Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trent Oster Interview @ True PC Gaming

aries100

SasqWatch
True PC Gaming has talked to Trent Oster from Beamdog, the company behind the Enhanced Edition of this game. They talk about the price point, the reasons behind giving Baldur's Gate the "Enhanced Edition" treatment, as well as questions about the new NPCs, and much much more.
A quote on the new NPCs:
Walk us through the development process of creating the new characters and stories in Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition.
We took a look at the existing game, what we were going to be adding, and started to see what was missing. There were classes and kits that were never used for party members, and we wanted to fill those gaps and tell and interesting story while doing so. Using Baldur’s Gate 2 NPCs as our guide, we started to explore what interesting stories these new NPCs could tell. In the case of Dorn, we wanted a character that would be unapologetically evil, without any remorse for his actions. His tale is quite different from most NPC villains; most of the evil characters have some redeeming feature, or they were forced into their path. Dorn is simply a bad man who knows full well the depths of his evil and does not regret it.
More information.

I find it strange how the say the had trouble getting BG to run on newer systems, I still have my disks from 98, the have tons of scratches and yet I never had any trouble installing them on any windows system.

I find it strange how the say the had trouble getting BG to run on newer systems, I still have my disks from 98, the have tons of scratches and yet I never had any trouble installing them on any windows system.

They are probably saying that because saying Baulder gate installs on current hardware just fine and there are several easily installable mods that will do just about the same thing we are doing wouldn't be very good PR.

Having said that I'm off to preorder and am pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Never had trouble installing, or running... Though I did get some graphical artifacts (black boxes) around sprites which I think was fixed running it in OpenGL.

But playing multiplayer with the old directplay stuff was tricky even after forwarding your ports.

But this was easily soved using Gameranger to play multiplayer, which sets it all up for you. There's always BG2 games going on on Gameranger but version mismatch is very common.

just found out about BG Tutu which seems to be a free project which enhances BG1 alot. check it out. I still jumped in and bought BG:EE anyway for my own nefarious reasons.

BG does produce problems on some systems, especially with mods. Anyways, I guess the only real interesting part about the EE is that it brings a non-casual game to tablet platforms. Not much competition there yet.

I still jumped in and bought BG:EE anyway for my own nefarious reasons.

Bought BG:EE? Is that like a pre-purchase? Because I did not think anyone could do that yet…

Incidentally, I hope the new Enhanced Edition doesn't also scale the UI and font to miniscule sizes like some games do, so that people playing on TV sets will be heaving a hard time… I know, probably not the perfect game to play on such a setup, but it's the way I roll now. And the original plays pretty well that way with its low resolutions.

I have no problem loading the interview with the link in the OP.

Back
Top Bottom