Two Worlds: The Temptation - GC Preview @ IGN

You're quoting c&c like a mantra but I was talking about the quality of the writing. Chris Avellone had nothing to do with the Dark Brotherhood (or anything else in OB) but Emil Pagliarulo's writing was pretty good, as was the Grey Fox storyline and many of the individual quests spread throughout. Were they great examples of non-linear, branching RPG design? No. Were they well written? Miles ahead of anything I saw in TW.

I have to agree that Dark Brotherhood was, by far, the best questline in Oblivion, and the only one where I really felt involved. However, I have not heard anything about Avellone writing anything for Oblivion.. ? That particular questline is certainly of much higher quality than the rest of the quests in Oblivion, but I still consider it unlikely that a writer for Obsidian would write anything for Bethesda.

That being said, DB was also the only quest I'd place significantly above the writing in Two Worlds. Other than that, it's pretty much the same in my opinion (lightyears away from the work of Mr. Planescape Torment).

I wanted to like Two Worlds but just couldn't get much out of it. The random banter in Oblivion was pretty suspect but I found the quest writing orders of magnitude better than TW.

I'm probably mistaken about Avellone on Oblivion, I thought I remember someone saying he wrote just the DB questline before.

Anyways, the quality of writing in Oblivion was probably 80% or so trash, similar to TW. The only good writing I remember at all, (by good equalling mid-level fantasy novels or so) was in the books you find in the game. The actual subjects in the dialogs were worse then TW, though they were spoken in better English without the olde english fanfare.

So, even though the presentation of the ideas/info/quest were nicer and more pleasant to hear, the ideas/info/quests themselves were better then in Oblivibloom. Neither were as good as the Gothics but.....

I looked it up, and it seems Emil Pagliarulo was responsible for the Dark Brotherhood quest. He is currently in charge of Fallout 3, I think.

Back
Top Bottom