Mass Effect - Reviews @ Boomtown & Gameplay Monthly

I'd say that you're in a very small minority if thought the gameplay in BG2 was "barely tolerable."

True, I'm just playing through it again and it's on a completely different level to NWN. Reminds me why I didn't pick up the latter for a few years.

I'd say that you're in a very small minority if thought the gameplay in BG2 was "barely tolerable."
Not at the Codex. Though, recently there have been posters referring to BG2 and its combat in positive terms, making certain old-timers (and relatively new ones too) complain about the "Fall of the Codex". ;)

I agree though, comparing BG2's combat to that of NWN1 is practically an insult. I thought BG2's combat was at the very least "adequate", and parts of it, like the mage battles (especially if you solo a mage/sorcerer) were really quite good. The "party on party" battles were another favorite (like the Athkatla sewers gang I believe PJ ran into unprepared).

Small minority of BG2 fans? Perhaps... but that's bordering on tautology. Small minority of people who like classic cRPG's, bought BG2, and thought they would like it? I'm not so sure.

It so happens that four of my colleagues own BG2 -- yet none of them managed to get past the beginning of Chapter 2 in it, let alone finish the game. These are all veteran RPG'ers -- both PnP and computer, not casuals raised on console games. You know, folks who have played through most Might & Magics, Wizardries, Ultimas, Fallouts, and so on. And, would you believe it, there are regulars right here on RPGWatch who never managed to get into BG2 either.

As for me, it took me a dozen tries and thirty hours, and plenty of encouragement from here, to get past the game's gameplay problems so I could actually get down to enjoying it. I did finally get there.

Sure, this is a statistically small sample, anecdotal and all that -- but I'm fairly confident it's not a "very small" (read: insignificant) minority.

The gameplay in BG2 isn't anywhere near as bad as PS:T, though, if that's your reference point.

HUH?!?!

What games have you played?

I have played nearly all of Bioware games, some very much, some not so much.

While I am somewhat fond the of the D&D rules used in say BG1,BG2 and NWN1, I'm not that fond of trying to to guess wthat feat I will take during the next 2-4 levels or so.

The gameplay to me is how the game is played i.e. the mechanics behind the level up and stuff as well as how the combat is done. Bioware is all about telling great stories, great dialogue and creating great characters. They do this, imo, as one of the best, if not the best, in the business - at this time, anyway.

Bioware's strength is the stories, the setting, the characters and the dialogues. The other things are just made so that the story can continue...

It so happens that four of my colleagues own BG2 -- yet none of them managed to get past the beginning of Chapter 2 in it, let alone finish the game. These are all veteran RPG'ers -- both PnP and computer, not casuals raised on console games. You know, folks who have played through most Might & Magics, Wizardries, Ultimas, Fallouts, and so on. And, would you believe it, there are regulars right here on RPGWatch who never managed to get into BG2 either.

As for me, it took me a dozen tries and thirty hours, and plenty of encouragement from here, to get past the game's gameplay problems so I could actually get down to enjoying it. I did finally get there.

I'm aware that some RPGers have seemed to struggle with the gameplay of BG2, but prior experience with CRPGs doesn't seem to be a rule in this case. I know other people, who like yourself, had been avid RPGers for a long time yet had a difficult time getting into BG2 for whatever reason.

Then I also know others like myself who had no D&D knowledge whatsoever, along with a limited resume of CRPG experience at the time, that had no problems getting into the game at all. I played it on normal difficulty without any aid from friends or a strategy guide and loved every minute of it, and the only time I consulted the internet was to locate a few items.

I did play Baldur's Gate 1 first, I can't really say how big an impact that had on my BG2 experience, but it might have been sizable.

Last edited:
I'm aware that some RPGers have seemed to struggle with the gameplay of BG2, but prior experience with CRPGs doesn't seem to be a rule in this case. I know other people, who like yourself, had been avid RPGers for a long time yet had a difficult time getting into BG2 for whatever reason.

Then I also know others like myself who had no D&D knowledge whatsoever, along with a limited resume of CRPG experience at the time, that had no problems getting into the game at all. I played it on normal difficulty without any aid from friends or a strategy guide and loved every minute of it, and the only time I consulted the internet was to locate a few items.

I did play Baldur's Gate 1 first, I can't really say how big an impact that had on my BG2 experience, but it might have been sizable.

More power to you. That doesn't mean that people who experienced it differently are necessarily a "very small minority," though.

More power to you. That doesn't mean that people who experienced it differently are necessarily a "very small minority," though.

I never said anything about people experiencing it differently being any kind of minority. I said I thought you would be in a very small minority in saying the gameplay was dangerously close to "barely tolerable." Games with barely tolerable gameplay don't sell over 2,000,000 copies and receive an average review of 95%.

My personal problem with BG1 & 2 is that too much "quest-solving" is merely limited to nothing but combat.

My personal problem with BG1 & 2 is that too much "quest-solving" is merely limited to nothing but combat.
True, but what awesome combat it was. I keep getting my posterior handed to me as I'm still stuck in NWN/2 style tactics and thinking that if I fail I just have to try again.. no chance - the tactical options and changes you have to make to each situation are amazing.

And then there's the dialogue.. it makes NWN/2 look childish by comparison. I don't know why, but the writing just seems so much better.

Back
Top Bottom