PC RPG for 2013

Interesting. What are the exceptional titles you have played so far, and what are the must-plays for the rest of the year?

Regardless, in 2014 I will surely try out Witcher 3, Project: Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Age Of Eschalon 3. Might & Magic X might also be interesting, since it's supposed to be similar to earlier titles in the series. Torment has been moved to 2015.

I get that games like Dragon Age 3 and Dark Souls 2 excite many, but they are not my type. Too combat-oriented.

The rest of the titles need some great reviews to convince me.

It's not really about 'exceptional titles' or 'must plays'. To me it's more about the quantity and type of games that are coming. Basically non-action/party-based which has been totally neglected for more than 15 years and now are coming back in force. Games like Witcher, Skyrim, Two Worlds and Mass Effect do nothing for me so you can imagine how empty my RPG panorama has been for a long time (I even got into Playstation 2 to play RPGs there!)

Antharion (another KS RPG) is currently scheduled for Q4 2013.

Meriwether I believe is also still scheduled for Q4, although I think it's likely to end up delayed to 2014.

Then there is the crossover games like Expeditions: conquistadors and Legends of Eisenwald.

Thank you, two other I didn't knew:
Antharion (TB-P-ISO)
It's piety it didn't achieved its kickstarter, the demo video is rather impressive. Ok the cartoon graphics need some time to get used to, but even before the end of video I started enjoyed them. Rather sad for them they got less than 500 backers, and it was even planned for Mac. But I couldn't find something else than the kickstarter, no site for the game. Will it be released?

Meriwether (A-S-FP/FB) Well seems like a crossover too.

It's not really about 'exceptional titles' or 'must plays'. To me it's more about the quantity and type of games that are coming. Basically non-action/party-based which has been totally neglected for more than 15 years and now are coming back in force. Games like Witcher, Skyrim, Two Worlds and Mass Effect do nothing for me so you can imagine how empty my RPG panorama has been for a long time (I even got into Playstation 2 to play RPGs there!)

Have you tried Tales of Maj'Eyal? It's not pro, but it surprised me, it's a false Rogue like, more a general very indie RPG setup on a Roguelike base. The managements of the character and equipments and the fights are quite top.

I played a Shadowblade and got the most fun solo turn based fights I ever saw. I had to play with ten skills if not more to get out of some more difficult fights. Alas that character had a limited number of resurrect and at end it died. I think this game shouldn't be played with permadeath, not enough random variations apart if at each replay you try a different class/build/specialization/skills.

The choice of abilities is just great, and choose them well can allow some great and very interesting fights.

And that it has outdoor with towns, dungeons, many lore, quests with a bit of telling around, some events management, diaries of past adventurers in dungeons, and so on, all of that build a cool setup rather pleasant, but fights and character management are the top points.

For the second character I'm trying a summoner, at first it seems less fun than the Shadowblade I build, but when discovering better the possibilities it improves and it is becoming more and more complex and interesting to play.

EDIT: I quoted 10 skills during fights but in fact it's more 15 and more and I don't count the passive skills. Many skills aren't fixed class choices but some are runes and essences, you mark the runes on your skin and but can remove one to put another rune. And many items provide a skill/spell/talent this is another way to not have too static characters because of their class. I started another Shadowblade this time with the option of infinite resurrects (you need make a Paypal gift to have this option) and that's definitely a great class base, quite fun.

Last edited:

Ooops I wanted comment that and started about Tales of Maj'Eyal, lol.

Small series or big series it's impossible to predict how good will be a RPG. For me I was fan of The Witcher 1 and I'm still fan. But The Witcher 2 despite all qualities didn't appealed me enough, I played the beginning including a bit of the town then left and never came back. Eschalon Book 2 was good stuff but not that good and a bit a disappointment.

For me Mass Effect 3 was a great time in 2012, that's me. :) But well the best time I spend with a RPG in 2012 was with Legend of Grimrock and

I mean that big of small, known or less known series, big developers or small developers, you can't predict how good will be a RPG. So be interested in something can definitely be just a game genre not seen since a long time or too few. And certainly not only among the big AAA stuff like quoted the post you answered.

And definitely, Turn Based with Party and an attempt of a full RPG with exploration, quests, stories and NPC is definitely something attracting my curiosity. Ok Diablo like games too, even if I expect none will reach my expectations I'm still curtious about them. :)

So I totally agree that for me this 2013 RPG list is just amazing, I don't remember to have seen such list since before Fallout 1. But well it could end in a poor list if most are failed or half failed RPG. But well I'd say that for me with Tales of Maj'Eyal that 2013 year started well.

