The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Last edited:
Actually, I think that was, sans the dots, the old way it was done. Beat down to nothing, split them off, then kill. Of course, originally when the Shroud came out there was no Mass Heal, as the cap was 16 then, and sp totals were much lower in addition to using more inefficient mass cures. And they had no auras or bursts to defray costs.

Even after Mass Heal hit, there was a time where it was bugged and only hit 6 people. We missed out on all that fun though, it was fixed around U4 IIRC. after I started playing, though I'm not sure it was after I joined the group.

Considering that currently most trash in parts 1 and 2 are wiped out by "hocus pocuses", and one has to break the crystal or the whole group starts over, I doubt there's anyone really caring that melees beat down those 4 bosses.

*edit* I was right, there's a thread on the strategy in the Khyber forums. Old way was drag to center, beat down, split then kill. Then it changed to 2 center/2 in the south corners, then split to all 4 corners (that would be a PITA), finally to the "usual" 3-1 NE split we do now.

I often read in the chat window, too. It never fails to give me a chuckle each play. ;)

Attachments

• To make lag worse.jpg
    To make lag worse.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 28
Any tricks to soloing Rainbow? To build a weapon blank for Wouldii, I need 2 pie pieces (Rainbow, Sleeping Dust), 2 pebbles (rainbow and ritual), and 2 twigs (coal chamber and rainbow). Notice the trend? It's a reasonably short quest, but I'm a little curious how viable it is for a melee to solo since you have to hold the staff.

I soloed it on Rachail as a Paladin, but it wasn't easy. I used the stick in my offhand, and took it slow. I also had to get a store repair guy because the rust monsters ate most of my gear before hitting the pit.

Be easier to grab someone to help out some. Just send me a tell in skype if I'm not in game, I'll be glad to come and carry the light and kill some stuff. Gives me a chance to check out my new pet.

I've been in a group trying the Shroud part 2 damage in the south center and then split up. It didn't turn out well at all. The main reason is that the distance back to the center is short. So the timing of the kills have to be perfect. What happened was that people had dotted the monsters and once they we tried to split them some of the bosses died too early and managed to respawn before all where dead.

This happened twice until the leader gave up and went back to the 3/1 method. That worked immediately. I think the main reason to bring the bosses NE is that then the walking distance back to the center is maximized so you have a longer time window to finish off the 4 bosses. You can actually drag the 3 bosses except the ellie to the far north east and prep them to almost 0% and then begin the split.

The elemental in the south east is often easy to finish off fast. Fire is quick back to the center so you don't have much time. The fastest is the cat so you need him far to the north east and he must be killed last. The orthon and devil take forever to get to the center so they can be killed first.

I never have any real problems with the 3/1 method. If I give directions and people follow them we succeed every time. One time we got into trouble because the guy in the center doing the crystal was attacked by trash bezekiras and didn't tell he was busy in combat when he was supposed to take out the crystal. The bezekiras knock you down. Then we had to do all over again.

This is the main reason I do normal shrouds only. You can always recover from a mishap in normal. In hard you have to do things by the book or you risk getting wiped. I join hard groups from time to time and see wipes 50% of the time.

Last time I wiped on hard was with my fvs. We wiped because the melees didn't have decent dps (no epic and GS tier 3 weapons). So we needed a 5 rounder in part 4 where half the group was dead before round 5. In part 5 we wiped because the clerics ran out of mana and didn't want to use pots while I as the fvs was the one responsible for healing and raising. The clerics couldn't raise anybody since they were out of mana and didn't have enough scrolls.

A hard shroud is easy if the dps is good, very hard otherwise. I have done a hard shroud part 4 as a 2 rounder with a very good group. You know already in part 1 how part 4 and 5 will be. If the portals go down fast then you know the dps is good. So I always look for the green or pink (epic) glow of people's weapons in part 5. If I see that most have it then I know the run will be easy. If not then I know we will struggle.

The main problem with inviting to a pug is that you have no idea of the power of a person joining. Level and hp don't say much. Only only see the performance once you're inside. Usually TR's perform better because the have had time to get better gear, but not always. Some TR's suck.

The main problem with inviting to a pug is that you have no idea of the power of a person joining. Level and hp don't say much. Only only see the performance once you're inside. Usually TR's perform better because the have had time to get better gear, but not always. Some TR's suck.

