Today is ...

... yeah, yeah...

1868: *in a predictably high-pitched voice* Helium was discovered by some frenchman named Pierre Jules C'esar Janssen.

1948: More cricket news!!! Yay!! Australia completed a 4-0 Ashes series. I'm sure this makes sense to someone. But not to me. I prefer the finnish wife-throwing sport!

1991: Nirvana films the video for "Smells like teen spirit". This version is a bit younger, and I bet you've all seen it before. So what?

1969: Edward Norton was born. We don't talk about that!

Don't worry, next time you visit Oz, I'll give you a complete run down on all things Cricket!! :)

… ????!?!

1858: CD (among friends) published his theory of evolution
1882: PT (among friends) published his 1812 Overture in Moscow
1953: CCCP published it's first Hydrogen bomb.
1970: Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit fame was published.

1926: Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai was established
1938: Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam. Since I don't know what this means, I can only assume it has something to do with cricket.
1977: V'ger 2 was launched by it's creator, NASA.

Sorry, but Grand Slams only occur in Baseball and Bridge. It's definitely not cricket!! :)

Cricket, baseball, bridge, whatever - it's all about hitting tiny balls with a bat - with the possible exception of bridge, no difference really.

1770: James Cooke claims eastern Australia for the UK, naming it "New South Wales". What a moron - It should of course have been called "New Eastern Wales". Hmm, perhaps I should hereafter call all of that little island down south "New Wales". Fits with their popular song: "Walesing Mathilda".

1772: King Gustav III completes an anemic (Yes. Wikipedia refers to it as bloodless) coup d'etat in Sweden. Yay? Anyhow, this concludes the period of special attention to Sweden in this thread. *wonders which country to atta… eh … focus on next*

1878: The American Bar Association was founded. Cheers!

BTW: I have actually played some (low-scale) cricket. A very anglophile cousin of mine (maybe because his mother was English) introduced me to it. I know for instance that "Wicket" sometimes is more than the name of an Ewok. Don't remember much more than that, I'm afraid. We didn't see any ducks during the ordeal.

I suspect only Americans would need to have a formall association to be allowed to go out drinking!! :) Bottoms Up as they say in England,

… a sad day(?). See below.

1936: The Aussie Antarctic Territory is created. Probably to make space for the polar kangaroo

1967: A group of hippies disrupts trading at the New York Exchange by throwing dollar bills from the gallery. There IS probably a lesson to be learned here, but I don't know what.

2006: The International Astronomical Union decides that Pluto is no longer a planet. MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA! YOU KILLED MY PLANET!! PREPARE TO DIE!!!

1995: Win 95 is released. Which reminds me of the following joke (you're free to replace the OS):

A master was explaining the nature of Tao to one of his novices. "The Tao is embodied in all software -- regardless of how insignificant," said the master.
"Is Tao in a hand-held calculator?" asked the novice.
"It is," came the reply.
"Is the Tao in a video game?" continued the novice.
"It is even in a video game," said the master.
"And is the Tao in the DOS for a personal computer?"
The master coughed and shifted his position slightly. "The lesson is over for today," he said.

... a day for saying Ni!

1346: 100 years war showed supremacy of English Longbows over French crossbows (and armoured knights). So now we no longer need to wonder about what is the best ranged attack weapon for our ranger characters.

1883: Final stage of the Mount Doom eruption. Or was it Red Mountain? Olympus Mons? Eyjafjallajökull? Some volcano entered the finals stage of eruption.

Some notable arrivals
1944: Charles de Gaulle enters Paris
1978: John Paul Jone.. sorry, John Paul number 1 enters papacy.
1748: Lutherans enters Philadelphia
1980: Macauly Culkin enters the world.

Hmmmm.....on balance, not a very good day at all, was it!! :)

… dedicated to only good things

2003: Mars was closest to earth in 60000 years. And we were not invaded! Yay!

Further …

….

Eh

Did I mention that in 2003 Mars was closest to earth in 60000 years? And we were not invaded?

I'm not at liberty to say. Just a hint: I'm (nearly) always dressed in black.

That's why he enjoys GOTHic so much!! :)

… is pibbur day, the day of the pibburs!!!

Amon other things:

1850: The Wagner opera Lohengrin was performed for the first time. A brand of (tasty) chockolate is named after that.

1640: Second Bishop's war. The English King (Charles, ver. 1) was Pawned by a few scottish Knights and forced to return to his Castles where (probably) his Queen was wating for him.

1845: First issue of Scientific American is published.
1898: "Brad's drink" changes name to "Pepsi-Cola".

1963: Martin Luther King delivered his "I have a dream" speech.
1981: National CDCl announce a unexpected high incidence of until then rare disesaes among gay men: pneumonia caused by the fungus "Pneumocystis carinii" and the cancer "Kaposi's sarcoma". I had just started working as a physician at the time, and I remember we were wondering what was going on. Now we know: AIDS.

"One pibbur to rule'em all, one pibbur to find'em…."

Last edited:
And look at how that usually ends up!! :)

I've got my eye on you!!!

Some births today:
1632: John Locke, the conscious thinking thing
1831: Electromagnetic Induction, the reason we are here
1842: Alfred Shaw, the cricket player
1857: Sandford Schultz, the cricket player
1869: Mount Washington Cog Railway, the first ever track railway
1885: Reitwagen, the motorcycle. Midwife: Gottlieb Daimler
1910: Chōsen, the name of the country-formerly-and-afterwards-known-as-Korea.
1913: Len Butterfield, the cricket player
1920: Charlie Parker, the musician
1923: Hiralal Gaekwad, the cricket player
1934: John Guy, the cricket player
1936: John McCain, the president wannabe
1938: Elliot Gould, the swamp dweller.
1958: Michael Jackson, the singer
1959: Stephen Wolfram, the creator of Mathematica
1980: Mohammad Sheikh, the cricket player
1982: Meitnerium, the elemement with atom number 109

How do you know we were not invaded!

We were. There are a few Marsian meteorids on Earth.

No-one knows why they are here, but everyone is pretty certain they're from Mars, because of the geological structure of these meteorites.

And, by the way, some scientists have the sispicion that our lifes might be from Outer Space ... because there were aminoacids found on a (very few) meteorites ...

Back
Top Bottom