CoV - Re-Review @ MMORPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
MMORPG reviews City of Villains again and came to a score of 7.8. This is why they decided to do another review of this 'old' game.
Where are all the bad guys?
That was how I felt reentering the world of Cities of Villains and, for an older game, it makes sense. The population has grown up and is PvP-ing and hanging out with the other big kids, so it was a lonely trip back. But even in older MMORPGs, you can see new players or alt players running around, looking to group while they level up fast. You feel immersed in a world populated by others, but being a villain, creating an evil character, running around? It felt, well, kinda lonely.
The uniqueness about Cities is how easy it is to get attached to your particular character, and the desire to take that character to the ultimate goal: PvP -- battling those awfully good guys in the case of Villains.
More information.

Huh, that's odd - I wonder why she had such trouble finding a team in...

Oh hell. I do know. That thrice damned exploit in the Mission Architect that let people farm their way to level 50 in a day or two. Nothing like an easy farm to clear the streets. City of Villains tends to have about half the population of City of Heroes and, if she was on a low population server anyway, yep. That would leave her without a group.

Not having friends to play with online definitely hurts this game bad. Heck, it hurts any MMO bad. Ah well, the exploit has been fixed, hopefully a few folks will walk off the farms and play.

That's exactly the reason why I either play an MMO when it starts, or not at all. One of the best, if not the best aspect of MMOs for me is the ability to play and explore the game with other people, for the first time, instead of blindly following someone who's done it with his 8 alts (if lucky) or alone since nobody wants to do it all over again.
An exception was just a few days ago, D&D online is sort of 'relaunching' in a F2P version, and I find that there are plenty of people in the low ends of the leveling spectrum, just like me, seeing it all for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom