What games are you playing now?

I can't believe you got bored in Gothic games, but well…
The problem with Watch Dogs is repetitive content. It's annoying. But hey, aren't we both the minority? I hate grinding and repetitiveness, grinding and "radiant" crap are something I can't stand. :)

I didn't play alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon nor any other unfinished version of Original Sin.
Sorry but IMO an unfinished version doesn't mean that the full game will suck.

Anyway, DA:I should be out about the same time Risen 3 is, and soon after Sims 4 will get released.
If Deep Silver decides not to go DLC route, I'll skip DA:I and play R3 till Sims4. Y'know, I'm not really hyped about DA:I. Unless it also has no DLC, then it'd be instabuy for me.
With Sims everyone knows it's actually a separate genre called DLC:The Game just as Train Simulator. But putting RPG into DLC:The Game genre is a disgrace.

I can't believe you got bored in Gothic games, but well…
My boredom was referring to Watch Dogs not Gothic.
The problem with Watch Dogs is repetitive content. It's annoying. But hey, aren't we both the minority? I hate grinding and repetitiveness, grinding and "radiant" crap are something I can't stand. :)
I dunno..I don't mind repetitiveness or grinding so long as the combat itself is enjoyable or at least fluid. When you have to constantly fight with your PC to get shit to work right..that's when I start hating the grind and the game sometimes too. Gothic's and Witcher's combat systems did this to me.
I didn't play alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon nor any other unfinished version of Original Sin. Sorry but IMO an unfinished version doesn't mean that the full game will suck.
I agree that most things can't be determined by an unfinished game. But, core functionality (as in..the way the game plays..point click, fps, or whatever) can generally be figured out from at least beta onward. I didn't like the core of the game so I doubt I'll like the finished product. I'll most likely still try it though anyway.
Anyway, DA:I should be out about the same time Risen 3 is, and soon after Sims 4 will get released.
If Deep Silver decides not to go DLC route, I'll skip DA:I and play R3 till Sims4. Y'know, I'm not really hyped about DA:I. Unless it also has no DLC, then it'd be instabuy for me.
With Sims everyone knows it's actually a separate genre called DLC:The Game just as Train Simulator. But putting RPG into DLC:The Game genre is a disgrace.
I don't mind DLCs. But, I'm also used to the MMO subscription model (I played MMOs solo..go figure)..so a flat fee periodically for content is a godsend compared to being forced to pay every month. I just wait for sales that always inevitably come up.

I was thinking of playing the first Witcher game next, but now I'm having some second thoughts.

I hope that's not because of a few opinions in this thread. The Witcher is considered a classic by many. It has its flaws, but I'd almost put it on the same level as Gothic in some aspects. Specifically in terms of atmosphere and the soundtrack.

I hope that's not because of a few opinions in this thread. The Witcher is considered a classic by many. It has its flaws, but I'd almost put it on the same level as Gothic in some aspects. Specifically in terms of atmosphere and the soundtrack.

Hmm. The negative thoughts in this thread did dissuade me to play it, but if you put it near the level of Gothic, I certainly will give it a shot. I thought the atmosphere and soundtrack in Gothic were excellent, by the way.

Fluent, I wouldn't hold it against you if you skipped 1 and played the much more engaging Witcher 2 first.

I've been curious about Witcher 2 because I'm actually able to play it on ultra settings. I'm interested to see what it looks like as I've heard some good things. Really have no clue about the gameplay itself other than there are some difficult encounters.

Well that's good to know. I'm sure he feels much better knowing he wouldn't incur your wrath for making such a poor decision. ;)

I think I'm going to stick to my plan of playing these classic games in the order of their release. Jumping to Witcher 2 or Gothic 3 first is not a good idea for me. I like to know the back story and see how the games progressed over time. So I think I will play Witcher 1 first and eventually Witcher 2 later on.

Definitely give The Witcher a shot. Game has many good elements, and I'd say it's all down to personal preferences whether you can deal with its flaws or not.

The reason I'm sticking with it, so far, is because I want the same thing as you - a cohesive experience, and I want my choices carried over.

The negative opinions should have served to temper your expectations, which can be a good thing :)

I was thinking of playing the first Witcher game next, but now I'm having some second thoughts.

I would say play it but I am a huge fan of the game. Just finished it 10 minutes ago again. First time I played completely on the side of the scoia'tael which I loved and thought the story played out better. Also made sure I did some of the quest different than before.

Installing W2 now which should take me over until something new comes …Though was hoping Xulima would be out by now :(

Definitely give The Witcher a shot. Game has many good elements, and I'd say it's all down to personal preferences whether you can deal with its flaws or not.

The reason I'm sticking with it, so far..

You just wait, D. If you dont change your opinion of the game by the end, I'll eat my hat.

Same here. After 2 chapters in rural areas it's refreshing to be out again. :)

:S I thought it was widely accepted that the Vizima chapters were the strongest parts of TW1. If anything Ch4 felt like an unrelated (yet nicely executed) detour.

What? Where? Ah... In the mirror... :D

Just arrived in Chapter 5….

Chapter 4 has been the best chapter by far - and the only one I've more or less thoroughly enjoyed. For some reason, I also really liked the prologue - but Chapters 1, 2 and 3 were dreadfully dull most of the time. Chapter 2 being the worst and it almost killed my interest entirely.

I loved the Cthulhu/Lovecraft references and atmosphere in 4, though - and I felt it was a much more focused story without a ton of trivial fetchy crap, though it still had some of it.

I'm slowly starting to see the appeal, even if I still think it's extremely flawed and excessively overrated. I expected much more from the writing, especially - which is mostly pretty quaint and some of it is downright juvenile. Of course, the questionable translations and subpar voice acting doesn't exactly do the writing any favors.

But I do see the occasional glimmer of something better, but I'm scratching my head at what all the fuss is supposed to be about.

Re TW1 & TW2. It has been mentioned before and I would also suggest reading the books by Andrzej Sapkowski although not directly relevant they will add to the back story and for me supports immersion

Still playing BG:EE, just got to City of BG. I dislike this part a lot. Somehow BG fails to grab my interest unlike Athkatla. A good number of quests are available in BG city but I find them tedious and boring. I think divided sections of the city has a lot to do with that. Unlike Athkatla, I don't see different characteristics in each section of the city and yet I need to go through loading screen. Breaks immersion IMO.

Back
Top Bottom