The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

That's not a sellout, Ubereil. That's good clean New Wave, there. Not a thing wrong with that.

Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium

Great album. Really immerses listener in the dreary landscapes it paints, one can almost touch them :). I actually think that relatively shorter length is its plus and helps making the record feel tight and monolithic.

As for me, Stephan Bodzin - Liebe ist… (2007)
Minimal, yet fairly textural techno. Very prone-to-resonance sound at higher volumes.
Liebe ist…
Leuchtraft

the only part of the cd that I dont particularly like is "sumerland (what dreams may come)". It just seems out of step w/ the rest of the songs, it almost feels like sort of an interruption. Not a really bad tune or anything, just out of place in the flow imho.

listening to the Cure's "Disintegration"

It's 80's night tonight. Billy Idol is up right now.

Last edited:
If we are speaking covers, It's rare that a cover beats the original.
One such example, I think, is Obadiah Parker's cover of Hey Ya which gives the song emotion which the original rendition simply didn't have.

Here's the original by Outkast

Excellent new tune from the 17-year-old Canadian gazer:

"Dawn" by Liam Ledgerwood

That's what I thought, too. ;)

Pat Boone reminds me of that green Demon guy from Buffy (or was it Angel?) Nice music.

@DeepO: Curious, I know lots of people who adore Stephan Bodzin's music. Personally I find it a little too minimalistic and distorted. It's either that or the music is just not very headphones friendly. His music sounded ok on a casual party as background music with decent speakers, when you talk with people … but listening only? Not really my cup of tea.

Speaking of background music, I heard these two on some Internet radio station recently and liked them a lot:

Saint Etienne — Only Love Can Break Your Heart (Richard X Extended Remix). What a long title. Perfect as BGM for browsing or doing other work on the computer. No idea what type of music this is … although the tag says "Disco/Balearic", so that must be it. It's the extended version of a remix of a cover of a classic song, which I heard as part of an hour long mix.

Oak — Mongoose. Drum'n'Bass. Nice bassline. Nice flow.

Last edited:
@DeepO: Curious, I know lots of people who adore Stephan Bodzin's music. Personally I find it a little too minimalistic and distorted. It's either that or the music is just not very headphones friendly. His music sounded ok on a casual party as background music with decent speakers, when you talk with people … but listening only? Not really my cup of tea.

Well, it´s not "listening only" for me as well as I often use similar kinds of music more as a background while doing something else, like reading RPGWatch forum, for example :). My main reason for spinning Liebe ist… once in a while is pretty superficial (as is Liebe ist…) - those lower frequencies rock my flat :).

Anyway, Charles Mingus - Hobo Ho
My all time favourite jazz tune.
It´s on Let My Children Hear Music (1972) which as a whole isn´t that supergreat as Mingus Am Um or The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, but this particular song just destroys completely and absolutely.
The sound of neverending party, life, etc.

Hobo Ho

I'll see them live in April. :)
The link provided doesn't work BTW, JemyM. Neither does 'XTC, Dear God' and 'Green Day, Boulevard of Broken Dreams', but I found them and enjoyed them anyway. :)

I'm currently listening to the master of qawwali: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
Nusrat said qawwali's like jazz, he improvised his music.
"Artists as diverse as Massive Attack, Eddie Vedder and Peter Gabriel acknowledged Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan as one of the world's most inspired and inspiring singers."
More info: Remembering Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Qawwalis tend to begin gently and build steadily to a very high energy level in order to induce hypnotic states both among the musicians and within the audience.

To get a taste:
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shamas-ud-doha, Badar-ud-doja!

Want more?:

Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Live Concert in London - nearly 2 hrs:
"One of the best performances available on line. This is truly voice of heaven on earth. Following are the 3 tracks: 1. Shams ud Doha Badrud Doja 2. Kehna Ghalat Ghalat Chupana Sahi Sahi 3. Nit Khair Mangan Sohniya Mein Teri 4. Kali Kali Zulfon ke Phanday na Daalo Great sound and video quality. I'll stop here and let the maestro himself mesmerize you."
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Live in London

I have to agree: mesmerizing. Pity he died so young (49 years).

Went to see "The Australian Pink Floyd Show" yesterday. Great music (surprise, surprise), great performance, great visuals. In short; The closest you'll get to a Pink Floyd concert these days. Here's Run like hell (not the best quality).

I'll see them live in April. :)
The link provided doesn't work BTW, JemyM. Neither does 'XTC, Dear God' and 'Green Day, Boulevard of Broken Dreams', but I found them and enjoyed them anyway. :)

I hate youtube's new links, far more difficult to share now. Anyway, fixed all links.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom