oblivion, Bethesda games have improved considerably and I hope they continue to move in the right direction. If they do, FO4 could end up being spectacular.

Fallout 2 we start in a village, but I agree about TES games, and in their case except Arena and Skyrim we don't know what crime the PC commited to be thrown in a jail...

In Skyrim, the avatar is an illegal immigrant who crossed borders.
Since the series (TES) is about developping the narrative of a character, it is expected you start with a blank character, with no past, no relationship etc....

It does not matter who the avatar' was, it matters who the avatar becomes under the guidance of the player.

I just want the release date :)

And I want nonOblivionOnline engine.

I too would prefer a totally new engine. God knows Bethesda can afford to build a brand new engine to rule them all with the money they're making from Skyrim. The reason they may not do this though is the legion of modders who are trained in Gamebryo/Creation.

And I want nonOblivionOnline engine.
Well you do it's called the Creation Engine, but we all know it's just Gamebryo heavily modified. Still I agree it would be nice if they created, or bought a different engine for all future games.

Fallout 2 we start in a village, but I agree about TES games, and in their case except Arena and Skyrim we don't know what crime the PC commited to be thrown in a jail…

In Fallout 1 you start outside the vault but you are coming from inside the vault and cannot immediately re-enter. In Fallout 2 you start just outside the vault and your only path is to go inside the vault. In Fallout 3 you grow up inside the vault until you are forced to leave. I always saw Fallout: NV as a spin off so I think it is likely to have a vault related beginning in F4. Will be interesting to see how they can keep it fresh though.

Back
Top Bottom