RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2011: Most Promising RPG in 2012

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Interested to know what collection of games you and we are looking forward to most in 2012? Then find out how you and we voted. And the following is from the editors number one.
Combat mechanics will see progress too: magic spells and ranged weapons are out, voodoo, muskets and dirty tricks are in. You can, for example, throw a parrot at an opponent or use voodoo magic to make one enemy attack another.
Other novelties: the first island will be relatively small, to make things easier for new players - after that the game opens up more and more. Storytelling will be more cinematic, companions will used more often.
More information.

Checks.... yes really :)

Risen 2... really? The first Risen was... nice... but nothing more. If all acts would have been as good as the first one, it would have made a good game, but for me, it became very, very boring after the first act.

I am quite sure that Risen 2 will try to solve that problem. It will have several islands and you can travel between them. You'll meet new people and receive new quests every time you arrive at a new island.

I really liked Risen, didn't even mind the much derided dungeon-run in the last chapter much... So yes, for me the sequel is definitely the most promising game on that list, although I have some misgivings - mainly because i think the pirate theme deviates too much from the tone and premis set by the first game. I'll try to forget that and just enjoy Risen 2 for what it is, hopefully.

How on earth did ME 3 get in that list, lol. The first two were barely rpg's at all, and with mutliplayer being part of the focus in the newest one, I sort of expect it to be even less of an rpg. To be clear, I'm not criticizing that it made the list, I'm questioning how it even got on the ballot!

I have high hopes for Risen 2, I know Avernum will rock, and I'm praying that, even though Reckoning looks cartoony, it could still have decent quests and a good story. There, I ended my rant with a positive! =)

-Carn

I really liked Risen, didn't even mind the much derided dungeon-run in the last chapter much... So yes, for me the sequel is definitely the most promising game on that list, although I have some misgivings - mainly because i think the pirate theme deviates too much from the tone and premis set by the first game. I'll try to forget that and just enjoy Risen 2 for what it is, hopefully.
Have no fear, because they still have Gothic and we will get our medieval RPG some day.
Since the good folk at PB already have a well established medieval IP (Gothic) on their hands (or they'll get it soon), it'd be wise to change Risen into something a little different, because Risen 1 was practically a Gothic game and having two IPs with exactly the same theme would be absurd. Now they have two IPs with two different themes.

3rd place Diablo III (for gamers). o_O

Not really surprised with Risen in #1, lots of PB fans over here and, you know, Pirates!

I don't remember what I voted for though. :/

Again, my votes are identical to the list - Risen 2 followed by ME3. It's a very good spring for RPGs, so good I've already started planning my gaming schedule in order to get through it. I can't even remember the last time I had to plan my entire gaming schedule months in advance.

Schedule:
- February 13th (roughly) - March 6th: Mass Effect 1 and 2 replay
- March 6th - April 8th (roughly): Primarily Mass Effect 3
- April 9th - End of April: Risen replay, though I might add some TOR or ME here if I have enough time
- May: Risen 2

And then I'll play KoA in June or so I suppose, but I'll know more as we get near June.

Whew, it's going to be intense.

I'm not surprised Risen 2 was #1 for both the editors and the visitors, but it is surprising that ME 3 is #2. I thought from the majority of posts about ME3 that it had no chance with the visitors.

I just hope they don't screw up the ending again. God that was awful. I mean scream at the screen and throw the disc out of the window awful. The rest was good if you like light RPG mixed in with your shooters, which I do :)

Sorry, but not including Arkane Studios' Dishonored as a choice for this category nullifies it in my book.
We discussed it being on the list, but from wat I saw at Gamescom and from what we read up to now, it being RPGish looks far fetched.

Oh really, and ME is right on the money then
Dishonored by design is the closest thing to an RPG experience from your list, now i have no clue what will come out of it, but surely can't be as bad as you pictured it.
Remember AP? this should be x3 that

Im not surprised. 2012 is just a weak year, especially if you compare it to 2011. Hopefully their will be some gems that come out of nowhere and surprise us.

Risen 2 is by far my most anticipated, even considering the concerning news we are hearing about some unwanted simplifications (no swimming, no jump/climb unless there's a interactive hot spot, a Fable-like free camera in combat, etc).

Don't remember how I voted, but I sure as hell didn't vote for Mass Effect 3.

Don't remember what was on the list of choices either, but if you asked me today, I'd say Dead State and Age of Decadence, assuming either of those will actually be released this year. :p

I also bought into the alpha of Xenonauts, which I enjoy very much…until it crashes. Hope to get a stable version this year. :p

More recently, Drox Operative has been sounding interesting to me. I'll be getting X: Rebirth and maybe even Dishonored, just because the setting seems interesting and original. I'm big on setting.

Edit: Oh, and I know I voted for Risen 2. I'll be getting that. I liked Risen.

The Risen 2 folks just announced a pre-order DLC! Looks like some heads are gonna explode today.

Back
Top Bottom