Thank you, two other I didn't knew:
Antharion (TB-P-ISO)
It's piety it didn't achieved its kickstarter, the demo video is rather impressive. Ok the cartoon graphics need some time to get used to, but even before the end of video I started enjoyed them. Rather sad for them they got less than 500 backers, and it was even planned for Mac. But I couldn't find something else than the kickstarter, no site for the game. Will it be released?

Meriwether (A-S-FP/FB) Well seems like a crossover too.

I backed it. It got funded.

I'd be surprised if it comes out this year though its already been delayed once.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/879484120/antharion-an-old-school-rpg

That's a nice list!

I think we should have a graphical version of this, in calendar form, on the front page possibly hovering off to the side. So anybody can see at a glance what RPGs are coming up in the next couple months. And different territories should be indicated as well.

Last edited:
I backed it. It got funded.

I'd be surprised if it comes out this year though its already been delayed once.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/879484120/antharion-an-old-school-rpg

Ha ha two kick-starters for the same game, well done, those guys has perseverance and could go very far. Definitely the game I'm waiting this year with Divinity - Original Sin and Shadowrun Returns, all three on Mac woo well perhaps not in 2013 on Mac grrr. Well ok I'm very curious for much more than 3, almost all those planned on Mac and some more on PC (with or without consoles releases).

Do Antharion RPG have a site? The search seems bugs and shows me nothing, I'd love order the collector box for this Antharion. :)

EDIT: Ok found by adding dev name in search: http://orphicsoftware.com/game-details.html

That's a nice list!

I think we should have a graphical version of this, in calendar form, on the front page possibly hovering off to the side. So anybody can see at a glance what RPGs are coming up in the next couple months. And different territories should be indicated as well.

that would be cool but I think that almost none has a fixed release date and the few with a month release date announced will most probably be delayed a bit (Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, M&M X, ...).

that would be cool but I think that almost none has a fixed release date and the few with a month release date announced will most probably be delayed a bit (Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, M&M X, …).

Hmm, true. I guess we should just stick to a broader month-based system.

Dragon Age 3 is probably a March 2014 title, considering BioWare loves March, but other than that it looks about right.

Really good list. I was looking for something like this. Early 2013 seems really dry on the crag front but late 2013 could be incredible looking at that list.

Yes, I agree, summer -> Christmas looks pretty good, especially since we've got a few interesting semi-RPGs on their way as well (Age of Wonders 3 for example).

Here is a similar list from the Iron Tower forums, though limited to TB games - I think there are a few games in there that are not listed here yet.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3239.0.html

Cool thank you…. BUT BUT GRIMOIRE HAS BEEN RELEASED IN MAY???? I always believed this game was a myth or a sort of private joke. :)

EDIT: I updated first post, and added those in this list and some quoted in the thread that I forgot add. It's a nice list even with URL, but well I gave up collect and add all the URL in the post. :) His list seems include two tactical RPG in the general RPG section but that's ambiguous so I added them anyway in first post.

For the rough release order I wonder where he took all those dates I think some are unofficial. My method to setup a very rough order is different, announced release date is a first information, then it's about what's shown from more technical demos, and the project size vs the ambition size.

Anyway if there's nothing to preview/show it's probably because dev think it won't help so if it's released it will be probably a weak release. And if the project is too big for the team either the release will be quite delayed either this will probably be a weak release. :)

Last edited:
Omg I saw on Steam that The Banner Saga is released… and is a MMO, ha evil! get back! So I removed it from the list.

But I still wonder if it has perhaps a good single player gameplay. I have never seen a MMO with a good single player gameplay they all work well only in coop or vs. But The Banner Saga could be a rare beast and it seems more a tactical, so second reason to remove it to the list, but then it could be fun in single player. I wonder.

EDIT: Well seems like a pvp purely tactical battles, setup on a MMO base to manage players encountering, not for me and not relevant to the PC RPG list.

That is Factions. The actual Banner Saga has not yet been released.

That is Factions. The actual Banner Saga has not yet been released.

Huuu thanks for the precision, well I should have guess it, it was too different than what let think the kisckstarter page. Anyway good news, going add it back asap. :)

That is a good list, but as I get older I'm not picky about what I play anymore. To me it's all about variety now.

Yes that means I will enjoy the next DA 3 and ME game along with every other RPG game that gets released.:)

Ha ha, and when you'll get even older you'll perhaps realize that people can enjoy different stuff than you do and differently than you do and that doesn't make you smarter nor more right or anything. That will avoid you some pointless insistent hate against some dev, something I see that is still sticking on you to quote 2 Bioware games, as if that was the worst RPG, lol.

Back
Top Bottom