Indie RPGs - Driftmoon Available for Preorder

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Driftmoon is now available for preorder. There hasn't been much said about this game, but it has potential from the video clips I've seen. Here is what Driftmoon is all about:

Driftmoon is an adventure-oriented roleplaying game, with focus on storytelling, exploring and quests. In Driftmoon there are always plenty of things to find and people to meet, and instead of killing all of your enemies, you can sometimes talk your way through.
Features:
* Filled with personality, wit and goodwill!
* Explore the dungeons, wilderness and villages of Driftmoon, you never know what you might discover!
* You can talk with the people you meet. You may make new friends, you may find quests to solve, or you may encounter a hostile cultist of Ixal.
* Driftmoon comes with the full editor tools used to create the game. We have our own easy scripting language, a great level editor, animation tools, the complete set!
* You can drag things around!
* Memorable and melodic music by the talented Gareth Meek.
Preorder Driftmoon for just €11.99!
The only thing that might turn off some people is the top-down view. Everything else about it looks like it could be a fun little game.
More information.

Well, at this price it is surely tempting...and prior games were well received as far as I know.

I'll probably have to just keep this in mind until I see what madness Black Friday unleashes later this month and reckon it from there...

Hi, I'm the developer. Glad to see Driftmoon being received so well! :)

Just wanted to let you know the demo you found is actually our year old preview. We've actually remade the plot completely and much of the gameplay since that, so it's gotten a lot better! We're going to release a new demo a while later, I'll let you know about it...

I get a headache just looking at the screenshots... any reason for choosing that kind of view?

I get a headache just looking at the screenshots… any reason for choosing that kind of view?

The viewpoint is unusual, but less headache inducing than KotC, to me. And I must say the screens got a nice colorful look to them. Will check it out when there is a demo. Welcome, ville, always nice to see another indie RPG developer!

I admit the head shot takes a little to get used to, but if you watch the video it seems there is a lot more to this game than just the graphics.

I mean who doesn't love a talking mushroom who says, "Please, don't kill me." or a skeleton trying to dig to the other side of the world ;) If the quests are original like that then I could easily overlook the camera angle.

Here is the video for anyone interested.

Welcome to RPGWatch, Ville.

That's what is annoying I guess, I saw so many indies with a lot of potential, a lot of work, and very polished, but got something basic wrong. That said it does look a bit better in the video compared to the screens.

I get a headache just looking at the screenshots… any reason for choosing that kind of view?

That's a common question, I've covered it a bit in my blog:http://www.instantkingdom.com/2010/09/why-top-down/

Mainly it boils down to being able to make the characters using sprites instead of actual 3D models. It's a lot easier to add hundreds of unique characters this way, I don't have to model them all. Plus it's much easier to create your own mods, you don't need 3D software to mod Driftmoon.

Another reason for top-down is the controls. I find it much easier to control the character this way. I admit it's a viewpoint that's not common these days, so it could take some getting used to. :)

And thanks skavenhorde!

I find the view a bit disorienting but I think I could get used to it. I'm more bothered by the short view distance, although perhaps that is adjustable. I've always found ARPGs frustrating in part because I can't see what's coming even though it's 20-30 feet away just because of the camera angle. That frustration gets exacerbated even more with a top-down view. But this still looks like an intriguing game and I'm always happy to see new indie RPGs.

I'll definitely check it out once the updated demo is out.

I find the view a bit disorienting but I think I could get used to it. I'm more bothered by the short view distance, although perhaps that is adjustable. I've always found ARPGs frustrating in part because I can't see what's coming even though it's 20-30 feet away just because of the camera angle. That frustration gets exacerbated even more with a top-down view. But this still looks like an intriguing game and I'm always happy to see new indie RPGs.

I'll definitely check it out once the updated demo is out.

You'll be glad to hear that I've already added the ability to zoom in/out using the mouse wheel. :)

Back
Top Bottom