Guns and Roses

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
For whatever reason my wife loves this band. Maybe it reminds her of when we were young and in High School, I don't know.

I was going to buy tickets to there show and surprise her..well that isn't going to happen. The cheapest ticket is 200.00????

The Running Noses? The last hard rock band? Their best stuff is all covers.

Isn't Axl Rose fronting AC/DC right now? Since Tracii Guns left the band years ago I'm not sure the name quite works anymore.

The Running Noses? The last hard rock band? Their best stuff is all covers.

Isn't Axl Rose fronting AC/DC right now? Since Tracii Guns left the band years ago I'm not sure the name quite works anymore.

He is fronting them, then jumps on tour with Guns. I don't know, they are alright after a few drinks camping.

Floor seats are up to and over a grand.

Guns & Roses did some great stuff back in the da. I was younger and they were still around, making videos and songs like November Rain, Welcome To the Jungle, Sweet Child Of Mine, etc. Great stuff.

I'm not necessarily a hard rock fan. Far from it, really. But they were pretty good and Axl had/has a very unique voice.

Better to buy a Rift and virtually go to concerts!

If Rose is singing, I'd avoid buying the tickets. I remember like two-three shows that I bought tickets for GnR in the nineties that were cancelled because he couldn't make the show for some reason or other. Really weird because I recall seeing the band in the late eighties/early nineties and they put on great shows, but five years later the singer often no-showed.

If Rose is singing, I'd avoid buying the tickets. I remember like two-three shows that I bought tickets for GnR in the nineties that were cancelled because he couldn't make the show for some reason or other. Really weird because I recall seeing the band in the late eighties/early nineties and they put on great shows, but five years later the singer often no-showed.

There was a (small) riot at the Pacific Colosseum in Vancouver after he missed his flight from LA after a night of binging. He was the only original member of GnR in at the time. This is probably the reason Chinese Democracy took so long to come out.

I'm pretty sure he's doing better if AC/DC hired him.

I remember Guns 'n' Roses. I bought one song of them back in the early 90s.

I was never interested in them. Too much grunge, hardrock, metal, this is the image I got. So, not my taste.

The first album was excellent but everything else pretty much sucked. Axel always came off as a drug riddled ahole.

For whatever reason my wife loves this band. Maybe it reminds her of when we were young and in High School, I don't know.

I was going to buy tickets to there show and surprise her..well that isn't going to happen. The cheapest ticket is 200.00????

Check if they're playing some of the summer festivals.

Appetite for Destruction is one of the best debut albums of all time. Other than Rose, I'm a huge fan of everyone in the original line-up. Watching Velvet Revolver cover some old GnR songs is one of my fondest memories of all time, as I found Weiland to be superior to Rose in every way.

The Rose no-show things is often times blown completely out of proportion. He missed a few concerts (because one time he was arrested and stuff like that) and aborted a couple when morons threw stuff at him and the band on stage but GnR played 194(!) concerts during the Use Your Illusion world tour. It was one of the longest and biggest tours in music history.
According to the "notable events" section about five shows were cancelled or aborted. So we're talking about a ~3% max. "no-show" rate ;) .

I personally went to their August 24, 1991 concert in Mannheim which was on their first European leg. It was awesome. Skid Row opened up for them and GnR showed up about two hours late but it was all worth it. Nice, hot August night with a (nearly) full moon… unforgettable.

I was 18 years old and pretty inexperienced with concerts back then though and I made some huge mistakes. I partied the night before, then drove from Hannover to Mannheim with a friend (about a four/five hour drive IIRC), arrived around noon time, got in line for hours in the scorching August heat, then waited even more hours in the heat w/o being able or willing (when you have worked your way somewhat to the front) to get out of the crowd.

End result: I had my last drink (non-alcoholic, of course) around noon and the concert finished at 11PM or something like that and due to the crowd we did not really get off the event site until 1AM.
I've never been that thirsty in my entire life and the worst thing was everything was so crowded (including the gas stations on the way to and on the actual Autobahn) that it was not possible to get/buy something to drink until we were some way out of and away from Mannheim.

And then I was also rarely ever that tired in my entire life. My friend fell asleep on our way back home but as the driver I did not really have that option, right? It was an excruciating four hour drive back home where we arrived in the wee early morning hours. Very stupid in hindsight on many accounts but I guess that happens when you're young and dumb :) .

The year after Mannheim I went to their Hannover show on June 3, 1992 but it was only a shadow of the Mannheim show. One could tell that they were exhausted, tired and that playing all those concerts, one after another (almost) every other night, had just turned into a routine job for them.

I still enjoy listening to their old stuff these days and also thought that Chinese Democracy was better than its reputation. I'm not much of a music person at all but if I ever was a fan of any band then it's GnR.
I wouldn't go to another concert these days though. Axl has not exactly aged very well and his voice is pretty terrible most gigs (that I have watched on YT).
They also need to record some new material. The old stuff has gotten, yeah, old.

P.S.: Ticket prices were OK back then. Not cheap but compared to mainstream garbage like Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey it was alright. I don't remember the exact prices… maybe DM 50 to DM70 (DM = Deutsche Mark… no Euro back then, of course).

@Moriendor

I've had so many experiences like that. You'd think I'd learn my lesson. :biggrin:

@Moriendor

I use to be friends with Sebastian Bruke(Bach) of Skid Row. Back in the day when he played local band called Bloody Marry. His father owned Art Space and his sister was modeling in NY City.

His first tour as Skid Row front man they opened for Pantera on the Cowboys from Hello tour.

@Moriendor

I use to be friends with Sebastian Bruke(Bach) of Skid Row. Back in the day when he played local band called Bloody Marry. His father owned Art Space and his sister was modeling in NY City.

His first tour as Skid Row front man they opened for Pantera on the Cowboys from Hello tour.

Nice :) .

I quite liked Skid Row back then and Sebastian Bach is/was definitely a talented singer.
It was a VERY nice bonus that they opened up for GnR at that Mannheim gig. I still remember how Sebastian climbed up on one of those towers to the right side of the stage, easily 30ft high. Risky stuff...

The only thing that sucked was the two or two and a half hour pause after Skid Row had finished until GnR FINALLY went on stage. Then played three songs... and disappeared again because of some issues with the power lines (there was a risk of electrocution on the stage). Luckily it ended up being only a short 10 - 15 minute break and then they played straight on through until the end past 11PM. It was epic when it got darker and darker, the moon came up and then all those great GnR tracks... those were the days! :)

Back
Top Bottom