Eschalon: Book 1 - Review @ GameBanshee

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eschalon has been reviewed over at GameBanshee. There's some criticism for the writing and combat but they enjoyed it overall, awarding a score of 7.6/10:
Kudos to the Eschalon: Book I team, as well, for creating a convincingly non-linear RPG that mixes a direct main plot with a goodly number of side quests, and avoids ramping the difficulty up too much, too quickly, if you decide to take The Grand Tour, instead. Not that you won’t be killed easily if you travel too far away, at least if you try and fight or box yourself into a corner. I don’t like the too restrictive pathways through the linked map sections, but at least there’s a great deal of territory to explore. It’s worth exploring, too, because Basilisk has created plenty of mini-encounter spots, where minor collections of monsters hang around a body or treasure chest. Sometimes their proximity is well-motivated, but at other times it feels rote, with the monsters obviously placed to furnish the obligatory challenge.
More information.

The review seemed pretty fair - and pretty extensive.

I really appreciate these sites (and magazines!) giving indie games some love these days. It's now back to a level I haven't seen since the early to mid 90's (the glory days of Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Apogee software, etc.).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom