Divinity II: DKS - Review @ God is a Geek

Dhruin

SasqWatch
God is a Geek has reviewed the Dragon Knight Saga, resulting in a solid 8/10. The reviewer played the X360 version and avoided mages to keep things simple, so don't expect a deep examination:
There are plenty of quests to keep you occupied in Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, quests that range from the standard, mundane, “go get me X amount of Y” quests to the less mundane “go kill that 1,000 year old, extremely powerful, necromancer”. You can probably imagine which are the most interesting, but that doesn’t mean that the simpler quests don’t have their charm. Some of the character conversations are genuinely amusing and some of the strange stuff the villagers get up to at times is just plain ridiculous, but it all adds to the entertainment value. My only major problem with the way the game works is the saving system, there is an auto save feature but it saves so infrequently that it becomes almost redundant. Using the ‘Save Game’ feature in the start menu is a must for anyone attempting to play the game. There’s nothing more frustrating than charging headfirst into a single enemy only to find he has friends that you didn’t see because there was a rock in the way. In order to continue playing once your characters life has been abruptly ended, you must load a previous save file which, if you were only using the auto save feature, could have been literally hours ago. All those nice quest rewards and experience points you’ve just been gathering? Gone. I speak from experience.
More information.

Yep. This is the kind of game where you need to save regularly. The devs allow you to map quick save/load keys to help out. The last 30 years of this type of CRPG has required regular saves... not saying that this is either good or bad, but it shouldn't be surprising.

I've been playing DKS off and on on the PC and I'm going to say something that many here will probably disagree with.

I think the game is really good to -near great. But I think it would be better on a console. Control wise, the keyboard works OK, but the mix of gameplay with WoW style combat mixed with the platforming and the (terrible, IMO) dragon flight and combat would probably be better off in the hands of a game controller.

The graphics probably wouldn't be as good. But I wish I had waited for the US Xbox release of this one.

Regarding the save system: A more frequent, robust autosave would have been fine for DKS. There's certain things you can do in different order, but I don't think there's been a time where I went back to an old save to make a different choice.

Is just me, or does there seem to a glut of clueless ( at least as far as RPGs go )reviewers around these days. It seems that these are getting jobs based on writing ability instead of gameing experience, which IMHO is kind of relevent.

Back
Top Bottom