Curse and blessing at the same time. Curse, because you really can't see it, blessing if you become positively surprised.

In the PUGs I was in so far there have been very competent people. I was surpised, because from the Forums' talk I had expected much, much worse.
Or it's just drama in the forums ?!

Usually I get into PUG groups that complete the mission. Fortunately my toons are so strong so they don't become a liability in the group. They do their share and maybe more.

When you join a normal group you rarely fail. The times I see wipes are either low/mid level quests on elite where people aren't geared for the quest.

E. g. my dwarf cleric joined VON3 on elite at level in 2 different groups and wiped both times. Most of the toons were TR's or veterans, but lacked the dps to overcome the regeneration of the Marut. Melees need anarchic or chaotic weapons and we need 2casters to survive.

I've sometimes wiped on hard/elite raids like Hound of Xoriat, Vision of Destruction and Shroud. Those quests are certainly doable on hard, but you need people who know what they're doing and have prepared for the quests. E. g. in VoD all people need remove curse potions (many) and you need 3 healers to share the burden of healing. People need raise and heal scrolls to save mana. All times I failed in VoD the boss was down to about 5%. When the healers ran out of mana and pots the group wiped.

Hound of Xoriat is a bit different. This is a quest where you fight against time. So everything has to go smoothly from getting aggro from Xyzzy, getting stones to charm the pups and getting more stones to keep pups charmed when the original charm wears out. The trick there is that more and more renders and beholders spawn so you fight to keep them at bay until Xyzzy can be killed. You need to get out to grab more stones and if the group outside gets into trouble then the raid fails. I succeeded on a hard raid once when my paladin got aggro from 6 renders and some beholders on the outside running in the outside circle keeping the aggro. I used lay on hands to stay alive and bought time for the others to kill the mind flayer for the stone needed to kill xyzzy. When I ran out of LOH I died and the monsters moved to the center, but it was too late for them. So my pally sacrificed himself for the group. :) The worst wiped I've seen was when an inexperienced caster used a globe of invulnerability too close to Xyzzy so the pups moved through the globe. That meant the charm wore off and we wiped shortly afterwards because we had no pups to damage Xyzzy.

So in raid you can actually wipe from a poor decision by just one member. This is something you don't have control of. More often we wipe because of poor preparation from some. E. g. some people join a raid on hard as their first time play through. That's going to make problems. Casters and healers need to have pots if they play on hard or elite and so on. We also see melees coming to the group with no DR breakers. E. g. you have to have silver + good to have full damage against the bosses in Shroud and VoD. Fortunately you can get silver from an artificer.

Still, I think people doing their best to help shouldn't be blamed if we wipe on a raid. Eventually they get better gear and will contribute more. What I don't accept are those who ignore commands from the raid leader and creates a difficult situation. One example is Shroud part 4 where it's normal to save the last devil in each round so blades can disappear before Harry arrives. Some ignore that and we're in the boss fight with many blades and not having all the buffs we need. In part 5 some finish off the last boss before the casters and healers have got all their mana back and so on. THAT is annoying.

Fortunately this doesn't happen very often. So I think pug'ing in DDO is actually a positive experience. Sometimes you get into a group where you feel you're the really squishy one, but then you can just enjoy how smoothly the quest goes. Fortunately those guys rarely complains because you only have greensteel weapons instead of epic ones. Only once I have seen a raid leader dismissing a player because he didn't have a good enough main weapon.

I have one time as a group leader recommended a player to not play though. The time was when we did an elite quest (around 15-17) and the wizard had 86 hitpoints if I recall correctly. The others had between 200-500.

You need three divines in VoD? I've solo-healed elite on both Aerii as a Cleric and Mirys. I've also been in several runs as Rachail or Fireflash which had only one divine healing, or in one case on hard, one Bard.

I've never done the center then split method, but I can see where it can have issues. Biggest is who has aggro of what? With the 3-1, usually you can tell who has aggro, and it's no issue to pulling them apart. Since they die after everything is prepped, instead of whenever they get far enough from the others for the dot to kill them, rarely will you fail this method unless someone deliberately kills one too soon. And even then, with enough dps, you can salvage that.

