Arcania - Teaser Site

Press rewind to hear what Jowood will do to Gothic with this game

Well, it could be said to be the epitome of Teasers.

We know:
-the name (we actually knew that already)
-that something continues (was there another Gothic tale, or do they refer to 1-3?*)
-there will be rain
-there will be winds blowing
-there will be thunder
*they don't have the balls to call it Gothic 4

Why would they call it Gothic 4 if Gothic 5 belongs to PB? They want to create their own brand: Arcania.

Why would they call it Gothic 4 if Gothic 5 belongs to PB? They want to create their own brand: Arcania.

Why even bother with "a gothic tale"?

And technically PB's Gothic wouldn't get number 5 because if this title's name is Arcania, there wouldn't be a Gothic 4.

If you want to create your own brand, why set it in the world of another brand. there.

Well i really dont understand that jowood wants to create their own brand,Piranha bytes want Risen so there wont be any Gothic 5?
Or will it be something like Arcania 2?
If PB has the rights to Gothic 5 they can still save it and make Gothic 3 be a bad dream on the journey from the Halls of Idorath to the mainland.I cant believe they are abandoning the Gothic world

Why even bother with "a gothic tale"?

And technically PB's Gothic wouldn't get number 5 because if this title's name is Arcania, there wouldn't be a Gothic 4.

If you want to create your own brand, why set it in the world of another brand. there.

The answer is simple: Because Gothic is still JoWooDs' biggest franchise until their rights expire. It's far easier and less risky to try to migrate a fan base from a successfull franchise than to create a completely new brand.
Gothic is the best selling RPG in the German market (JoWooDs' home market). It has a built-in user base of several 100k JoWooD can try to retain.

Well i really dont understand that jowood wants to create their own brand,Piranha bytes want Risen so there wont be any Gothic 5?
Or will it be something like Arcania 2?
JoWooD only had three options:
1. Don't create a new brand. Then their rights expire after Gothic 4, maybe plus a couple of add-ons. After that they have nothing. No new brand to continue and no right to use Gothic again.
2. Create a new brand outside of Gothic. That's risky. Most new brands fail. Probably more than 90%.
3. Create a new brand inside the Gothic universe and leverage this popular brand. Then they have everything from option (1) plus a new brand (Arcania) they control while avoiding the risk mentioned in option (2).

If PB has the rights to Gothic 5 they can still save it and make Gothic 3 be a bad dream on the journey from the Halls of Idorath to the mainland.I cant believe they are abandoning the Gothic world
Possible. If Risen becomes a solid success PB might be in the position to pull a Bethesda when they got Gothic back. This means release a full game every 24 months followed by an add-on the next year. Founding a 2nd team would also be a possibility. They were about to do this a long time ago, between Gothic and G2.

3. Create a new brand inside the Gothic universe and leverage this popular brand. Then they have everything from option (1) plus a new brand (Arcania) they control while avoiding the risk mentioned in option (2).
If Jowood go with choice (3) can PB do anything with the Gothic brand?I mean not only the name but also characters like NH,Xardas,Milten,Gorn,Diego,Rhobar etc?

Possible. If Risen becomes a solid success PB might be in the position to pull a Bethesda when they got Gothic back. This means release a full game every 24 months followed by an add-on the next year. Founding a 2nd team would also be a possibility. They were about to do this a long time ago, between Gothic and G2.
I doubt PB can do that they cant even release a bug free game after 3 years not to mention a 2nd team

If Jowood go with choice (3) can PB do anything with the Gothic brand?I mean not only the name but also characters like NH,Xardas,Milten,Gorn,Diego,Rhobar etc?
Who knows? It would make sense though.

I doubt PB can do that they cant even release a bug free game after 3 years not to mention a 2nd team
A matter of ressources and organisation. Bethesda uses the same licensed engine at least since Morrowind.
The schedule I posted allows them 4 years per game. The franchises would alternate.

A matter of ressources and organisation. Bethesda uses the same licensed engine at least since Morrowind.
The schedule I posted allows them 4 years per game. The franchises would alternate.
If they buy an engine they might have a chance but they are too stubborn to do it.

Yes, theoretically the whole lot would revert to PB and JoWood would not be able to use any characters created by PB without their permission- original created characters are protected by Intellectual Property laws (implied Trademarking, IIRC)- in any 'Arcania' sequel without the express permission of PB. PB could then make Gothic games and use the characters to their heart's content (almost certainly not any Arcania original characters though, depending on the text of the original agreement with JoWood) if they so desired.

I'd brace for most of the Gothic characters to bite the big one in Arcania, to be frank. It would fit with what is known of the new storyline, they won't have any future value to JoWood and especially if the split was as acrimonious as it seemed then potentially 'devaluing' what could be a competing brand won't concern JoWood at all.

I really hope that Gothic 4: Arcania has the same exploration style where you can climb stuff in it as in Gothic 2. That would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom