Skyrim - PC Interface Frustration @ GamaSutra

But the MAP - yuk. Is all that cloud there so they don't have to put in something that looks like settlements/towns? Instead they have these obscure icon things.
I'd like to be able to put my custom marker anywhere not just on what they think I need to get to. Like my current quest for instance. (cf the compass has lots of the same icon for different quests how does that help?)
Dragging the map would seem to be a natural thing to have but no they have this (slow) scroll to the edge thing.

Now *this* I can agree with. It's not horrible or game-breaking, but I would have liked to see a better map. Just a few things: you can disable tracking of the other quests so that there is only only quest on the compass. Makes it a little easier. ;) Also, you don't have to scroll to the edge on the map; you can just scroll the map with WASD. Still, I keep intuitively trying to mouse drag it, anyway. :(

In the other thread about Skyrim maps, someone said that the clouds would go away as you explore the map, but I haven't seen it yet.

There are other problems as well. The mouse scrolls do not work anymore and you can't move while you are talking to someone (you can do this if you are using a gamepad).

You can do this if you drag the mouse to the edges of the screen, but it is really inaccurate and difficult. It's made worse by the camera not zooming in to the character correctly a lot of the time when this happens and you have to do it yourself by this method.

Something in this key configuration I read here tells me that this game was mainly played by shooter players. Or at least by people who are used to play shooters.

All of these main keys I read about in this discussion are reachable with the left hand alone.

… WASD - Tab - F …

Um, I don't know what games you have played, but almost all first person rpgs use that....?? I think risen and gothic did as well?

The interface leaves a bit to be desired that's for sure. Where is my character sheet for instance? Skills/Powers/Effects/HP/Mana/Stamina/Character name/Level/Level Progress etc would have been nice to have on one page. I like that kind of overview.

Pressing tab to get out of menus feels very awkward but I'm getting used to it I guess.

The mouse feels very laggy in menus, is there any way to fix that?

Oh yeah, the map is almost worse than having no map at all.

Btw, love the game but it could use some polish in the interface department.

Oh yeah, the map is almost worse than having no map at all.
Honestly its been something I've liked more than previous games and don't have specific complaints about. The partial 3d perspective when moving around is a nice touch and useful to see if the site I want to go to is reachable if its on a mountain. It could use a little more ability to zoom out but I've liked it.

I've disabled the compass but still use the map to locate places I need to go and it works reasonably well for me.

Pressing tab to get out of menus feels very awkward but I'm getting used to it I guess.

Why does it feel awkward? It's so you don't have to move from WASD to do it. Moving your whole hand over to hit ESC is awkward, not TAB. You just think it's awkward because you're used to something else.

Why does it feel awkward? It's so you don't have to move from WASD to do it. Moving your whole hand over to hit ESC is awkward, not TAB. You just think it's awkward because you're used to something else.

Hence I'm getting used to it. Like the way I'm used to hitting spacebar between words when I type.

Ok, check this out...
I was a little broke on release day, so I grabbed a cracked copy of Skyrim. Had some texture issues, but worked fine otherwise otherwise. I was able to re-bind keys, and the menus actually had a little pointer that pointed at my selections in the menus.

Anyhow, a couple days later my paycheck rolled thru and I traded in the cracked copy for a legit one. On the legit copy, I can re-bind the keys, but the re-bound keys don't show up on the menus, i.e., R is the key to store items in chests and that's what it shows on the menu screen, but it isn't the key that performs that particular action anymore. It's like that for pretty much every key that performs a menu action - for the record, I bound the keys to perform like Oblivion's default setup, that's just what's easier for me in these games. Also, the little pointer I mentioned above doesn't exist, I'm forced to discern the light gray from the dark white color that indicates my active selection. I can't tell you how many times I've sold the wrong item, or stored the wrong item in the wrong place because of it. Is this normal??

Uh oh. There are no filters on the storage chest in your home. WTF was Bethesda thinking (or not, most likely)? Even FO3 had filters. My impressions just fell a notch.

yeah, the map blows. Could use a top down perspective w/ roads at least.

I went exploring at the top of the map and the cloud cover obscures everything. Annoying as hell because I can see my current location, but I have to use my paper map to see what is around me.

BTW, exploring the top is so worth it. Even if there are no dungeons there is always something to find. Mostly you'll find metal veins if you search around. I love that Skyrim does reward you in small ways for exploring out of the way places. I found a hidden chest once, but mostly it's herbs and ore that I'll find. It's much better than handing out uber equipment or having nothing at all there.

BTW, anyone know if Nirnroots are at all special this time around. I've been hording them just in case I need them later.

Back
Top Bottom