OK, here's an off-the-wall question

dteowner

Shoegazer
I'm trying to find information on a specific sort of doorway. The type I'm looking for is the Hindu/Persian (I think) style with a bulb at the top. This minaret has the general shape I'm looking for:
Mecca_Masjid_minaret.JPG

but the doorways generally have a "larger onion" at the top.

It's a fairly complex story that leads me to this question, so I'll skip it for now. Thanks to anyone that might know what I'm talking about. I've burned about an hour digging around wikipedia with nothing to show for it, other than the work I didn't accomplish while I was looking.

edit- this, only not a cartoon:
1149108616_8f63n-M.jpg

Last edited:
You're my hero. ;)

Tanx!

edit- I never cease to be amazed at the breadth of eclectic knowledge our users have, but seriously, how the @#%^@ did you know that?

It's probably a thing of architexture ? I don't know.

The Pergamon Museum in Berlin has an example of that. But, due to my bad name memory, I wouldn't have been able to come up with that name, too.

You're my hero. ;)

Tanx!

edit- I never cease to be amazed at the breadth of eclectic knowledge our users have, but seriously, how the @#%^@ did you know that?

You are welcome.

It's an islamic architecture that muslims see every time they go to a mosque to pray - it is the place where the 'imam' give their talk during Friday prayers. I recently went to Istanbul in Turkey and visited many of their grand mosques and you can see many diffenent shapes and sizes of these Mihrabs.

Back
Top Bottom