Frayed Knights - Why Is It Taking So Long?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Hey, Rampant Coyote's words - not mine. The latest Frayed Knights development update is titled Why Is This Game Taking So Long?
You know, when I was working on the pilot episode of Frayed Knights, I had a couple of ideas. Really silly ideas, in retrospect. I should have known better. While I've never made a full-fledged RPG before, I've made plenty of games. So I don't have an excuse. Maybe it's some kind of suppression of bad memories taking place that made me believe these things.

But here were my beliefs: That when I finished the pilot, I'd have "most" (75%+) of the code for the game finished, and that my job from there on out would just be cranking out content, which would be easier and faster than code.

Wrong on BOTH counts. But I'm just gonna talk about the code part today.
More information.

I think he might be a little to hard on himself. I'm very interested in this game and don't care how long it takes. I'm quite happy waiting a few years to buy this if it means it gets finished.

Some indies, and especially mods, have grand plans, but never get finished. All those ultima mods that were going to be made are the best example I can think of. I rememeber when Dungeon Siege first came out, there were Ultima mods popping up left and right all across the internet. Not many of them were finished. The best out of all of them is the mod Corwin worked on, Lazarus. That had grand plans and was finished. Heck it was so good now Ultima 6 is almost done.

So Rampant, please keep banging away and fixing that 'bit-rot' ;) Some of us are very excited about this game your making. Don't forget to blow off some steam though. Go get your butt kicked in KOTC every now and then. It helps to just goof off.

The Ultima 9 Redemption mod for Morrowind is still going and is very interesting.

There are other games that are taking a long time also like "The Broken Hourglass" and I have seen games released after upwards of 6 years in development.

I think he might be a little to hard on himself. I'm very interested in this game and don't care how long it takes. I'm quite happy waiting a few years to buy this if it means it gets finished.

Yup, we'll still be here when it gets released!

Thanks. I don't know if I'm being too hard on myself - but part of the reason I keep posting public updates like this is to force myself (out of fear of shame?) to see this thing through to completion.

But I really appreciate your support - it terrifies me hoping I don't disappoint. I think everybody here knows it isn't going to be the Best Game Evar (that'll be FK 2, maybe... :biggrin: ) , so I am not shooting for perfection. It would never see the light of day if that was the case. But it's been a great learning experience, and I hope I'll have something of entertaining value and reasonable quality at the end of a road that doesn't stretch too far. I've got a lot more games I wanna make.

Yeah I'm patient as well. I'm not fussed about Alpha Protocol being delayed. I'm not fussed about waiting years for mod projects like the Dark Mod (yey it's out), TNM, Redemption, etc. (Although since the latter are free release products I've especially no right to get fussed.) I'd rather developers try to reach beyond their means just a little, and that usually means some delays if we are lucky, or a buggy mess if we are not.

And the beta M8 for U6P will be released very soon; we're just trying to fix the bugs that were found in the alpha (M7) and get the content finished. Most of the hard work is done, but there's a lot of polish needed in some places and that is quite time consuming with very little to show for it at the end. Stay tuned, you'll read about it here first!! :)

@Rampant Coyote : At least you are honest.

Honest to us and to yourself.

I appreciate that. :)

Back
Top Bottom