Risen - Gone Gold!

Deep Silver's blog. Click on a couple of flags and you should see several "gold" posts.

Good news. Looking back now, things seemed to turn pretty well for Piranha Bytes. They got a new deal pretty fast after they quit working for JoWood and now are shipping a new game on schedule.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the game doesn't have much bugs. :)

Official statement at WoR:

Update for the X360 version of Risen in the USA
Dear fans,

We've released a press announcement yesterday evening with the information that the Xbox 360 version of Risen for the USA will be delayed. First I would like to add that this is a purely strategic decision since we do have a RTM* certificate from Microsoft USA and Microsoft Europe for Risen, and secondly I would like to point out that this will of course not affect the release of the PC version or any other market outside of the USA. The US market is currently very volatile because of the financial crisis and it certainly hit the retailers to a degree where they have to take decisions which we do not want to support for our product. So we decided to delay the release until 2010 since we believe that time will heal the wounds. I know that this will cause some grief for all those fans who eagerly awaited the game for their console in October, but we would like to do a proper launch without all the interference of the market and I'm sorry for diappointments caused. In the meantime please consider taking a look at the PC version if you can't wait to expirience Risen :)

rgds,
doberlec

doberlec is the DS brand manager for Risen.
All emphases and typos are his.
The missing * means: "RTM = Ready to Manufacture"
He mentioned in his similar German post that DS is in the process of finalising a deal with a big online distributor.

Thanks for passing that on, Gorath. Some people are worrying that the delay for the 360 meant that the 360 was bug-riddled and broken. A similar delay happened to Two Worlds, and we know how that worked out. So maybe this will set their minds at ease somewhat.

Amazing :D

If i wasn't sickened from the G3 experience my hopes would have been even higher - that's also the reason that i am looking forward to DA:O more... but let's hope.

Amazing :D

If i wasn't sickened from the G3 experience my hopes would have been even higher - that's also the reason that i am looking forward to DA:O more… but let's hope.

Well I expect big bugs and some general issues. Thats standard nowadays but hopefully the game behind it will be brilliant and not like G3.

I want a new rig!!! NOW NOW NOW !!!
So that I can start playing Risen.
Need to pee very hard ;)

If people really want the Xbox 360 version in the US they could always import it since it is likely not region locked.

If people really want the Xbox 360 version in the US they could always import it since it is likely not region locked.

That right? I've never tried that. I don't know that I would bother, seeing as I'll be preoccupied with Borderlands 10/20 then Dragon Age 11/3, but it's a good option in case the US publishing deal falls through entirely.

Woo hoo, PB is back, baby! :)

So they did manage to get most people hyped up....
I'm still looking at this game with a skeptical eye on. Gothic III was a big disappointment to me compared to the other two games. I bought the game almost immediately after it came out, which I almost never do, not even since I was a young, young kid. I had to wait two years to play the game and even then it didn't compare to GI or GII. All in all a good game, but I yet have to finish it.

I'm a much more casual gamer than what I think most people on these forums here are, but I still think you guys should hold your breaths a tiny little bitl longer before declaring victory.

GIII looked amazing till people actually tried playing it.

GIII looked amazing till people actually tried playing it.
That is not entirely true. I followed G3's developement closely and there were many warning signs visible. The developers claimed not to have finalised the spell system only a few months prior to the original release date - of course the game was delayed for a year after that. Gameplay videos shortly before the release showed the glaring flaws in the combat system, broken spells, missing perks and many other details. Of course you couldn't see the entire mess, but there were so many signs that something went terribly wrong in the development of the game.
In Germany at least, you could literally feel the developers scrambling to finish the game for the final deadline.
Of course I didn't want to see it. I feverently hoped that all the flaws visible in the most recent videos and screenshots would be fixed, the balancing done and everything we hadn't seen yet would turn out awesome.

As for Gothic, we'll see how it turned out soon. No need to speculate now.

That is not entirely true. I followed G3's developement closely and there were many warning signs visible. The developers claimed not to have finalised the spell system only a few months prior to the original release date - of course the game was delayed for a year after that. Gameplay videos shortly before the release showed the glaring flaws in the combat system, broken spells, missing perks and many other details. Of course you couldn't see the entire mess, but there were so many signs that something went terribly wrong in the development of the game.
In Germany at least, you could literally feel the developers scrambling to finish the game for the final deadline.
Of course I didn't want to see it. I feverently hoped that all the flaws visible in the most recent videos and screenshots would be fixed, the balancing done and everything we hadn't seen yet would turn out awesome.

As for Gothic, we'll see how it turned out soon. No need to speculate now.

I think most people were hyped still to the extent of buying a very flawed game when it cameo out with no regard to your above statement.

Your right to be cautious if that's how you feel, I have/do certainly feel that way before about some games. There is and was such a shortage of well done RPGs and PB is one of the few that can Repeatedly put out quality. It's clear to me they had a big and bold vision for G3, but the former (unnameable) publisher got in the way with greed, poor management and I hope they NEVER recover in the industry for stealing PBs IP.

I support PB, NOT becasue they are perfect but becasue I know they can do amazing work, if they are allow to finish a game. Or their IP isn't STOLEN from them by a greedy, incompetent and pathetic publisher. PB are some of the hardest and most talented developers in the industry and I hope they are successful. :)

Back
Top Bottom