The Witcher - Future Classic @ Forbes.com

I don't know what the developing consts were for the witcher, but I am sure that they are still significantly below what would have to be paid for a similar project in the US or Japan, or Germany. I would think CD Project is probably very pleased with the revenue from this game.

For a cross-platform mainstream publisher it is, because an AAA console title in the US costs 20 million to produce, so it needs at least 1.5-2 million just to break even. That's your average Oblivion, Fallout 3, BioShock, Call of Duty 4, etc. etc.
That´s two very big "if"s. ;)
This is like saying "reaching the quarter-final in the soccer world championships is the minimum goal for us". Maybe it´s true for a dozen countries, but it ignores more than a hundred others for which this would be a major success.

Once you factor in that this isn't an AAA NA title it all becomes clearer. Let's be honest here, relative to the invested cost this is probably more profitable than Madden.
Exactly. It becomes even clearer if you consider that they will recycle their previous work and do sequel, add-on, gold edition, etc. The investment in these SKUs will be rather low.

You mean Atari magically transformed into not a mainstream publisher?

Atari is a mainstream publisher. Their self-funded projects are often mainstream things. They have a 2nd branch for 3rd party distribution though. It ships a lot of more interesting stuff. Sometimes Atari decides to invest some money and slap an Atari logo on the box.

Back
Top Bottom