Drakensang A few changes I'd like to see

CarcusRex

Watchdog
- Can't we get 3D engines where the camera doesn't get bumped, blinded, moved around by and stuck by arches, beams, tree branches, doorways, foliage etc... Again, but not quite as bad as NWN2, I have to fight with the camera. This is why I so much prefer isometric 2d. I get dizzy from all the camera motion.

- "Quick Save Game Saved" banner lasts too long on screen and gets in the way of my view (talk about an impatient bastard, huh? LOL) Very small niggle.

- Animation of player picking plants or gutting animals takes too long. Lets just click and move on with the test results please. (If you're beginning to think me an impatient sort.... well, you are right.)

- Party members seem to want to move to certain positions during combat, often times putting themselves in the worst place - and with their backs to multible enemies. While there is plenty of tactical options, there doesn't seem to be any
control for tactical "placement" during battles; most every time I order them to a position to attack from, they move elsewere... and a lot of the time it's the weak, low con characters, whom I want to remain on the flanks, who seem to charge right into the middle of a swarm of badies. This may be my biggest niggle. (and yes, this is in defensive mode, not aggressive)

- The console takes up a huge portion of the main screen and does not alow for re-sizing... at least I don't think. I'd like to leave it on permenantly, but it's just too big.

That's about it so far. Very minor stuff... except maybe for the combat positioning. Lest you may think I'm ranting and raving with distaste for this game, let me set you straight: this is a wonderful gem of a RPG. It's well made, and it scratches your RPGing itch quite well. I'm really enjoying it. It kind of flew in under my radar... at first the demo struck me as a bit slow and maybe even a little juvinile. It had the feel of the usual, dismal Action RPG. But as I progressed, I found the game to actually be a small treasure, of pure and true RPG pedigree. It's really the farthest thing from hack n slash. I'm glad I bought the full game.

- Animation of player picking plants or gutting animals takes too long. Lets just click and move on with the test results please. (If you're beginning to think me an impatient sort.... well, you are right.)

I think the animations can be interrupted somehow without changing the result.

The stuff you posted is the reason why I'm not going to give it a 5 in our review. You can easily list two pages of improvements to squeeze out a bit more. Plus it has no innovation at all.

And still it's a damn good game.

Kind of the attitude I take. With all the shite that I've seen, over the past decade, pushed out with the label RPG, innovation is far beyond my wildest expectations. I'm just happy to play a game that doesn't have me swearing every 30 seconds.

I'm just happy to play a game that doesn't have me swearing every 30 seconds.

DraSa is certainly no game to make you swear every 30 seconds.
Eurogamer probably didn't mean it as a compliment, but in some way really DraSa is the Volvo of the RPG genre. It delivers reliable quality in a competent way.

- Can't we get 3D engines where the camera doesn't get bumped, blinded, moved around by and stuck by arches, beams, tree branches, doorways, foliage etc...

I actually loved the way the line of sight problem was addressed. If your party is in front of a tree and the camera is behind it, you see your characters like in a picture framed by leaves. Nifty!

Sacred does this too but for DraSa - for example - in dungeons I find the camera pushed below the ceiling or if you stand too close to a house. It's nice when it works but it isn't always reliable.

All valid complaints - I fully agree.

One more thing I'd like (and it's not a fault they didn't include it) is a button to switch pause-each-round on and off. For trash mobs, I don't want to pause much but for key battles, I want to micromanage the rounds.

I think the animations can be interrupted somehow without changing the result.

The stuff you posted is the reason why I'm not going to give it a 5 in our review. You can easily list two pages of improvements to squeeze out a bit more. Plus it has no innovation at all.

And still it's a damn good game.

Yes, the looting animations can be interupted... but I'm not sure about the plant and animal foraging... I'll have to check that.

I will certainly not argue with you about lack of innovation. But then again, all things are relative: for a person who's only familiar with D&D rules, this game reveals itself like a whole new breath of fresh air... at least as far as character advancement.

The biggest problem I have with the game that I'd like to see changed in the expansion (I hope there's one) is the absence of a detached camera, so I can move it wherever I want in the battlefield. In addition to this, make it so the view moves there when I click somewhere in the map. In both cases, I could then click on the ground there and let the pathfinding do its magic.

I really like the camera. Of course I'm constantly holding right click to adjust it (is there a true mouselook? that would be better) and alternating between clicking where to go and moving with WASD. But I don't mind.

My biggest complaint is repetitive commentary by the NPCs. A fairly well acted line repeated over and over until you not only talk to the person, but do what they want, really takes away from the immersion. Doesn't happen that often, but stupidly annoying when it does.

Oh and the "running." It should be called "slow motion light jog."

Like the OP, pretty minor complaints over all. These days I applaud the general lack of stupid design decisions.

Love the pace of the game overall. It has an adventure game feel with a true RPG system.

Edit: Oh and one more positive: I like the large interface elements on high resolutions. Not so big as to look like an XBox port, but doesn't require microscopic precision like NWN2 at 1920x1200 or 2560x1600. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

in the expansion (I hope there's one)

As far as I understood this, there won't be an expansion, but a whole new game: Drakensang 2, a Prequel.

Here in Germany, Drakensang Gold is about to be published (soon), with the patches included and a few bonus things.

One more thing I'd like (and it's not a fault they didn't include it) is a button to switch pause-each-round on and off. For trash mobs, I don't want to pause much but for key battles, I want to micromanage the rounds.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the 'Pause' button (on the keyboard) cycles through the pause modes.

My biggest niggle is definitely how long I spend stooping over gathering up crap from fallen animals and foraging plants ...

My biggest niggle is definitely how long I spend stooping over gathering up crap from fallen animals and foraging plants ...

I do that too, but you really don't need to. I think everything I've found so far from animals (that's useful) can be purchased from merchants (and not like I craft anything anyway). Still, I just can't make myself leave those corpses behind :)

Oh, and I forgot one thing I want changed... FREAKING BARRELS! ARGH I HATE THEM!
Sorry, I'm ok now, just had to say it.

Why don't you ignore the barrels?

It is an option I guess. But since there is an advantage to breaking them, I did not want to take the risk not to when I played the game. It is not that the game forces you to break barrels. But it encourages you to. The barrels would be okay if Drakensang would have just made them a container you open istead of breaking. Not very immersive.

Anyway. I think I read that in the next game, there will be at least fewer barrels.

I do that too, but you really don't need to. I think everything I've found so far from animals (that's useful) can be purchased from merchants (and not like I craft anything anyway). Still, I just can't make myself leave those corpses behind :)

I am crafting stuff, trying to use all of the systems possible - making bows and potions and on and on.

Why don't you ignore the barrels?
but, but ... they have STUFF in them ...

- Can't we get 3D engines where the camera doesn't get bumped, blinded, moved around by and stuck by arches, beams, tree branches, doorways, foliage etc... Again, but not quite as bad as NWN2, I have to fight with the camera. This is why I so much prefer isometric 2d. I get dizzy from all the camera motion.
I never understood what people dislike in NWN2 cam ok I need use the key max zoom out other than that Drakensang is much more complicated for a less good result.

That said for people that get dizzy because of camera motion... It's right that some iso 2d or 3D using a same point of view than iso, plus a good transparency
management can achieve good results. Myself I like using the cam to look at each corner and search any detail.

For a quick try of the demo, my other negative feeling are the fights, but I need to see much more before to have a fair feeling.

but, but ... they have STUFF in them ...

LOL, right ... :D

I always had a very similar feeling ... ;)

It's a bit like collecting in Blizzard Action-RPGs : You just might find something useful ... :D

Back
Top Bottom