Balrum - A 2D Isometric Fantasy RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We received a new email today about a new Indie RPG called Balrum. I'm sure many of you will be interested I know I am.

My name is George and me and my fellow developer Attila have been working on our PC RPG game for about 2 years now. In the game you need to survive with your grandfather in a village hidden from the world. Ultimately, you will find out about the reason why the village is hidden, and after that, you will explore the world that has been hidden from you. The game mixes elements from: Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Arcanum, Ultima, Eschalon Book, TES, Thief.

Main features of our game:

-crafting (craft and name your own potions, armors, weapons..)
-farming (to survive you must eat, maintain your farm to always have food on you..)
-building (build your home, craft furniture, make chests for your loot..)
-combat (hybrid turn based, cooldowns, buffs, debuffs, AOE, lots of different spells with truly different mechanics..)
-exploration (explore huge dungeons, find hidden treasure, explore deep forests..)
-stealth (use water arrows to disable distant torches to ensure that you remain hidden in the shadows..)
-lots of clickable stuff (mushrooms, plants, minerals, and other materials..)
-HD resolution, dynamic lighting.. blah blah and stuff like that :)
More information.

So it's farmville within RPG? Not a bad idea...

When, where, what... Whatever.
I'm buying.

So it's farmville within RPG? Not a bad idea…

When, where, what… Whatever.
I'm buying.
He didn't say when just that the kickstarter will be soon. I'll update when it does.

Some of that art looks like it is directly out of Eschalon.

Oh looks nice.

rune_74 that was my first thought! In fact even the screen capture before I clicked to play it reminded me so much I thought for a moment it was Eschalon III. I hope they didn't rip it from the team .... perhaps a quick email on basiliskgames site will let them check it out.

rune_74 that was my first thought! In fact even the screen capture before I clicked to play it reminded me so much I thought for a moment it was Eschalon III. I hope they didn't rip it from the team …. perhaps a quick email on basiliskgames site will let them check it out.
If it is well they have a problem then. Let me remind you though you can use the same engine if it's available to use freely. The basic tilesets are not owned by anybody.

Though in there own words it is there own.
The Engine

Balrum uses our own inhouse engine.From the start we wanted to create an engine that is really fast and not demanding.

A few features:

-PC, Mac, Linux
-2D Isomertic, tile based
-The engine allows you to play the game at really high resolutions.
-dynamic lighting
-directional sound
-resizeable GUI
-smooth fog of war
-weather effects
-day/night cycle
-low system requirements even at maximum settings

System requirements:

CPU: 1.6Ghz (even Atom)

Memory: 1GB is recommended but if your system is tidy than 512MB will do.
Graphics card: Intel: GMA945 or an ATi/NVIDIA card that is no more than 7 years old
icon_smile.gif

Minimum resolution: 960×576

Hi everyone! :)

Thanks for the nice comments!
We have a professional graphics team behind us, so don't worry :)
But it's good to hear that we at least look like eschalon book 3! :)
(for 2 uni students that is a real honor)

As Couchpotato said, we are planning to start a kickstarter campaign really soon!

rune_74 that was my first thought! In fact even the screen capture before I clicked to play it reminded me so much I thought for a moment it was Eschalon III. I hope they didn't rip it from the team …. perhaps a quick email on basiliskgames site will let them check it out.

My thoughts too. However if it's legit, an Eschalon clone is for sure not a bad thing.

Hi everyone! :)

Thanks for the nice comments!
We have a professional graphics team behind us, so don't worry :)
But it's good to hear that we at least look like eschalon book 3! :)
(for 2 uni students that is a real honor)

As Couchpotato said, we are planning to start a kickstarter campaign really soon!

Im excited to see this progress. These kind of games bring me back to Ultima 7 times :)

If it is well they have a problem then. Let me remind you though you can use the same engine if it's available to use freely. The basic tilesets are not owned by anybody.

Though in there own words it is there own.

It is a propitiatory engine made by basilisk games so, no that isn't possible. I'm glad they have their own team, just thought it looked very familiar.

I've stopped tracking the million indie games that start development and get halfway. If the game hits beta, I'll be interested as well. Till then, I just don't have time to get excited over every trailer. Good luck though.

I'm skeptical of single player, single character RPGs, especially ones with turn based gameplay. On the face of it, combat isn't going to be very interesting with only one role to play and you lose out in other ways over party RPGs, for instance one character can only use so much loot, you can't have cooperating roles (which restricts the stats and progression aspects) etc.

tl;dr Add companions please!

tl;dr Add companions please!

/signed.

Aside from that and combat, this really looks rather promising. Would certainly support on kickstarter.

They seem to have come quite far already, game looks pretty good and functional in the video. I'll be interested to hear more. But with the current strong resurgence of games of this type, I'll need to see a few things that set this apart from other similar projects to convince me to pledge.

It didn't just look like Eschalon, it played like it. Time only progresses in Eschalon when you act. This looked the same. Hmmmmm....

Really hate the art style.

Gameplay seems worthwile, though.

Back
Top Bottom