The Last Remnant - PC Demo Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Sir Markus writes that Square Enix has released a PC demo for The Last Remnant, which I must admit is completely off my radar, since Square Enix is pretty much the definitive jRPG house. Head over to the site to grab the demo or learn more and let us know in the comments if we should be covering this.
More information.

Interesting. I watched the video review of this game a few months back on GameTrailers, pretty cool looking game frankly.

This was actually released several weeks ago, I downloaded it out of curiosity. Pretty much a typical jrpg, with an interesting twist to the battles. Rather than having control over a single party of characters, you control several groups at once.

For a jrpg I didn't like it at all and other than Gothic they're the only ones I really like.

The game is backwards. You can run right through the whole demo just from entering then immediately exiting each area on the map till the last area appears.
That's all you have to do.

Would probably have to fight and level up at some point in the full game or talking to someone might actually be needed. But still. How lame.

Bit of a bummer for me as I just picked it up for the xbox not too long ago and probably would have preferred a PC version and do not really want to pay for it again. Still would rather see Lost Odyssey ported over ultimately instead of this.

Anyway downloading to see if I like it better on the PC. Also the game comes out like next week in the US so I would go ahead and put that in the news next week. Not sure we need a lot of news of ports like this as there tends to be a very vocal anti-jrpg crowd but I wouldn't complain about the occasional tidbit here and there.

I tried the demo a while back, but just could not figure out how to configure the controls. I think it's maybe lost something in translation, but it was enough for me to give up.

I'm supposed to get a review copy of this, but also admit I've paid no attention whatsoever to it ...

Bit of a bummer for me as I just picked it up for the xbox not too long ago and probably would have preferred a PC version and do not really want to pay for it again. Still would rather see Lost Odyssey ported over ultimately instead of this.

Anyway downloading to see if I like it better on the PC. Also the game comes out like next week in the US so I would go ahead and put that in the news next week. Not sure we need a lot of news of ports like this as there tends to be a very vocal anti-jrpg crowd but I wouldn't complain about the occasional tidbit here and there.

I downloaded the demo from Steam a couple of weeks and my impression was that this game was more suited for the consoles. The demo throws you right into the game with no idea what is going on or how the game mechanics work. I found it rather confusing but with several potentially interesting ideas.

The reviews have been somewhat poor though, so I haven't really decided yet.

Wow such negative sentiment about JRPG's. I don't get it but ok....

Not from me, I like jRPGs better than most 'so-called' PC RPGs (basically, any diablo style RPG). Sure, you have all the cliches in the world, but gameplay is much better than those clickfests. In fact, I'm playing Persona 4 these days and I'm loving it.

Messed around with it a bit, doesn't seem too bad, nor that great so far... But one thing I can comment on already, if you have some sort of controller (Especially an Xbox 360) controller laying around, just plug it in and play with that. It'll probably help with your experience of the game. I haven't played many "Games for Windows Live" outside of this demo and Fallout 3, but it seems to me like they try and cripple the mouse/keyboard controls in favor of gamepad/xbox controller in the ones I've tried so far.

they try and cripple the mouse/keyboard controls in favor of gamepad/xbox controller in the ones I've tried so far.

I'm not sure people have been figuring out that in Options you can switch it however you like. Highly complex options menu for all that.

If this newer demo still has the xbox controller as default that is a bad idea I agree.

*nod* I didn't really mean that it's impossible to switch the controls in Windows Live Games, but in the ones I've tried, it sure seems like they try to push you toward using an xbox controller or some such.

I could probably go on and say why I think they do that :p whether its a good or bad "trend" and what not... But I'm feeling waaay too lazy and I don't feel the subject is worth writing all that much about :p.

Personal I prefer both "normal" RPG's and JRPGs, and Square Enix has made some of the best JRPGs out there. I cant understand why people insist to play something that look like something they have played a thousand times before, variety is a bless as the say.

I'm not sure people have been figuring out that in Options you can switch it however you like. Highly complex options menu for all that.

Yes, but I couldn't figure out what all the different options/actions where. Too confusing or not well translated.

Downloaded the trial and got it up and running without too much trouble. Had to lower a lot of settings to get it to run without trouble but it works fine on the HDTV and runs better than the xbox. My cheap Logitech controller works fine with the game and the mouse control was not too bad once you acknowledge that you will not get a mouse pointer and the mouse wheel is your friend in the menus (actually like it better once I got used to it).

Certainly not for everyone and anyone with a predisposed dislike for anything console should stay way. I'm now considering buying it for the PC and just wish I paid more attention to the fact that they were going to release a PC version.

I've read a little about this game, and the general opinion was that the game is mediocre - I don't know, I haven't played the demo so far - ... but the question is:

Do I have to buy this game, to make Square release some serious titles* for the PC?

*FF

I think this release may be a bell whether for whether they will go forward with PC more. Basically they used UT3 which likely made it very easy to port to the PC. I doubt they will try porting too much more if this does not do well enough to pay for the porting work and make a nice little profit on top. I was totally surprised to see this for the PC as I thought most companies felt that console ports were not worth the effort and support especially with piracy being so much easier on the PC.

Having said that, I say that if you are not really interested then take a pass. The game is not spectacular and I just like this kind of game enough to find it to maybe buy it. I'm pretty sure its not worth it buying it for both platforms so I'm conflicted as I would much prefer the PC version but already have the xbox version.

I don't have an Xbox, I have a PS3. Any idea if this is coming for the PS3?

Probably not ... I don't think it sold great for X360, and doesn't seem likely to be a hit on PC, so no incentive ...

Back
Top Bottom