Well … So now I finished "Delara's Tomb (or was it "Delera's Tomb" ? I don't remember anymore and I surely mix both) for the very first time …

The Quest Reward list was sweeet … And I decided upon The Master's Voice … ;)

It is an magnificent reward, a thing everyone should take, imho. For its symbolic meaning, at least. ;)

It turned out that taking that hammer with the "mighty undead bane" from the Guild Chest not long ago was a very good idea. The "Pale Masters", as I call them, suddenly were very "squishy" ! ;)

I played on normal.

Master's Voice is the AUTOMATIC first selection from Delera and the main reason it is such a popular series!! Next go for the Cartouche

Actually, the Voice is a second selection, as you will always get it in the end reward list. The other stuff, you won't. Other stuff including the best two handed weapon before level 10-12 (and it's replacements are both raid items), a UMD +3 necklace, +4 STR gloves 2 levels before you could normally get +4 STR, etc. A lot of good named items in the end reward that you may never see again.

After about 30 some odd runs aiming for my first Carnifex, and probably 70 total with only one other having dropped, Voice isn't quite the first choice for me. I can always run it again and get another one. You're not guaranteed any of the other items will ever drop again.

a UMD +3 necklace, +4 STR gloves

Didn't get them, don't know why.

Well, regarding the other items … I think that Delera's (Delara's ?) Tomb is among the list of the quests changed from U13 on so that within every third run "named items" will be shown :

Many adventures will now offer special end reward lists when players complete their quest arcs for the third time (and every three times thereafter!) Named items that can appear on a quest arc’s end reward list will have a 100% chance of appearing on every third completion of the story arc. Special third completion rewards are available for:

The Catacombs
The Ruins of Threnal
Sorrowdusk Isle
Delera’s Tomb
Tangleroot Gorge
Shan-to-Kor
The Phiarlan Carnival
The Sharn Syndicate
The Reign of Madness
Harbinger of Madness
Attack on Stormreach
The Waterworks
The Path of Inspiration
The Dreaming Dark
Reaver’s Reach
The Red Fens
Some quests offer specific rewards on third completion, see individual quest information below for further detail.

Source :
The Wiki : http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_13_Release_Notes
The Compendium : http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Update_13_Official

Edit : DDO Music : http://www.ddo.com/ddomedia/audio

Last edited:
I think some raids like VoD have been upgraded in difficulty, especially on hard and elite.

I think it's impossible now for one healer to solo heal VoD on hard. I know from experience because I've tried and I drink lots of pots. The problem is that you get overloaded with work. It's hard to both heal and raise dead.

I guess it a very well equipped group nobody will die so a healer can focus on just healing. Problem is that i PUG's you don't know the strength of the group.

With more healers sharing the load the chances of success is better

Last edited:
I have read similar reports of increased difficulty in the forums. One thread deals with the question why there is a "dungeon alert" there at all ?

I've healed VoD since U11 when the raid difficulty was increased. In VoD it's not much of a difference than before, a bit longer due to the increased fortification of the boss. No pots were needed, because I used scrolls and capstone to heal the tank. So sp was only used on the occasional mass heal for the group. I know this from experience. I've solo healed VoD elite since U11, and I've ran VoD elite on other characters who were in a solo healed run.

No raid in DDO requires multiple divines to heal it, barring maybe the House C raids, which I never ran. No quest requires multiple divines, and in fact can be completed sans any divine caster given a capable and self sufficient group. I've been in several pug groups that had no casters at all, and we completed just fine on elite. This includes Shadow Crypt.

Dungeon Alert is there simply to prevent people from rushing through, ignoring all mobs in a quest, and causing strain on the server as it tries to run the ai for hundreds of mobs per instance. It is broken in some quests, such as Bastion, due to transparent floors. Mobs can aggro on a player without being able to reach them. Some other quests tend to get into higher levels of alert instantly even if you kill everything, like Coal Chamber, due to large numbers of spawning mobs.

I have to play taxi again tomorrow. Cheerleader had an extra practice dropped in prior to Sunday's competition. Remembering my 7pm start time, I'll leave around 7:50 and get back 8:20 or so. The gym's 12 minutes each direction, so there won't be a 15 minute miracle run like last time.

One option would be to let Monkey run the toon while I'm gone. She'd be borderline useless (like, worse than Corwin :p ) with a caster so I would avoid Shadow Crypt and the like, but at least that wouldn't put y'all in a holding pattern. Or y'all can do your own thing at the beginning and I'll just show up when I get back. Whatever the group prefers.

Back
Top Bottom