Understanding China, our new world leader

China also has a serious population aging issue, far worse than the US or Europe due to the one child policy. Add that with an unnatural imbalance of gender (due to the same mostly) and you have a country that is in serious danger of collapsing (or starting a major war) in the not too far future.

Read earlier in my post and you'd see I have adressed this problem.

The one thing I didn't adress is the biggest problem which is the environmnet.. while it probably won't prevent their GDP growth.

It will cause them serious problems in a not too distance future….. the air in a lot of chinese city is so bad people die much earlier because of that, and it is hard for foriegners to even get by there.

No worries. Looks like you're right on the trend, but off on the magnitude. A few things in there that made me happy:
On the other side of the trade coin, imported food is one of the
fastest-growing categories in many supermarkets. The biggest factor behind
it is that more and more American shoppers want crops and food they can't
get —- or can't get in sufficient volume —- from U.S. producers.
According to the USDA, 78% of the fish and shellfish consumed in the U.S.
are imported, up ten percentage points from 2000.
Every once in a while, your favorite blind rightie squirrel finds a nut… ;)

First post here on RPGWatch. Love RPGs and live in China.

There have been many positive ideas thrown around in this thread, but as someone close enough to deal with the Chinese government daily in my work, I feel like there is an important trend in China that many people around the world miss.

As China grows, both in maturity as a modern nation and in terms of GDP, the continually reform their systems of governance and the policies under them to best ensure that the Chinese people can feel the benefit of these increases. There is one important source that China draws these reform policies from: the United States. Monthly, China becomes more and more of a mirror of American policies and ideas. The current plans for regulation and consumer litigation are built around slowly adapting the American structure. The interest in a controllable representative government that is party limited is built on looking at what works well in the United States.

Of course, China will always retain "Chinese characteristics" for better and for worse, but their development is very Yankee-centric. I imagine Peter Hessler could roll out a cash cow book on "Chinese Exceptionalism" with ease.

My message: if you want to understand your new world leader, be more familiar with the one you have now.

Today in news I heard that EU is discussing with China whether they could help EU in the current econonic crisis. Overall it looks that China is interested to help but they dont want to buy bank loans but german industry and infrastructure.

And I am sure hard pressed Germans will be willing to sell! :lol:

First post here on RPGWatch. Love RPGs and live in China.

There have been many positive ideas thrown around in this thread, but as someone close enough to deal with the Chinese government daily in my work, I feel like there is an important trend in China that many people around the world miss.

As China grows, both in maturity as a modern nation and in terms of GDP, the continually reform their systems of governance and the policies under them to best ensure that the Chinese people can feel the benefit of these increases. There is one important source that China draws these reform policies from: the United States. Monthly, China becomes more and more of a mirror of American policies and ideas. The current plans for regulation and consumer litigation are built around slowly adapting the American structure. The interest in a controllable representative government that is party limited is built on looking at what works well in the United States.

Of course, China will always retain "Chinese characteristics" for better and for worse, but their development is very Yankee-centric. I imagine Peter Hessler could roll out a cash cow book on "Chinese Exceptionalism" with ease.

My message: if you want to understand your new world leader, be more familiar with the one you have now.

Interesting information.

Welcome, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom