Arcanum - Multiplayer Server to Close

Asbjoern

N'wah
As collateral from the Activision/Vivendi merger 21 Sierra games are having their servers closed, which will include the final breath of Arcanum's official server. Other games to lose their multiplayer support are the Ground Control series, Empire Earth, Homeworld, Star Trek: Armada, Caesar IV and No one Lives Forever 2. For a full list go here. The closure will happen 1st of November 2008.
More information.

I guess you can't blame them and as long as the multiplayer part of the games doesn't become obsolete I'm ok with it. Never knew there was an official Arcanum MP server. :D

Indeed, I had no idea such a server even existed for Arcanum.

You'd think they're pulling in enough to keep a server going, even if they have low populations...

Here's the full list:

The following game servers will be shut down as of 11/01/08:

1. Alien vs Predator 2
2. Arcanum
3. Caesar IV
4. Dark Reign 2
5. Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
6. Empire Earth
7. Empire Earth 2
8. Empire Earth: Age of Conquest
9. Ground Control
10. Ground Control2
11. Homeworld
12. Homeworld: Cataclysm
13. Nolf2
14. Red Baron
15. Sanity
16. Star Trek: Armada
17. SWAT3: EE
18. SWAT3: GOTY
19. The Incredible Machine
20. Tribes2
21. Vampire

AvP/2 was actually very fun in MP (imo)

And the Caeser games have quite an active community.

Unfortunate I think.

Actually you can play these on kali anyways

Arcanum's Multiplayer implementation wasn't very good. When I first bought the game there was lucky to be 20? people on. I'm being generous because I actually remember about 5, and this is when it first launched.

The MP mods they gave you were no where near the quality of the Single Player mod and we wished they gave us that.

However, having done some SP and MP mods in NWN I now know how different those styles can be - namely you don't need to take a systematic approach with SP and you can "cheat" on it to take short cuts with problematic scripts. To make a SP in this system MP one needs undue all of that.

Aren't some of those games strictly or mainly MP? ST:Armada comes to mind but I may be mixing it up with one of the other ST's. Ahh, Homeworld, its hard to believe its being forgotten. A groundbreaking game in terms of graphics and experience back in the day.

I'm shocked to hear Kali is still around. We used that in the '90's.

I think I articulated me the wrong way. The Sierra forum post doesn't say this but I do not think it is an official play server (Does such a thing exist?) that is being closed but the master server. Meaning you won't be able to browse for other servers. That would make sense. The other thing really wouldn't. It would hardly be newsworthy otherwise.

EDIT: I changed the wording in the newsbit a bit to reflect what the official forum post said. Even though the forum post is still ambiguous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom