Unsung Story - Interview Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamezone has the first interview for Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians, and calls it the the tactical RPG you’ve been waiting for.

What exactly is Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians?

Joel – It is a story driven tactics RPG, in the classic turn based style of the genre, that brings new game play elements to this widely loved style of game.

Where did the idea for Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians stem from? How long have you had a project like this in mind?

Joel – The original concept came from Yasumi Matsuno, and we have been discussing this idea with him for a little over a year now. We have always wanted to make RPGs, and are big fans of tactics RPGs, so having the chance to work with the master is a chance of a lifetime.

What games inspired you for this project?

Joel – All of the greats: Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and some of my personal favorites like Jeanne d’Arc and some of the Valkyria Chronicles games.
Next US Gamer had the chance to interview Yasumi Matsuno.

USgamer: You said this is a world. It seems like you’re a big fan of world-building, with things like the Ogre series and the Ivalice series. Can you talk more about your vision for this and how you plan to explore the entirety of this world?

Yasumi Matsuno: The setting of the Unsung world will be very deep and detailed, as you’ve already experienced in some of the other worlds I’ve created. In particular, the card game is aimed at very hardcore gamers, so we want that to be very detailed. More completely, the game world will be composed of nine small countries, each competing to be the hegemon. Those nine countries will be very complex. Certain races will live in certain countries, but other divisions will also come into play – it’s like the Balkans. It’s going to be very complicated.

USgamer: That seems to be something you’ve gone to before. Tactics Ogre had a connection to history there as well.

Matsuno: You know us very well. [chuckles] It’s not just going to be about battles, but there will be very strategic implications in the world map. This game won’t be one big story you have to follow as a main character. You can start with any country, as the head of the country, and you can compete with the others, or you can try a different country. The game systems become very important, because the story may not be as strong or big a part of the game. Once you play one country, you have a certain story to follow. With the other countries, they’ll have their own stories to follow. It’s going to be a multi-story type of presentation.
More information.

If Playdek was smart they would allow Matsuno do all the interviews.
interview.gif

He seems to know more than the other developers, and I trust what he says over someone I never heard of. Here's hoping the game at least meets it's basic goal.

If Playdek was smart they'd add some more visuals to the Kickstarter site. This makes the Kickstarter of Deathfire look like an information boom. I haven't supported this game, even though I' m interested, because all I've seen now is pretty theoretical. It doesn't sound like they have anything more than a rough idea. I haven't played Tactics:Ogre or Final Fantasy:tactics, so I need to see more to know if this game will appeal to me.

Unsung Story…I'm not impressed sadly. In other WAY BETTER news, Tactics Ogre for PSP is on sale for only $5 at Walmart! Buy it! Even if you don't have a PSP! The game is so good that even holding the box will bring enjoyment!

Tactics Ogre was phenomenal. The only minor gripe I have about that game was that it took so much time to train your army after every battle.

It went like this. Fight a battle. One guy levels up in the process. The rest of your army doesn't. So, to be strong enough to fight the next fight, you had to level up your entire army in a training session by taking turns killing the guy who leveled up. Then the next member would kill the guy who killed the first guy, and so on, until the whole group leveled up and was ready for the next fight. Even as a kid when I had way more patience for that sort of thing it bothered me. I like the leveling up mechanics but leave the training sessions out of it.

Tactics Ogre was phenomenal. The only minor gripe I have about that game was that it took so much time to train your army after every battle.

It went like this. Fight a battle. One guy levels up in the process. The rest of your army doesn't. … Even as a kid when I had way more patience for that sort of thing it bothered me. I like the leveling up mechanics but leave the training sessions out of it.

Good news! The PSP version totally changed leveling up. Your entire party gains equal XP and levels up together. Hence, you can actually fight as a group and not worry about some units not getting XP. And training battles are completely gone. And if a unit dies, you can bequeath their abilities to a new unit if you like.

There are also tons of other MASSIVE improvements to the PSP version. If you only played the original PS1 version ages ago, Tactics Ogre on PSP is worth replaying. They brought together all the original lead developers for the PSP remake/remaster and it really shows.

Good news! The PSP version totally changed leveling up. Your entire party gains equal XP and levels up together. Hence, you can actually fight as a group and not worry about some units not getting XP. And training battles are completely gone. And if a unit dies, you can bequeath their abilities to a new unit if you like.

There are also tons of other MASSIVE improvements to the PSP version. If you only played the original PS1 version ages ago, Tactics Ogre on PSP is worth replaying. They brought together all the original lead developers for the PSP remake/remaster and it really shows.

Hey, thanks for the info! If I ever get a hold of a PSP, I will certainly pick up Tactics Ogre for it.

Even with the training issue, I loved the game as a kid. It had an awesome story of political intrigue, very appealing graphics, wonderful characters, the works. Definitely one of my all-time favorite games.

Back
Top Bottom