Age of Decadence - January Update

aries100

SasqWatch
Iron Tower Studios has posted the changes, fixes and improvement made to this game in a changelog here. They have all been made during the game's development in the latest three months. The changelog is too long to post, so I'll list some of the improvements:
Improvements:
- Improved the look of the shanty town and the slums.
- If you leave the mine outpost before killing everyone, they will regroup and barricade the entrance.
- Added the "pickpocket" side story.
- Added the "refugees" side story.
- Added the "tower cellar" side story.
- Added the "shanty town" side story.
- Better transitions in Flavius quest.
- Better transitions in the goblet quest.
- The PC now walks to his objective when you click on it (doors, npcs) instead of being "too far away".
- Added fluff dialogue with TG members.
- Added a new skin type with Tattoos.
- Added the "merchant" side story.
- Added fluff dialogue with Zenon of the MG.
- Added a way to investigate Feng's house back room, and a reaction if you are found.
- Added the "preacher" side-story.
- Better camera for the storyteller.
- Added lots of filler NPCs.
More information.

I don't know much about Iron Tower, but I hope these guys have a real job that pays the bills. It seems like this has been in development longer than Diablo III... How promising is this project?

I don't know much about Iron Tower, but I hope these guys have a real job that pays the bills. It seems like this has been in development longer than Diablo III… How promising is this project?

The demo exists if you have doubts, I have been one of the beta-testers for about half a year now. It is as you say, these guys have jobs - the game is made in their "free" time.
Currently they recruited a new batch of beta testers for a hopefully final round of testing for the demo.
The demo (and thus the game) is different, challenging, and fun. It won't be everybodys cup of tea (what is?) but its worth checking out and trying a few different characters - that is what this game is all about, replay value, character building, seeing what different characters and choices lead to.

The final game? Well, given how much work polishing the demo was (highly branching plots come at a great price, part-time development does too), it will need testing and polishing at least until end of this year.

The final game? Well, given how much work polishing the demo was (highly branching plots come at a great price, part-time development does too), it will need testing and polishing at least until end of this year.

I'm not expecting AoD until 2014...and that's just by seeing the monthly updates they do.

Always better to set expectations low.

There is a demo of the combat engine.

Keep in mind that the details of the combat have changed quite a bit by now, and the visuals are far better, the game now uses a more recent version of the Torque engine. However, do expect a similar level of challenge also in the full demo and the full game.
The demo we are testing contains the entire first "hub" of the game by the way - the city of Teron with all Vignettes, all faction questlines, the early parts of the main quest, "side stories" and two satellite locations reachable from Teron. If you play different characters, you can sink many hours into it, although a single playthrough can be very variable in length, and some may be very short.

The demo seems quite promising, I like how different weapons have a very noticable effect on your foes. Little things like that can make an average game into a super game, imo. Now, I just need a bigger demo or, even better, the full version at some point. =p

-Carn

Since combat demo is quite old by now and combat is not the center of the game (I'm talking according to interviews and previews of course) I think it's a little pointless judging the game by the combat demo. What I'm waiting is the real demo that they have promised some time ago. And since there's no news about it I think demo was postponed to indefinite future.

Always better to set expectations low.

Actually my expectations are quite high after reading all the interviews and statements that Vince had to the public. What I'm waiting is a game that matches the RP quality of Fallout 1,2 and Arcanum (it's the everest standarts for me in any CRPG). I can't expect less at this point I'm afraid.

The demo hasn't been "postponed indefinitely". It's taking us longer than we've expected (due to working part-time and having a small team), but it's coming.

We started beta-testing in August and are still testing, fixing issues, and expanding some quests/dialogues based on the feedback we've received.

While I certainly understand the skepticism (long development cycle, indie studio), the fact that we're at the testing stage (i.e. many people had a chance to play the game) is a good sign.

This still a no magic game? I haven't looked at AOD in a long time...

I haven't checked the 'dex lately, but I am fairly certain about what I'll find :)

@Gokyabgu - It delivers the roleplaying, but don't expect it to be just like the classics. AoD focuses more strongly on character development, plot branching (mostly skill-check driven), and few, but generally bone-hard combat encounters (unless you play a non-combat char). But if focuses less on exploring and loot-gathering than these classics. The "text adventure" elements are another aspect that sets it apart. It's more innovative than it originally wanted to be, I think.

Anyway, the demo should'nt be too far away, so you'll be able to judge for yourself. Testers still find bugs and loose ends, and there are some interface updates and some polishing left to be addressed, but content wise, it's all there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom