The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Now that was a really great version of and old classic.

In a similar vein, a very different cover of When the Levee breaks by John Campbell. The most famous version of this song is perhaps the one by Led Zeppelin, although they didn't write the song.

Another very different cover version, this one of U2's Bullet the Blue Sky, performed by Sepultura.

pibbur who probably isn't a very good singer, definitely not pretty, but somewhat unsure about his legs.

I was going to post the following newsbit from Wikipedia in the TYDNTK (things you don't…) thread:

"Taylor Brook won the Lee Ettelson Composer's Award with a piece for violin accompanied only by a drone that is 14 cents flat of F♯"

But then I thought I should look it up on Youtube, and here it is: Vocalise, composed by Taylor Brook. And I liked it. It's something with the monotony of the drone versus the dynamics of the violin player. I'll definitely look for more compositions from this one.

A drone is "a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a note or chord is continuously sounded throughout most or all of a piece". There is actually a subgenre of Heavy Metal, Drone Metal, characterizded by loooong pieces with sloooowly changing chords.

One of the leading drone metal bands is Sunn O))) (yepp, that's how it's spelled). Here's something from a concert in Berlin 2006.. And here is another piece, (secretely known as) Agartha from their 2009 album "Monoliths & Dimensions". For an interesting effect you might want to play both pieces simultanelously.

Well. I'm not at all into Drone Metal, I gave you two Sunn O))) pieces just to … eh ….. But a (not as dominating) drone combined with other things, like the Taylor Brook piece, that I can relate to.

pibbur who does listen to classical music, as long as it's not older than 112 years or so. And who has spent the evening watching the Pulse DVD by Pink Floyd with a friend.

Last edited:
I do ^^.

@Pibbur. I've seen Sunn O))) live and it was amazing. Pure amplifier worship at its finest. The experience was highly meditative and mind-opening; all without the use of any illicit substances. ;)

Unfortunately, I'd purchased tickets to see them again in October (with Pelican, another band I really like…) but the gig was cancelled when it was revealed that the promoter had put the tickets up for sale without the band's permission. Hopefully they'll find another promoter though and make it to Australian shores once more!

On the subject of drone - I'm actually going to see Earth (USA) tonight at the Corner hotel in Richmond, Melbourne. Any fellow RPG freaks going? :)

A taste for the uninitiated from the wonderful, splendidly western tinged "HEX or Printing in the Infernal Method" album.

Raiford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5byBT4SEA
Tethered to the Polestar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_M1Mp1I-VY&feature=relmfu

I've been reading through the "Little Talks" lyrics, and I found this song very sad, despite the very good tune.

After many a delay, I received my Conan the Barbarian soundtrack (extended version) this week. It's just so powerful! Makes me want to pop in the film DVD.

Edit : Now I've finally found it out :

Yesterday I had been listening to a song from the radio.

I have found out that it was "Stardust" by Lena - the Lenafrom the "Eurovision Song Contest".

I found the song just great.

If she proceeds like that, then she'll become a great singer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_(Lena_Meyer-Landrut_song)

Last edited:
After many a delay, I received my Conan the Barbarian soundtrack (extended version) this week. It's just so powerful! Makes me want to pop in the film DVD.

Absolutely one of the best movie soundtracks ever recorded imo. I especially like "Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom" and "The Orgy".

Back
Top Bottom