Might & Magic X - Game Update, Q&A, and New Classes

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Might & Magic X announces that a new update is available to all owners of the early access edition.Included in this update are four new classses the Scout, Druid, Mercenary, and Shaman.

Some other new features of the update are an items comparator, extension of the day and night cycle, adding support for Japanese and Chinese languages, and fixing a load of bugs.

Scout
Druid

Shaman Mercenary

For those who like speed painting, the below video shows how the following images were made.

To end the update I have a Q&A sent to us by Ubisoft.
Why did you propose an Early Access program for MMX? And why not a beta?

[Gary Paulini] The Might & Magic team has a strong desire to create games that are both fun to play and that please fans of the series. Early Access is the perfect fit combining instant access and constant improvement according to player feedback, allowing us to provide them with the game they really want.
A lot of players are getting used to the name “Early Access” thanks to the fact Steam is also using this nomenclature, and the fact many crowdfunded projects have gone this route.

How have the players reacted so far?

[Irina Kassina] A lot of players have been waiting a long time for a Might & Magic comeback. The unexpected release of this Early Access program gathered mostly positive feedback overall. Beyond the warm welcome, we noticed a great commitment from the whole Might & Magic community. A lot of players have participated in the process, providing the development team with steady feedback on their experiences and expectations. As one example among many, there were a lot of comments concerning the general lighting of the game's environment so we quickly focused on improving this aspect of the game.

How do you plan to integrate this feedback? Any update for the game?

[Gary Paulini] The development team worked on Beta patches available shortly after the Early Access release. Deploying Beta patches before the official ones allows us to quickly respond to the players' wishes, and to give them the opportunity to test some new features early on. Because we take into consideration our fans’ feedback veryseriously, we will continue to publish several unofficial updates that will both fix various bugs and add features to the game.

But of course we will also prepare official updates. The first one will add 4 additional classes to the game and will be released early October. The second one is to be published by the end of year will be dedicated to the modding kit.

What about Might & Magic's original creators? What is their opinion regarding Might & Magic X?

[Gary Paulini] While he works on other projects nowadays, we have always stayed in touch with Jon Van Caneghem, the legendary creator of the Might & Magic and Heroes game series. He made a visit to our booth during Gamescom so we could show him a demo of Might & Magic X, and fortunately he seemed pretty happy to see how we had strived to stick with the essence of the original games. Later on he kindly accepted an invitation to answer some questions for our Open Dev Blog.
More information.

Last edited:
I thought this game looked awesome, but the opinions on Steam are overwhelmingly negative. I'm not wild about the "early access" idea, or the uPlay service (or whatever it's called), but I'm curious as to what folks here think about the game itself. I'd trust your opinions much more than those of the general Steam audience, especially for a game like this.

I thought this game looked awesome, but the opinions on Steam are overwhelmingly negative. I'm not wild about the "early access" idea, or the uPlay service (or whatever it's called), but I'm curious as to what folks here think about the game itself. I'd trust your opinions much more than those of the general Steam audience, especially for a game like this.

i think the game is looking promising.

I think it is great so far and likely most of the people don't like it because of the turn-based grid-based movement.

I think things like negative forum comments are a standard with every game on Steam.

Uplaywithyourself will keep most serious players away from this thing. Too bad, as the M&M 'verse really could have used a revival. Personally I'd rather play dominos than capitulate to having to register at some lame website simply to play a game.

Uplaywithyourself will keep most serious players away from this thing. Too bad, as the M&M 'verse really could have used a revival. Personally I'd rather play dominos than capitulate to having to register at some lame website simply to play a game.
I'm honestly surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that Ubisoft hasn't dropped their crap activation software yet, after the major backlash they've faced in the last two years.

Rock on. And keep resisting DRM.

While I agree that having to use uplay sucks I can't agree on "it will keep most serious players away from this thing".
Just because you consider yourself serious and hate uplay that doesn't mean that the majority cares that much. In my circle of close acquaintances are tons of gamers I'd consider serious and I am already the exception when I don't buy games on origins. The majority of them just does not care and while I don't know the numbers I doubt that using uplay has a big impact (except if something goes wrong at release and it generates a temporary shitstorm hurting the sales - but even that's probably forgotten by most people at the next release).
Just because in lots of threads a couple of anti-drm voices pop up (also including steam) that doesn't mean the majority bothers. Personally I'd even prefer to buy a game on steam than on a DRM Free Indie website.

On twitter today Swen Vinke stated that when he opened a chest he got a "Please enter promotion key message" Has anyone else run into that?

It reminds me of first playing DAO. When you're in the camp for the fist time and there's someone offering the quest to the Gray Warden's stronghold and if you tried to accept it you then found out it would cost money to be able to play it. I liked the game overall but that was one of the worst experiences in gaming for me.

Uplaywithyourself will keep most serious players away from this thing.

You mean all those serious players who also don't have Steam?

Uplay is nowhere near as evil as people make it out to be. This is a once activation DRM (for this game). Something, almost everyone is used to by now.

I'd trust your opinions much more than those of the general Steam audience, especially for a game like this.
The game is ordinary, it has no MM feel. I'm playing MM2 for the 100th time at the moment and it is much more enjoyable.

You mean all those serious players who also don't have Steam?

Uplay is nowhere near as evil as people make it out to be. This is a once activation DRM (for this game). Something, almost everyone is used to by now.
I rather use a one time activation than use other DRM so I agree.:nod:
The game is ordinary, it has no MM feel. I'm playing MM2 for the 100th time at the moment and it is much more enjoyable.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm enjoying it. With my own experience sometimes the rose tinted goggles need to come off to enjoy newer games.:)

I'm a very serious player, and I actually prefer UPlay (or Steam) than having to look for the CD to keep it in the tray so I can play.

Ok, clearing this up for those that seem to have an issue with my perspective on Uplay.....I have no problem with ONE version of drm for a product. I'm not a thief, never stolen a game in my life and simply wouldn't on principle, so I get they want to protect their merchandise. I didn't like Steam 10 yrs ago either, but I've gotten used to it and accept it now. What offends me is requiring some other drm on top of steam, no matter what it is I will never accept it. I gladly feast on those that have redundant drm features.

What offends me is requiring some other drm on top of steam, no matter what it is I will never accept it. I gladly feast on those that have redundant drm features.

Then don't buy it via Steam. You can buy it via Uplay, unless that is also offensive in some way.

Haven't played much before the patch which added the new classes due to performance problems. But it seems like it got another update. And by the first look it seems like the graphics were significantly improved and the voiceovers were implemented or am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom