Divinity 2 - Price Drop

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We don't normally track prices but since cdv sent out this PR...
Becoming A Dragon Knight Just Got Easier With Divinity II – Ego Draconis Reduced Price
Hello -

We wanted to give you a heads-up that Divinity II – Ego Draconis is now available for only $39.99 on both the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

Be sure to visit www.honorofrivellon.com for tons of game and contest info!
More information.

A price drop 5 weeks after release? Seems their release strategy failed completely.

The game is buggy as hell. Not worth the forty bucks until it's patched. 2-3 rounds of patches are required, really.

Brand new copies have been selling for less than $20 on Ebay over here. I got mine for $13, and that includes shipping.

I wasn't sure if I should be happy for getting such a great deal, or sad because it's obviously not doing well for Larian over here. :S

Is it because of the bugs,or just failed marketing?

Somebody at MTV forgot to tell Larian it's all about big boobs and shallow gameplay here in the States. Sigh.

I think it's a combination of 4 things:

1) lack of marketing
2) the style is unfamiliar to most console gamers
3) the bad reviews killed any potential buzz
4) the post-holiday release date

I told them, "You guys have a big potential market here, but you need to get these ports right." But did they listen to me? Noooo.

Last edited:
The reviews, at least for the PC version, don't seem THAT bad. BioWare has taken the entire winter, though.

Zloth has the crux of it. It's got nothing to do with the shallowness of the American market. The release window doomed D2 to second tier status no matter the quality of its release state. Bioware owns the holiday/winter season with their ME2, DA one-two punch. The bugs and some gameplay preferences in the reviews took it down another notch.

For instance, I own Dragon Age and have yet to get to it. Just re-started Oblivion so I could finally finish that, have to work through the Ultima 6 mod, and still feed my Battletech habit. Then there's stuff like Armored Princess and a couple small titles that took up the holidays.

And then there's real life what with social stuff, scraping together an engineering degree, etc. D2 just gets pushed to the back of the line even though I'm interested in trying it out.

I might add that I do suspect the motives of game reviewers. They don't review AAA titles like Bethsoft's and Bioware's, they crown them.* Divinity doesn't have sufficient marketing cache to get these guys all starry eyed, so they actually ply their trade properly.

*Nothing for or against the quality of these guys' titles, it's just illustrative of how the market timing and power dynamics work out in the industry. Bioware > any magazine > Larian.

A price drop 5 weeks after release? Seems their release strategy failed completely.

Definitely - too close o New Years, and by the time people knew it was out they were waiting for Mass Effect and Bioshock ...

The game is buggy as hell. Not worth the forty bucks until it's patched. 2-3 rounds of patches are required, really.

Huh? With 1.03 I have no issues ... what are you defining as 'buggy as hell, I assume that you can list at least 10 significant issues to reach that level?

Playing the game right now, and for me the game is great. Really enjoying it. No bugs so far after 20 hours of play time. That said its not a RPG for small minded.

For me this game is as good as risen and dragon age.

Sad that games like this are not appreaciated by the mass.

It's a good game, but really nothing THAT special if you ask me.

Also, the console port was pretty poor - and you need polish and production values on that platform.

The publishing of this game wasn't just poor in the US. Here in Europe they decided to release it outside of Germany in the same week as Risen and Dragon Age were released. That's just plain stupid to be honest.

But in the end it seems that it did fairly well here in Europe, especially in Germany, from what I heard. Such a shame that a beautiful action rpg was robbed of its chances this way.

The game is good, but the initial launch version was terrible due to bugs. Yes a patch was already released that covers most issues, but the big problem was that a whole lot of reviews were made with that "earlier crappy version" meaning that a lot of scores are very under-rated, but ofc the regular user doesnt know that.

So the game gets stuck with mediocre scores mainly due to bugs and problems of earlier versions, average buyer sees the low megacritic score and doesnt buy it.

I am a dire fan of divinity1 and got the divinity 2 on EU launch only to get it shelved for some weeks waiting for a patch since my game was unplayable, wich is just sad.
In the meantime, i bought MA2 and DA:O, wich kept me ocupied meaning the D2 was again shelved a little bit.

All in all, the early reviews with bugs buried this game and what was left of it was
forgotten with other AAA titles around. Shame!

I wasn't sure if I should be happy for getting such a great deal, or sad because it's obviously not doing well for Larian over here. :S

i hope the next game will be a REAL divine divinity successor.

not one person on this planet needs another brainless third person action RPG.

Sounds like a fate similar to Gothic 3. A shame. I intend to play it in two weeks or so, and I expect to have a good time (based on what I've read here at the Watch).

i hope the next game will be a REAL divine divinity successor.

not one person on this planet needs another brainless third person action RPG.

I wouldn't call it that ... I think it is a decent game but didn't really live up to expectations commercially or as a DivDiv successor.

Div-2 isn't really an action crpg. There just aren't enough monsters for it to qualify. Your typical action game has several monsters per screen. There are really only a small handful of areas, so far, that have had large groups of enemies. Those areas are challenging too, because there aren't many crowd control effects around and those have some hefty cooldowns.

Div-2 feels like an exploration game. There are lots of secrets to find and the game is slower paced than any of the action titles. I'm sorta reminded of Eye of the Beholder with an added outdoor section for fun. I'm having a great time with it. I like that you can and will die in this game if you're not very careful. Also, at least in the early-mid game potions are not plentiful and buying them is pretty expensive. You can run out of potions if you spam them. I'm not high enough level to have a healing spell or leech option yet.

Back
Top Bottom