Dark Souls II - April PC Release?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
VG 24/7 has news that Dark Souls 2 will be released on the PC in April. They even have an ad with the date, and collector's edition. Unfortunately Namco wont acknowledge it.

image60-600x375.jpg

Dark Souls 2 will be released on PC April 25, according to an advert from Bandai Namco posted on Siliconera.

Amazon had it listed previously for a May 31 release, but that appears to have just been a place holder – if the advert is genuine.

Namco has since tweeted that it has not announced a release date, but will have “more on it soon”.

The game will purportedly have 4x the resolution as the console versions and will run at 60fps. It will be released via Steam.
More information.

Ack more games I want to play all coming out within a month of each other. Lets see there is AoW3, ESO, and now Dark Souls 2. Let me take a guess when they are going to release Wasteland 2 and Witcher 3?

A month and a half later than in consoles. I thought they did learn with the previous release and wanted to give it the same attention as the consoles' version.

I'm fine with the wait as long as they do a proper pc version.

If this is a real release date then at least the pc has one which can't be said for the next gen consoles.

A month and a half later than in consoles. I thought they did learn with the previous release and wanted to give it the same attention as the consoles' version.

To be fair, one must remember that From Software's roots have always been in console games. As far as I know, Dark Souls is the first PC release they've ever done. So the fact that a PC release of Dark Souls 2 for the PC comes after the console releases isn't surprising, at least to me.

Except for the mouse and graphics config issues, they actually did a really good PC port, I haven't encountered a single bug or crash, even after playing for many hours in a go.

So what issues are there except the two I mentioned above ?

Depends on what you mean by "mouse and graphics config issues".

The control layout was beyond abysmal - and the mouse issues were but a part of the control problem. If, by graphics config, you mean how it ran with a crappy resolution and completely ignored that it was running on a PC and not a console, then we can agree about that.

Then we had the 100% console-centric interface - with exactly zero effort to make use of PC standards, like hotkeys and a halfway decent inventory screen.

The less said about the Xbox Live integration the better.

It's pretty much the most blatant straight port I've seen in recent times.

Talking about it being a good port is like saying it's good because it's barely functional.

To each his own :)

I guess it was a long time ago I played any other PC ports, but the interface is definitely console centric, isn't it for all console ports though?

I agree with you that out of the box it is abysmal and unplayable, but except for the interface the other issues where fixed by 60 minutes community patch. This is what suprises me and perhaps were not "clearly" enough communicated in the post.

They got all the things which were hard to do right ( except the interface ) but they stumbled completely with something that could have been fixed within one day.

I guess it was a long time ago I played any other PC ports, but the interface is definitely console centric, isn't it for all console ports though?

Sure, but not all ports ignore the PC conventions so completely. Hotkeys, a sensible key layout and a workable interface screen should have been part of the port. I mean, have you checked out the completely opaque inventory screen where you have to switch between 3 modes just to get basic information on gear/stats?

Unforgivably stupid on a PC, if you ask me.

I agree with you that out of the box it is abysmal and unplayable, but except for the interface the other issues where fixed by 60 minutes community patch. This is what suprises me and perhaps were not "clearly" enough communicated in the post.

The community patch was great - but it doesn't fix the interface issues. Also, I find the game very uncomfortable using the mouse, so I felt forced into using my Xbox controller. Thankfully, that wasn't a problem for me.

They got all the things which were hard to do right ( except the interface ) but they stumbled completely with something that could have been fixed within one day.

Essentially, I don't think they gave much of a shit - really.

I agree with DArtagnan on the port. In particular there are two main gribes for me:

1) Mouse control was abysmal that rendered the game unplayable - which was fixed later on by a modder.

2) Complete and utter lack of support after the game release knowing all the problems - still unforgivible even though modders fixed the main problems.

It is a direct xbox stable port, with no consideration whatsoever about the PC requirements or interface. Understandable for the lack of experience with the PC platform, but at least they should have supported it after release.

