Mass Effect - Heading to PC?

magerette

Hedgewitch
This one comes straight from Rumor Central by way of a blogger, so a grain of salt should be applied but the story at gaming site Destructoid goes like this:
Until there's an official statement, this is slapped with a rumor tag, but one of our Destructoid Community Bloggers has seemingly discovered that his videogame store will be receiving copies of BioWare's Mass Effect for PC.
The discovery came from an EA newsletter which arrived at the store where Dtoider myaimistrue works. It lists the game as MASS EFFECT PC DVD 5030945065685 EAN07706226 TBC TBC ACTION 18+ 25 SWE ENG. Complying with one of the cardinal rules of the Internet (pics or it didn't happen), he also provided a shot of the newsletter itself, which can be viewed below.
This isn't very hard to imagine being true, since a game like Mass Effect should be quite comfortable with PC controls, if only because the 360 control mapping was bloody awful (once again, the back button threw grenades and there were three buttons to draw your weapon). A good few gamers wanted to see this come to their computers and now it looks like it'll be happening.
Destructoid will keep you mouse n' keyboarders posted when there's more news to go on.
More information.

Not doubt per se, but there's some sort of exclusivity contract with MS that was involved. I think it's the time frame of it being mentioned so early that's the surprise, if any. :)

How nice of them to beta test it on consoles first, so us PC gamers can enjoy a properly polished product. Go BioWare!

Hardly a surprise, what's there more to say about it?

Not doubt per se, but there's some sort of exclusivity contract with MS that was involved. I think it's the time frame of it being mentioned so early that's the surprise, if any. :)

MS exclusivity contracts tend to last on year, so that'd put us in a while yet before a PC port is possible. Which'd be a nice timeframe to build a port in anyway (though porting from Xbox to PC is supposed to be pretty easy).

So yeah, stick this one under Rumors, even though the port is inevitably coming. It is inevitabre.

Directx10 exclusive maybe

I think BN means "one" year which has been their standard in the past. Probably out before Dragon Age then, or is that coming this year?

If it does come to the PC, I wonder if they'll be making any changes to the xenolesberotica. It kinda goes without saying that fan mods will be exploiting all in-game textures and models to their fullest.

Oh, I've learned a new word ! :D "Xenolesberotica" ! :D LOL :D

I've been playing influenza all day. Those potions of Nyquil's Magic Aura have some potent side effects. Nice to know my fuzzy head was good for something. Now if you'll excuse me, I really need to go pass out now.

This is really no surprise to me either. If we take Jade Empire SE as an example, we will see Mass Effect out for PC in february 2009 or so. Jade Empire for the Xbox was out in nov. 2005 or so? then in february/march 2007, the Jade Empire: SE was released.

Similar thing could happen here. And yes, Dragon Age could well be out in November 2008...

Last edited:
I think BN means "one" year which has been their standard in the past. Probably out before Dragon Age then, or is that coming this year?

I think they both might be out around the same time, end of this year/beginning of next. Q4 2007/Q1 2008. But with Dragon Age, who knows?

If they both bomb, don't expect BioWare to continue to care about the PC market. Pretty sure EA will turn them towards the console market, with cheap PC ports in the future.

Or perhaps not. We'll see.

Bioware already doesn't care for the PC market. Most of what they do is already console exclusive, with PC ports at a much later date.

And if Dragon Age is any example, it's release dragging around for years (how long ago was it announced ) before it found a publisher, we'll hardly see another PC only title from Bio.

I think its more to due do with Microsoft telling them not to release on PC (possibly a deal of somkind) than anything else.

I agree.

I believe MS is able to do that. Like with this Shadowrun thing.

Yeah, I guess that's why they keep updating and patching NWN and NWN2. Because they don't care. :rolleyes:

They have nothing to do with NWN2. And they support NWN not to lose the already existing community, it's huge, and it's common sence for Bio not to alienate them.

I agree.

I believe MS is able to do that. Like with this Shadowrun thing.

Oh, they can. Hers what one small game developer says microsoft told him about his xbox360/PC game:

The PC version will never be released if MS refuse to concept approve the game for the XB360 due to there being a PC version. What means is that, rather than ship a PC version, I would finish the XB360 development and ship that instead because obviously the XB360 version is more beneficial to us.

Sometimes MS will allow the PC version of a game to be released a short while after the XB360 version. That being the case, if they don't say "no PC version, ever", then the PC version may follow after the XB360 version. Given how that works, I wouldn't expect to see it inside of a year after the XB360 version.

http://www.3000ad.com/forum/index.ph...49000001&st=20

Basicly he must delay the PC version or MS wont allow him to release the game on xbox360. He has no choice.

Back
Top Bottom