New Wizardry 8 Mod

Great news!
I will immediately start searching for my old english Wizardry8 Disks and try out your mod - thanks god i always buy the original english version of all available rpg´s... ;)

C just has my OS and major, non-gaming progs like Office!!

I see. Well if you don't have an OS on drive D that you can run that drive from then just redirect the path from C:\Program files\Sirtech to D:\Program files\Sirtech

I set it up so that you get the option to change the path before you install it.

Great news indeed - I was always kinda disappointed that the community didn't do more for this game. I liked what Flamestryke and others did, I just hoped for more stuff to polish this jewel in the rough.

Dodd, was there anything you liked about previous mods, and have you looked into using any of that prior work in your own? Or, would any of the other mods remain compatible with yours, anyway?

Yes. I liked the deathstalker in the deathstalker mods. He was a good training tool once you knew how to use him and i have carried the idea over.
Flamestryke taught me to re-skin monsters and i have used some of her ideas for some of the skins.
Mostly though i have done my own thing because i think each modder should put their own stamp on the game.
If you have played the other mods then it won't take you long to see how mine is different.
The other mods are not compatible with mine because i have made alterations that affect files that the other mods could not touch due to the limitations of the cosmic forge editor when the others did their work.

When i was making the mod i had my version open and deathstalkers at the same time so that i could learn how certain things were done.
Quite a few of the item models that Lana created i have used and made some of my own too.
Both these modders are mentioned in the readme file in the acknowledgements.

Last edited:
Can you play this mod with a party imported from Wiz7 or do you have to make a new one?

There should be no problems with an imported party. Give it a try.
One thing though. From what i understand you can start from either the beach, Marten's bluff or the umpani base camp.
Monster generators behave strangely when your party has advanced no level or is very low meaning that you can encounter monsters within a generator that normally you would not encounter till you are much higher in level.
I have generators in Martens Bluff and in the Umpani base camp with high level monsters that you are likely to encounter right away, and therefore you would never survive those starting points.

Dodd.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, Dodd - will likely wait for your 2.0 release, though, since I guess it makes more sense.

2.0 is a long way off because i am testing new features of the editor while i make it, and i have to wait for a updates that will fix any bugs that i find.
I am going to have to redo a lot of work because of this.

Last edited:
Imported Party.

I imported my WIZ7 party,started on the beach and everything went fine.:D

Now just reached Arnika for first time.

Enjoying it muchly.:cool:

Hey. You are playing my mod yes ??? No problems with installation ? and did you find Titus ok in the upper Monastary? He is very important, but being a generated character does not always show up.

I played this mod for some time, but the game freezes (i cant do anything in the game, but music still plays) from time to time, especially near places where something new is (compared to vanilla wiz8), i.e. in Arnika, near the crash site, Helli's. I had very similar problem with Christian Coder's mod, but deathstalkers and vanilla wiz8 game where Ok. Anybody knows what's the problem, or encountered it? I play english version, patch 1.24. Unfortunately, for me, it is unplayable :(.

I have never heard of that before. Most players have been able to complete my mod and the only issues they had were somethihing they would like to see changed for some of them.
Unless your game crashes with an error message then it is hard to know what is wrong here.
Can you be specific about where these frezes occur and do they always occur in the same instance ?

Quick note that bears mentioning--it appears Dodd's mod is compatible with Wizfast. That would have to be considered a good thing.

Oh yes you can use things like wiz8fast ond the transparent compass.
Its just not compatible with any mod using MadGods editor.

A couple buggies:
1- typo in enchanted mace when asking for gemstones-- "too"
2- Got an enchanted helm (as a drop, did not build it) and the SP regen seems wrong. It says +1, but it's acting almost like +10. My bishop is regenerating SP during combat. Perhaps that +1 is being added every combat round? It's too fast while camping to just be +1, so it's not just a combat problem.

And a thought-
The treasure hunter was fun, but a 25 round battle due to guardian angel is pretty tough for a young party. They don't have the stamina for it.

Getting ready to leave the monestary now. We'll see what Arnika Road brings.

edit- Level 4 acid bomb against a level 5/6 party? Boo. That's doing 15-20hp per round on everyone. Another treasure hunter. I'm OK with the level 7 sleep spells since it doesn't affect everyone and you could use smelling salts, but a "damage everyone with no save" spell is a bit unfair since there's no way anyone will have purify air via spell or item at that point in the game.

Last edited:
Is it possible to improve wiz8? I thought it was perfect allready.
It's certainly a tall order, but I like what little I've seen from Dodd's mod so far, other than that damn treasure hunter.

edit- yep, he still likes that acid bomb spell. 3 rounds and everyone's dead. Boo.

Last edited:
A couple buggies:
1- typo in enchanted mace when asking for gemstones-- "too"
2- Got an enchanted helm (as a drop, did not build it) and the SP regen seems wrong. It says +1, but it's acting almost like +10. My bishop is regenerating SP during combat. Perhaps that +1 is being added every combat round? It's too fast while camping to just be +1, so it's not just a combat problem.

And a thought-
The treasure hunter was fun, but a 25 round battle due to guardian angel is pretty tough for a young party. They don't have the stamina for it.

This is not a bug. Mana is going up 1 per battle round and going up fast during camping because at this stage in the game you don't have many spell points.
Later on in the game it will go up a lot slower while camping.

Remember you don't have to go for the second treasure hunter early game and the first one is easy once you know what to do.
No spoilers on that here though.

Who did you get dropping the enchanted helm ? That is not supposed to happen since none of the loots in the game have that item included.

I don't remember for certain, but I got the helm in the monestary before I got the ID Item spell. Actually, I think it might have been in one of the coffins in the lower zone. Yep, pretty sure I had it when I visited Burz, so that would be before going to the upper monestary zone. Sorry my memory isn't better--my brain's in "play mode" rather than "beta test" mode.

Skipping that second hunter blows if you've got a bard. Keeping the piercing pipes out of reach gimps them pretty badly. I almost had the bastard on my 4th attempt, but my crew (what was left of them) ran completely out of stamina and went unconcious before he cast his third acid bomb of the 30+ round battle.

Back
Top Bottom