Also, let us wait and see what they will do with the GFWL when it goes offline - the proof is in the pudding as they say!

I thought they made the PC port after a petition campaign from PC users. I also seem to remember that they were quite clear about making a quick (and dirty) and not very polished port, sort of take it as it is.

For Dark Souls 2 a PC version has been on their roadmap from the beginning, so a better implementation should be expected.

pibbur who has been incorrect on one or two occasions. And who is not troubled by the release date.

I thought they made the PC port after a petition campaign from PC users. I also seem to remember that they was quite clear about making a quick (and dirty) and not very polished port, sort of take it as it is.

For Dark Souls 2 a PC version has been on their roadmap from the beginning, so a better implementation is to be expected.

pibbur who has been incorrect on one or two occasions.

Doesn't change what it is, though.

It would be like Bush admitting he's an idiot. Wouldn't work out much better for the people.

Doesn't change what it is, though.

It would be like Bush admitting he's an idiot. Wouldn't work out much better for the people.

Doesn't change what it is, I agree with that. Only that you could make an informed decision whether it would be worth buying it or not.

Unlike other projects being - slightly inaccurately - sold as complete versions.

pibbur

Doesn't change what it is, I agree with that. Only that you could make an informed decision whether it would be worth buying it or not.

Unlike other projects being - slightly inaccurately - sold as complete versions.

pibbur

If you want to play it and you don't have a console - there's really not much choice involved :)

Kinda like the presidential candidates :)

The poll is basically asking: do you want a bad port or nothing?

Pretty manipulative and hardly a good excuse for putting out crap.

I don't think it's manipulative at all, I think they were honest.

I still think you have a choice, and you can't always get what you want. If you want a good PC port of the game - well, it was clear from the beginning there is no such thing. Nobody's forcing a mediocre implementation upon you.

OTOH, if you think that none of the president candidates deserves your vote, you can always decide not to vote, but you still have to live with the one that got elected.

pibbur

I don't know how honest they were. What I read said it would be pretty much a straight port.( granted I didn't read every article put out) They also said they RECOMMEND using a controller.

From my memory it was pretty vague, they didn't come out and say the game will only support 720p @30 fps and if you want to use M&k then the game is broken.

The sad thing is that apparently if they spent a couple more hours like the modder did they could have released a decent port. Also even after seeing how easily a modder fixed it they couldn't be bothered to make a quick hot fix.

I don't accept the "we don't know a lot about pc programming" excuse either. They still took everyone's money. I own a flooring business, if I decide on day that I want to install windows and I do a crap job, I really can't just say sorry were a flooring company and don't know much about windows.

Having said all that, the game is great. (after modding) I can play it better with a M&K than a controller and I can run it at 2560X1440@60 fps. (down sampled)

I still can't give From Software a pass, If this was an EA game there would be outrage and a probable class action lawsuit. They saw 100,000 sales and wanted to take the cheapest route to a cash grab. IMO.

Hopefully they live up to their word and do a good job on DS2.

All I want from DS 2 is proper mouse support - that's it!

If the game is half as good as the first (which I am sure will be and probably better), then I am happy and looking forward to it.

I pre-ordered the armoured edition (first time from a very long while) on Amazon with the limited metal cards

My argument relied on them being completely clear and not misleading, directly or indirectly, about what to expect. If they weren't, shame on them. I (naively) thought they were.

BTW, we're renovating floors in our house. We discovered that the hotwater tank had started to leak. It had been going on for a while, so we had to open the floor (wooden) and replace the parts that were damaged. It turned out that damages were a bit more extensive, as water had been leaking in from the outside and from the ground itself, due to insufficient protection. The house was built i 1960, and some of the details weren't exactly kosher. We've had a few surprises. So we'll completely replace flooring in two rooms. Fortunately, insurance will cover part of it.

pibbur who also look forward to DS2, but don't know when he'll play it.

Back
Top Bottom