Fallout: New Vegas - Magazine Tidbits

Dhruin

SasqWatch
As often happens, magazines have hit some subscribers early and some tidbits on Fallout: New Vegas have hit the 'net. There's a lengthy thread at the Bethsoft forums from the PC Gamer cover article but NMA has collected the comments together. A sample:

• There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc.
  • Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
  • The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion (slavers from the east) vs. New Vegas residents.
  • You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.
They also have some clarifications and comments from Josh Sawyer here and here. In particular, dialogue is clarified:
This is how it works. Each skill-based dialogue option has two different texts: one for high skill (which will result in success) and one for low skill (which will result in failure). If you do not meet the required threshold, you see the latter.
More information.

Not sure if it is appropriate for us to link to scans, so I won't provide the link to it (yet). But over on the SA forum thread for FO: NV, there are some nice scans of the article. Definitely worth the read. Though, the article is "spoilerish."

Not sure if it is appropriate for us to link to scans, so I won't provide the link to it (yet). But over on the SA forum thread for FO: NV, there are some nice scans of the article. Definitely worth the read. Though, the article is "spoilerish."

The SA forum, don't you mean the BH forum, or the RT forum… in other words maybe
5 ppl here know what that means, the rest of us are just confused.

Indeed Sa forums ring very little meaning to us..

However without further ado No mutans allowed has posted a news link leading to the pc gamer preview scans. http://www.nma-fallout.com/

That would make the hardcore mode easier in that respect, so what would be the point?

Not if it was like the hardcore mode in IWD.

Only issue with Fallout 3 I had was the progression.
First how the main questline was constructed that was a straight A-B-C-D-E affair that tells you "follow the waypoint" instead of "explore". Gothic 3 is the best example of a non-linear free-roaming game I have seen. You are sent out to find X amount of chalices and you need to gain X amount of faction reputation to make progress, and it doesn't really matter what chalices you find (that are spread out on the map) or where you get the reputation. This offers completely non-linear main quest up to a certain point.

The second issue was the character scaling. I think scaling is important as you progress the main questline, so you beef up to deal with the tougher challenges up ahead. This gives beefing up a purpose, "get stronger, overcome tougher challenges, thus make progress". However, in F3 you level far too quickly and you find the best weapons early on. Very quickly you kill everything with ease, and you were never really required to level before making progress on the main questline.

I do not mind some "scaling" as long as it's done while making progress on the main quest (like spawning enclave soldiers after a certain point), but I think it can be utilized further by also upping the loot.

I found the world in F3 to be great, the map, the atmosphere, the people you talk to etc, but it's core RPG mechanics was really weak.

Back
Top Bottom